New guy just found this specific forum

Sirl

Established Member
WOT,
I would highly suggest you first come out to an event and specate. You will gain a wealth of information by doing so.

There is a NASA event next weekend, at Homestead, Jan. 7-8.

Free to come hang out and ask questions.

I'm going to try to come out on Sat. but either way, there will be plenty of guys there and cool cars to see.

brkntrxn

Inappropriate Motorsports
Established Member
Pick an event you want to attend, get on here and find out who is going. Then offer to buy their lunch if they will take you by the hand and show you around. Best way to get started. That person has just become your trackdaddy.

BTW, the "Ed" is Sirl's post is my trackdaddy and trackdaddy to MANY, MANY others.

LOL.

Pinetop -- Do a search for braided stainless steel lines for your car. Or maybe MR CASSIDY will speak up and tell you a brand and where to buy them.

-Kevin

WOT 88

Established Member
Thanks for the advice guys, appreciate it.

Sirl, I very well may make it down there, might work out good. Thanks again.

TXPD

Rookie Racer
Established Member
you can camp at vir, yes. factory brakes on sn95 cars are not great for racing. they will give up after a while. you will not be going fast enough your first few times out to out produce them, though. my cobra r race car had the factory brakes on it and they were fine up til i wanted to run hour long sessions.

you can put a 2000r brembo kit on your car inexpensively once you need it. you probably wont need it til your second year. vir is not hard on brakes anyway.

WPBcobra

Established Member
Thanks for the advice guys, appreciate it.

Sirl, I very well may make it down there, might work out good. Thanks again.

Hey WOT here is a good link to events going on in FL http://www.trackweekend.com/
Alot of the FL track guys are on here. If you do come down next weekend to homestead ill be running TT both days. I got a Flat black 97 cobra and loving tracking it.

WOT 88

Established Member
Checked the site out, very informative. Thanks for all the replies guys, really going to try to make it down there this weekend, look forward to meeting some of you.

David Hester

Established Member
Question time, Are there any other tracks around me that I don't know about?

!st welcome. I'm down in middle East Tennessee. VIR, Road Atlanta, Rockingham, Carolina Motorsports Park, Barber, Summit Point, Atlanta Motorsports Park Should be open in 2012. Putnam, Indiana Motorsports park (or O'Riely or whatever they call it now. Take a look at ETRSCCA down in Knoxville from you. They have autocrosses in Bristol from time to time.
Southeast Division also has several hillclimbs in Western NC.
http://sedivracing.org/

Last edited:

pinetopbilld

Established Member
I found these: Russell Performance Part# 693400 - Russell Street Legal Brake Line Kits

It says they are a front and rear kit for 96-98 Cobra. Just what I was looking for, all four lines. I think someone mentioned earlier that this is a reputable brand.

David Hester

Established Member
Hillclimbs. Don't forget hillclimbs ;-)
[ame=http://vimeo.com/16254970]SCCA SOUTHERN HILLCLIMBING on Vimeo[/ame]

pinetopbilld

Established Member
Still getting the car ready and have another question. From my continuing research on the forum, I read that brand new street tires with lots of tread get chewed up pretty quickly and that some slightly worn out tires (not completely bald with wires showing) worked just fine. Any truth to that?

Another reason for my question is I don't want to mess up my stock rims. I have seen where people run the R's, but those are getting hard to find. Any other factory Mustang wheels that I could run? All different kinds of GT and Cobra wheels are inexpensive and readily available on craigslist, but I'm just not sure which ones, if any, are track worthy. Ideas?

David Hester

Established Member
Tread patterns are to move water, not grip pavement. The deeper the tread, the more the blocks move around. Bend a paperclip back and forth 5-6 times quickly. That's a full treaded tire. That heat breaks down the lugs and you get chunks. There are tons of take offwheels for 5 lug Mustang.
1/2 to 1/4 tread will work. Lot's of folks on here will say learn on street tires, but I started on Yokohama A-008's when they 1st came out in the mid '80's. Right tool for the right job. :burn: ;-)

pinetopbilld

Established Member
I know everyone recommends 17 inch wheels, but how important is the width? Since I am looking for used wheels I have seen widths in 8, 9, and 10 inches. I have seen 17's from 1994-2004, GT's, Mach's, Bullit's, and Cobras? Also what about newer S197 wheels? I know that is a broad range but I am just trying to narrow this down a bit so I know what to focus on looking for.

99COBRA2881

Piss on Fox Sports1
Established Member
17x9 on all four corners. Rotate them often front to back to get the most life out of your tires.

David Hester

Established Member
What Anthony said. 17X9 work fine. Offset is different on '05 plus, but lug pattern is the same. They don't set out as far. Might have some tire rub on shocks/struts. I'd stick with 94-2004.

Last edited:

brkntrxn

Inappropriate Motorsports
Established Member
Get some takeoff 03/04 Terminator wheels and run 275s on all four corners. It is the tried and true combination. Cheap, available, and easy to rotate (the tires and the car).

You can usually find used sets of these wheels in the $75-100 each range. Don't worry about beautiful, no one can tell what they look like on the track and after you get the bug, you won't care.

Users who are viewing this thread