New guy just found this specific forum

pinetopbilld

Established Member
Hello everbody, I just posted this thread in another area and then stumbled on to the Open Track Specific area. Should have put it here first so here goes.

I was raised and have always been a Ford guy, but this is the first Mustang I have owned. Driven several, but first ownership. I have searched and done tons of reading and know what I want the car to do, but not exactly sure how to get there. I need this car to wear several hats. Not going to be a daily driver, more of a weekend toy. (1) It is going to be a cruiser when I want to take my kids with me. (2) I need it to really handle backroad curves when I am by myself. (3) I want it to serve me for occasional HPDE open track events, it doesn't have to be totally modded out just fun to drive. Handling and reliability are more important to me than big power gains. I could stand a few bolt-ons as long as reliability is not sacrificed.

Here is what I am kind of hung up on, I was looking for a car to play with, but come across this car and couldn't pass it up. It is a 97 Cobra coupe with 19,000 miles on it. I bought it from an older guy, always garaged. I don't know if I should be modding this car or just leave it alone.

So I guess I am kind of asking two things (1) How do I get this car to be what I want I to be? (2) Or is the car too nice and I should just leave it alone?

svttim

MCA National Director
Established Member
Hello everbody, I just posted this thread in another area and then stumbled on to the Open Track Specific area. Should have put it here first so here goes.

I was raised and have always been a Ford guy, but this is the first Mustang I have owned. Driven several, but first ownership. I have searched and done tons of reading and know what I want the car to do, but not exactly sure how to get there. I need this car to wear several hats. Not going to be a daily driver, more of a weekend toy. (1) It is going to be a cruiser when I want to take my kids with me. (2) I need it to really handle backroad curves when I am by myself. (3) I want it to serve me for occasional HPDE open track events, it doesn't have to be totally modded out just fun to drive. Handling and reliability are more important to me than big power gains. I could stand a few bolt-ons as long as reliability is not sacrificed.

Here is what I am kind of hung up on, I was looking for a car to play with, but come across this car and couldn't pass it up. It is a 97 Cobra coupe with 19,000 miles on it. I bought it from an older guy, always garaged. I don't know if I should be modding this car or just leave it alone.

So I guess I am kind of asking two things (1) How do I get this car to be what I want I to be? (2) Or is the car too nice and I should just leave it alone?

Mod the crap out of it!

Many others her more informed than me to answer how

TXPD

Rookie Racer
Established Member
make sure the brakes are upgraded which is good for street or the track. maybe some cooling upgrades. otherwise, spend your money on track time.

gcassidy

One more lap!
Established Member
Welcome. The '97 is a great platform to get started in learning about how to drive on the track, as well as a nice street driver. You'll get lots of advice here about what can be done to it, but as for HPDE events, as Rob said, you want to spend most of you money and efforts on seat time. Make sure your tires and brakes are in good shape. New brake fluid and good street performance pads. Also, up to '99, the Cobra front brake lines had issues, and Really Should be replaced with braided lines for track use.

Don't worry about destroying a classic. They're nice cars, but unless you'll be keeping it for 50 years, won't ever be a cash cow. But do know that you need to be able to write it off, financially and emotionally, if you take it on track. 99% of the cars do fine, but there is that 1% of Woops....Shit!!!...BAM!.

Have fun with it, and be sure to ask lots of questions.

Sirl

Established Member
IF I WERE YOU, I WOULD...

Get some good spring, shocks, tires, brake pads.

Enjoy the car as it, and let the car "tell you" what to mod (I read that here just recently, and really liked that quote)

You can drag race, hpde, cruise, do what ever you want with it.

I wish someone gave me that advice when I started.
I have the entire Maximum Motorsports catalog in my car, wish I just did the basics, and enjoyed it like that.

My buddy races a bone stock 97 ( i think ) cobra in TTD, and he's still faster than me. Did I "waste" my money? no, not really, but you can have just as much fun in a stock car, then a modified car, if you find the right guys to run with.

I'm sure you will get many more opinions, but thats just mine.

Post up some pics when you get a chance.

TXPD

Rookie Racer
Established Member
here's an example of what you really dont need. the car in my sig is an fr500c. a grand am race car. the shock package on the car costs $7k new. i make sure they have proper pressure in the reserve cannisters and thats it. i otherwise never touch them. they are triple adjustable. i never adjust them. i have changed the rear spring rate 50lbs and the car was LOOOOOOOSSSSEEEEEE!!!

right now i am at the level where big changes like spring rates i can feel. but small changes to the shocks i dont feel all that much. if i can feel them, its something that i can fix with an air pressure change.

what i am saying is that when you are starting out, you really cant feel anything and have any confidence that you can know why its happening and make the correct change. it might be your driving.

just have fun. you will be uncomfortable on the track until you earn a comfort zone. then you will push beyond that comfort zone and the car will make you uncomfortable again. then you change the car to make it more comfortable. it could be that the car starts to twitch at one end or the other or that the brakes fade at the end or maybe you are comfortable enough that you are noticing the temp gauge more easily and see the car is running a little warm.

one step at a time. dont try to advance too fast.

pinetopbilld

Established Member
I have been searching and reading alot and it sounds like everything you guys are saying is what I have been reading. Which for me, is a good thing. What a relief it is to hear you guys say that I can leave the car pretty well stock and still be safe, fast, and fun.

With that being said, I appreciate the invitation to ask many questions because I have plenty, and it seems the more I think about it the more I have. I guess the only thing to do is ask away. Hopefully this could turn into an interesting read for other newcomers.

First obstacle, Location. I am in southeastern, KY. Where in the world can I get some seat time in. VIR is like 310 miles away. Mid Ohio Sports Car Course is about the same distance. Carolina Motorsports is a little farther. Not sure about any other locations. When I look at these distances and watch videos of track days and I see people with big enclosed trailers and tons of traveling equipment, I am like man I thought this was going to be somewhat affordable. I guess it is a good thing that I won't be spending a ton on mods because I am going to need it to travel. So there is two questions in one. Locations and cost effective ways of getting there. Sorry guys I am very green, but you never know until you ask.

Sirl, one other little thing. You said your buddy races a stock 97 Cobra in TTD, what is that?

Last edited:

Sirl

Established Member
NASA (National Auto Sport Association) is a national club that also is a "Race Club".
Thet next step beyond HPDE for some people is TT or Time Trials. You are out on track with other similarly prepared cars, and you are strictly racing for time, not position. It is not Wheel to Wheel racing. The D is his class. ie: TTA, TTB, TTC, TTD, etc, etc.

You can read more about it here: NASA Time Trial

This is the main reason you should keep your car stock for now. If you start modding, and later decide to do TT, the mods will quickly move you up in class, and not be competitive at all. Basically the boat that I am in. Although you can still get reclassified by hp/weight ratio, but thats another issue.

As for the distance to the track, thats a tough one. Ed Z., he's on this forum as well, lives in NC, and has often drove his 97 Cobra down to Sebring for track weekends. Guessing 5-700 miles each way??

I dont have a car hauler either, here is my set up for when I travel beyond my local tracks:

4x8 trailer from Harbor Freight for tires, scooter, tool box etc. Works great!
IMG_0970.jpg

But I'm lucky being in S. Florida, Homestead and PBIR are within 1 hour, Sebring, 2.5 hours, Daytona, 5 hours.

Then again, you can also rent a p/u truck and trailer as well. What ever fits your budget. Oh, and my car has 98,000 miles on it, and I drive it hard! Your car, with under 20k miles... I'd have no problem driving 300+ miles to an event, flog it, and drive it home. You should be fine.

pinetopbilld

Established Member
First off that is an awesome set up you have. If we were traveling on the road and my eight year old daughter saw you she would be like, "Daddy! Look at that Mustang!"

I guess 300 miles ain't that bad especially if I am only going to try and do a couple just to get my feet wet. Besides, I have a truck and my uncle has a nice trailer that I could borrow, and if things work out and I like it I could buy my own. That's the scary part I don't think I am going to like it, I'm afraid I will LOVE it. Here in the mountains of Eastern Ky, curvy and narrow roads are a way of life so I am hoping I will be right at home on the track.

Thanks for the advice on Maximum Motorsports as well, because guess what, their catalog is on my table and guess what I was about to start doing. I am sure their stuuf is great and I will be needing it in the future, but you are right, I want to enjoy the car and progress with it.

Question time, Are there any other tracks around me that I don't know about?

Also sounds like I need braided brake lines whether I plan on racing or not just for safety. I have heard that there are as many as 5 lines that can be changed. Also I want the best. Since I am only doing a few mods I don't care to pay for the best. I have heard bad stuff about crimped lines or whatever, I can't stress enough, best SS braided lines, all of them, not just front?

gcassidy

One more lap!
Established Member
The front are the most important. In fact, finding braided for my '98 is almost impossible (for reasons explained to my by MM and Steeda). That's not the case for the '97, but I'd just do the fronts if it was me.

Russell, Goodridge, MM. Any should be good to use.

Sirl

Established Member
Ya, my rears are still the stock rubber ones.

HPDE is fun no matter what car you drive. My old track car/DD was a Nissan Sentra Spec V. LOVED that car. Did dozens of events, and it never missed a beat.

Remember... K.I.S.S. applies here. Keep It Simple Stupid :)

The more and bigger shit you buy, the more hassle it can be.

I know guys that have went from tracking a street car, building it into a full track car, truck, trailer, etc., and end up selling everything off, and going back to tracking a nice street car.

TXPD

Rookie Racer
Established Member
* 5 hours is not a bad investment to get to VIR. VIR is to racing what Pebble Beach or Augusta is to golf. It is a country club that treats you very nice with a world class course to play on. you wont regret the haul. VIR is 3 hours from me. Road Atlanta is 8 and every trip to RA is worth it.

* Big trailers. The trailers are for those that are trying to do a lot more than what you want to do. Many of those are racers or time trailers or serious track drivers with dedicated, non-street legal track cars. They carry several sets of tires and spare parts. Some bring radios and even scales.

I have a 38' trailer and often I sleep in the trailer to save hotel bills. It has a fridge and a microwave and i bring a little grill to save on food expenses. but i race. i cant drive my car to the track.

you dont need all that.

pinetopbilld

Established Member
I checked out the HPDE and Race Clubs, that helps alot.

All of my coach's used the K.I.S.S method, looks like it can apply here as well.

TXPD, After hearing that, I feel lucky to be as close to VIR as I am. That would be a great place for me to break the ice. Can you camp there? Sounds like such a nice place that they may not allow it.

I read in the regular SN95 forum that all 94-98 brake lines were not that great and if you did have to replace one that they don't make them like our originals any more and that they have been upgraded to 99 and up specs. So I was figuring that if I needed to spend money to get 99+ specs that I might as well spend a little extra and get braided. I read that from a guy who has tons of posts on here and seems very knowledgeable, Jimmy or Jim something.

pinetopbilld

Established Member
Jimmysidecar is the guy's name. I have seen lot's of his posts. So it looks like I need to replace all lines regardless. I thought I read something somewhere about a fifth line?

brkntrxn

Inappropriate Motorsports
Established Member
Greg said everything that needs to be said. Feel free to track a 97 Cobra, they are not anything special. Change to braided brake lines, flush with DOT4 synthetic brake fluid, put on some Carbotech XP10F/XP8R pads, get some good 200 treadwear tires and go have fun.

You do not need anything else.

-Kevin

pinetopbilld

Established Member
Man am I glad that I started by doing a bunch of research and asking questions before I just started throwing money at it. I have come full circle. My mind was on spending and putting everything on the car first and then learning how to drive it, which would have been totally wrong for me learning how to drive not mention hard on the wallet. On the plus side since I am not doing a ton of suspension mods, I found an awesome deal on a Magnaflow Magnapack catback, so I said what the heck. Hope it sounds ok with the rest of the stock exhaust.

Still would like know about those brake lines.

WOT 88

Established Member
NASA (National Auto Sport Association) is a national club that also is a "Race Club".
Thet next step beyond HPDE for some people is TT or Time Trials. You are out on track with other similarly prepared cars, and you are strictly racing for time, not position. It is not Wheel to Wheel racing. The D is his class. ie: TTA, TTB, TTC, TTD, etc, etc.

You can read more about it here: NASA Time Trial

This is the main reason you should keep your car stock for now. If you start modding, and later decide to do TT, the mods will quickly move you up in class, and not be competitive at all. Basically the boat that I am in. Although you can still get reclassified by hp/weight ratio, but thats another issue.

As for the distance to the track, thats a tough one. Ed Z., he's on this forum as well, lives in NC, and has often drove his 97 Cobra down to Sebring for track weekends. Guessing 5-700 miles each way??

I dont have a car hauler either, here is my set up for when I travel beyond my local tracks:

4x8 trailer from Harbor Freight for tires, scooter, tool box etc. Works great!
IMG_0970.jpg

But I'm lucky being in S. Florida, Homestead and PBIR are within 1 hour, Sebring, 2.5 hours, Daytona, 5 hours.

Then again, you can also rent a p/u truck and trailer as well. What ever fits your budget. Oh, and my car has 98,000 miles on it, and I drive it hard! Your car, with under 20k miles... I'd have no problem driving 300+ miles to an event, flog it, and drive it home. You should be fine.

Good an FL guy....I have a few questions. I don't mean to hi-jack this guys thread, but no reason to start another.

I have had some of the same questions that the first poster has asked, so this thread so far has been informative. I also am looking at backing out of my current hobby and getting into open track. Looking at finding a decent 96-98 cobra.

I have been on NASA, and the SCCA websites, but I am a bit confused as to which is a better fit or are they both equal? Once I get a car secured, what next? Suit up and Show up? Those websites mention some sort of driving school, is that for upper classes, or can the average joe off the street show up and enter certain events?

PBIR is the closest track to me, would it be best to show up to a few events first and spectate ?

Can I drive your car?? :-D Just kidding.

Sorry for the barrage of questions, gotta start somewhere I guess.

Last edited:

Sirl

Established Member
Thought this would be appropriate here :)
Happy New Year!

Just a little New Years Humor.

------------------------------------------------------------------

Mostly true story, not intended to be anything other than maybe a little humorous, you may know this guy however that I will call Sigmund

Story starts sometime around July 2002.

Sigmund: “Man we got the new Cobras can’t wait to get it on the track”
Ed: “There’s an event in September”.
Sigmund: “Can’t make that one, I want the new Steeda G++ Track suspension before I take it out.”

Six months later.
Ed: “Got a track event next month you gonna come”
Sigmund: “Naw can’t make it, I want the new Godzilla vs. King Kong Supersupercharger, I will need that extra HP on the track.”

Six months later
Sigmund: “Naw, can’t make it , I am gonna send the car to Kangaroo Racing down in Australia to see if they can fix the tune after I installed the GKK Supersupercharger.”

Six months later
Sigmund: “Man I would love to but with 650 HP I want to get the new Stoptech Larger than Big, Kryptonite 12 piston brakes, with the diamond encrusted pads, the spent uranium rotors with the Freon direct assisted cooling kit. Before I hit the track”

Six months later
Sigmund: “I am having some problems with the stock motor, probably need a rebuild after running 25lbs of boost for too long. Gonna probably send it to Fruits and Nuts Racing out in California for their super 900 HP build and Kangaroo Racings new tune with the GKK Supersupercharger.”

Six months later
Sigmund: “Man I would love to , but I need some new rubber, but am going to wait until Ford Racing starts supplying the new 18’ Bling Blings, and UPR is going to install the full Billet Shiny Kit.”

Six months later
Sigmund: “I think that I am ready, I am wondering what class I should register for? You know I got the Steeda G+++, the GKK Supersupercharger, the Stoptech Larger than Big Kit, the Kangaroo Racing tune, with the Fruits and Nuts 900 HP rebuild, not to mention the 18 Bling Blings and the new Nitto IIR’s…”

Ed: “Don’t forget the UPR Billet Shiny Kit.”

Sigmund: “yea that too, so what do you think?”

Ed: “Beginner??”

Users who are viewing this thread