New GT500 has 772hp

ZYBORG

Let's roll..
Established Member
Premium Member
Then why do all the Professional driver operate Auto's? I'm not an F1 guy or even a fan but they all operate auto's.

If it was SKILL in operating a manual transmission then they would all be using a manual transmission to show who has more skill and therefore a faster lap time.

And so does every racer on Street Outlaws. The REAL skill is u getting down the track without getting out of it when it gets squirly and that applies to both Drag racing and Track racing.

Its NOT due to ones ability to depress a clutch and put a car in gear. That is not the skill one needs to go fast.

See above...

If you dont understand after that, sorry I cant help you...

GT Premi

Well known member
Established Member
So if the stick shift is better and takes more skill and therefore would result in better track times why aren't the Professional drivers using them?

Huh?? Something requiring more skill doesn't mean it's also going to be faster. It simply takes more skill to drive a manual transmission car. Period. That doesn't automatically mean a driver in a manual car is going to put up faster lap times. Although, the manual equipped ZL1 and Z06 do produce better lap times than the automatic versions.

Also, some professional drivers DO use manuals. NASCAR is still all manual. IMSA still has cars with traditional manual transmissions, especially in the ST class. The Trans Am series still has cars with manuals. I believe the only racing series that have wholesale done away with traditional manuals are Formula, DTM, Indycar, and WRC. Some of those series are racing against the clock as well as other drivers, so they need every last nth of time they can get.

If you think all professional race series have abandoned manual transmissions, then you're missing out on A LOT of racing. Another thing, why do you think the 911R was selling upwards of $400K? Why do you think Porsche brought back the manual option for the GT3? Because drivers like to be involved and engaged in the driving experience. An automatic strips away most of the involvement.

Revvv

Infinity Poster
Established Member
Or maybe those "horrible" automatics allow you to concentrate on your line or driving....
Each has their positives.
When I was 20, I only wanted a manual. Now that i am closing in on 50, i will take 90% of the connection I get from driving an auto.
Of course, I wouldnt buy a convertible anymore either. Tired of listening to my wife bitch about it being too cold on most days.
My 02 GT Convertible could be the last manual convertible I own. I don't see me getting rid of the car though.

At the moment I have 3 vehicles that are not drive by wire. My 02 GT, the 04 Grand Cherokee my daughter is driving, and my 03 Dodge Ram that needs a new engine.

I love technology, and normally embrace it. However, I have a problem being disconnected with vital operating functions of a vehicle. I want a true steering shaft, a real throttle cable, and brakes that function in relation to my brake pedal's union with the master cylinder.

I can deal with a paddle shifter or some form of a bump shifter.

Sent from my [device_name] using the svtperformance.com mobile app

SirShaun

Established Member
I don't think this guy would have a smile that big or feel as good as he does if he had an auto. Nor would he be able to call out bitches.

Auto wins overall in multiple scenarios, but they are boring unless your driving them at the edge.

Last edited:

GNBRETT

Established Member
Premium Member
Beer Money Bros.
Fair point Nascar still uses them but they don't slow down into the corners like F1 cars do. Their pretty much in high gear for the entire race so not really a accurate comparison.

But again, the SKILL of a driver is not the ability to manually put a car in gear its his ability to drive the car thru the corners faster then the next guy and in F1 racing where they corner throughout the entire race their ALL using an auto so if the Manual transmission made them faster they would all be using them yet none are.

Huh?? Something requiring more skill doesn't mean it's also going to be faster. It simply takes more skill to drive a manual transmission car. Period. That doesn't automatically mean a driver in a manual car is going to put up faster lap times. Although, the manual equipped ZL1 and Z06 do produce better lap times than the automatic versions.

Also, some professional drivers DO use manuals. NASCAR is still all manual. IMSA still has cars with traditional manual transmissions, especially in the ST class. The Trans Am series still has cars with manuals. I believe the only racing series that have wholesale done away with traditional manuals are Formula, DTM, Indycar, and WRC. Some of those series are racing against the clock as well as other drivers, so they need every last nth of time they can get.

If you think all professional race series have abandoned manual transmissions, then you're missing out on A LOT of racing. Another thing, why do you think the 911R was selling upwards of $400K? Why do you think Porsche brought back the manual option for the GT3? Because drivers like to be involved and engaged in the driving experience. An automatic strips away most of the involvement.

Revvv

Infinity Poster
Established Member
Then why do all the Professional driver operate Auto's? I'm not an F1 guy or even a fan but they all operate auto's.

If it was SKILL in operating a manual transmission then they would all be using a manual transmission to show who has more skill and therefore a faster lap time.

And so does every racer on Street Outlaws. The REAL skill is u getting down the track without getting out of it when it gets squirly and that applies to both Drag racing and Track racing.

Its NOT due to ones ability to depress a clutch and put a car in gear. That is not the skill one needs to go fast.
I'm not sure you understand the differences in racing styles, the need for different transmissions, or how any of the combinations properly apply power.

On a road course I personally prefer a manual. I want a clutch and a gear box. I may need to make a split second gear change to avoid an accident, or to help advance in a corner or tight spot.

On a drag strip, and auto suffices to a point. Once you begin running low et numbers, you want control over the shift point, but you do not want the delay of a clutch. You will want to launch, reach the shift point, and just bump to the next gear (normally a simple two speed powerglide).

I was extremely competitive in the Super Street Bike class with a foot shifter. I was consistent. After a couple seasons I gave up and went with an air shifter. One button slammed the bike into gear with a slight interruption of the engine.

I miss that pop and flame of an air shifter.

08mojo

Established Member

It's not all professional drivers and it has nothing to do with skill. Every single decision made in top tier motorsports (F1, WEC, etc...NOT NASCAR) is in regards to reducing lap times. A human is never going to shift as fast and precisely lap after lap as the computer-controlled sequential boxes in those cars...never.

SVTP really knows have to turn a thread into complete garbage...

SVTPete83

Established Member
Fair point Nascar still uses them but they don't slow down into the corners like F1 cars do. Their pretty much in high gear for the entire race so not really a accurate comparison.

But again, the SKILL of a driver is not the ability to manually put a car in gear its his ability to drive the car thru the corners faster then the next guy and in F1 racing where they corner throughout the entire race their ALL using an auto so if the Manual transmission made them faster they would all be using them yet none are.

If I didn’t know better I would think this was some pretty good trolling lol

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

GNBRETT

Established Member
Premium Member
Beer Money Bros.
Drag strip: Auto wins.
F1 Racing: Auto wins.
Street Racing: Auto wins.

All of these type of racing take quite a bit of skill to win at and its not based on them having a stick shift in their car. So are we to assume that they don't have the proper skills to operate a manual transmission therefore they chose an Auto? That would sound quite ridiculous wouldn't it?

So NONE of those applications apply power better with a stick shift so I would say its u that has a misunderstanding as to which transmission applies power better.

I'm not sure you understand the differences in racing styles, the need for different transmissions, or how any of the combinations properly apply power.

On a road course I personally prefer a manual. I want a clutch and a gear box. I may need to make a split second gear change to avoid an accident, or to help advance in a corner or tight spot.

On a drag strip, and auto suffices to a point. Once you begin running low et numbers, you want control over the shift point, but you do not want the delay of a clutch. You will want to launch, reach the shift point, and just bump to the next gear (normally a simple two speed powerglide).

I was extremely competitive in the Super Street Bike class with a foot shifter. I was consistent. After a couple seasons I gave up and went with an air shifter. One button slammed the bike into gear with a slight interruption of the engine.

I miss that pop and flame of an air shifter.

GNBRETT

Established Member
Premium Member
Beer Money Bros.
Or maybe just ur ignorance to which transmission is used 100% of the time by both competitive street racers and professional Track and Drag racers....

All I keep hearing is how the stick shift requires more SKILL yet none of the professional racers use them. I guess professional racers just want to go slower then huh?

If I didn’t know better I would think this was some pretty good trolling lol

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

08mojo

Established Member
Or maybe just ur ignorance to which transmission is used 100% of the time by both competitive street racers and professional Track and Drag racers....

All I keep hearing is how the stick shift requires more SKILL yet none of the professional racers use them. I guess professional racers just want to go slower then huh?

Please tell me you are trolling.

GT Premi

Well known member
Established Member

So, in your world, the only "professional" racers are drag racers, Formula 1 drivers, and scripted "reality" Street Outlaws? I gave you just a tiny list of PROFESSIONAL racing series where PROFESSIONAL drivers still use manual transmissions (and there are TONS more), and you're still saying "no professionals use manuals."

ZYBORG

Let's roll..
Established Member
Premium Member
GNBRETT what you fail to realize is that your rationale proves my whole argument.

Yes, auto wins most races/sports events. Auto is an advantage over manual. Less possible errors / loss of performance over the manual, hence why race teams go with the autos. They want to win races, not show which driver had more skill.

Races are won on a multitude of factors, not solely on driver’s skill.

Go drive a new z06 on a drag strip in both forms (auto and manual), I bet your auto run is faster than your manual. Same story if you take both to the road course, your auto lap will likely be faster.

Only people with EXTREME skill like Randy P. can get the manual z06 to go fastet than the auto. Not because “its easier to drive” but because he is just that proficient at operating it.

_Snake_

Established Member
Think about if for a second...

Which car is usually faster an auto hellcat or a manual hellcat? Why do you think that is?

Why do you think race cars resort to autos instead of manuals? Whether draging or road course?

The answer is less chance for user error. Faster shifts. Consistensy.

It takes an INCREDIBLY skilled driver to get down a track in record time, consistently in a manual car.

Pick the wrong gear, slip the clutch wrong, grind gear, not fast enough, too fast, over rev, under rev, etc... and it just cost you the race.

In a manual you are much more engaged. Have to coordinate much more. Takes more skill to do correctly.

/ end thread

blk02edge

Established Member

All of these type of racing take quite a bit of skill to win at and its not based on them having a stick shift in their car. So are we to assume that they don't have the proper skills to operate a manual transmission therefore they chose an Auto? That would sound quite ridiculous wouldn't it?

So NONE of those applications apply power better with a stick shift so I would say its u that has a misunderstanding as to which transmission applies power better.
Automatic and whats in F1 are two very different things.

Revvv

Infinity Poster
Established Member

I do occasional track days, and even participate in a couple SCCA events. I will always choose a manual for a road course when in competition. At the end of the day, lap times count, and sometimes other people on the track dictate the use of the gear you need to be in.

Automatics are better today than ever before, but if you and I are in two identical cars, with a field of other drivers, I will outrun you in a manual vs your auto. That manual may be a paddle shifter, but I still have the ability to choose where to use the engine's torque and horsepower. I may need to be at the top of a gear in a corner. An automatic doesn't know this. An auto only knows efficiency.

I also enjoy a detour through Deals Gap / Tail of the Dragon when I am anywhere near that curvy road. Again, I prefer a manual.

Users who are viewing this thread