new hood mod

everythintek

Established Member
inspired by a fellow local member, i added a new mod to the hood:

IMG_4944.jpg

IMG_4938.jpg

IMG_4937.jpg

IMG_4939.jpg

the heat extraction is crazy, just at idle it pours out. i can only imagine what it does while im driving.

and the fr500s go bye bye tomorrow for some 18" 2000 cobra r rims... im stoked.

AntiHeightPunk

Established Member
that car is on the way to having way too much going on...not feeling any of the last couple mods you have done:poke:

everythintek

Established Member
i know its not for everyone.. this mod wasnt for looks. it was for function. The sonic blue cantrell motorsports cobra proved its use, so i copied it. the car is starting to get setup for open track as i am moving down to cali and will be getting into that sport.

this is the only mod ive doen that i cant undo.. well i can if i buy a new hood.. and the vinyl will be taking a different turn here shortly...

thank you for your input.. i do value even the thoughts that dont like it.

here is the other car i mentioned:
1809469164_e7550de8ea.jpg

2436889799_2e852d8c88.jpg

1808622517_e4c0b1c964.jpg

Last edited:

everythintek

Established Member
to better extract the heat.. i really wish i had a infared video to show the difference. much like the few on here have done... this mod is for function not something i would do to a garage queen (not saying anyone who has posted is).

TwinTurbo4vGT

Slowest GT alive :)
Established Member
to better extract the heat.. i really wish i had a infared video to show the difference. much like the few on here have done... this mod is for function not something i would do to a garage queen (not saying anyone who has posted is).

i think you could have done a better job than you did to that hood. It looks half assed and poorly done. If you did it right it wouldnt look so bad.

everythintek

Established Member
your absolutely right. i still need to take the dremel and smooth the edges. i also was a half inch off the driver side so i cut it with the mesh in place. it doesnt have three coats of touch up paint like the passenger side. im not done with it, but thats not an excuse for rushing my job.

Last edited:

SCT2003

2012 3.7 & 1986 NOTCH
Established Member
I did mine about a year ago after seeing Racebronco's custom hood at a local car meet....he inspired me.

Vents in General:

http://www.svtperformance.com/forums/terminator-talk-229/578881-hood-vents-heat-5.html

My Custom Vents:

http://www.svtperformance.com/forum...roduct-custom-road-race-style-hood-vents.html

Some advice for you is that "round" corners are much stronger than sharp "90 degree" corners...especially considering the hood is made out of fiberglass. The last thing you want would be cracks to start forming at the corners. Not sure if you have enough "meat" left to round things off but make sure you file, sand and paint the edges to keep cracks from forming. My experience with fiberglass is that the smallest cracks will lead to bigger cracks especially when the hood is closed time and time again.

It looks like your two holes are different sizes??? I made a template out of card board for one side and "flipped" it over so it could work for the other side. This way both holes were the same "uniform" size. Did the same thing for the custom aluminum vents.

If you look at Catrell's Sonic Blue, you can see he used "rounded" corners and took the time to prep and paint the edges of the cut. In addition, he used a mesh screen which adds a cleaner look and offers a slight structural reinforcement. I used custom made thin aluminum vents with slots to clean things up, add structural integrity and hide any flaws or blemishes in the cut fiberglass. I also added scoops below the vents to help direct air out of the engine compartment and also allow water to drain in front of the heads instead of on top of the engine.

One thing to also consider is the ease for someone to reach down and **** with things like your oil cap when you're not around. Get the holes covered with a vent, mesh or something.

I agree that this mod really works...my Cobra runs about 10 degrees cooler over all. It's the best cooling mod I've made so far!!!

:beer:

Later...Dave

Last edited:

everythintek

Established Member
I did mine about a year ago after seeing Racebronco's custom hood at a local car meet....he inspired me.

http://www.svtperformance.com/forums/terminator-talk-229/578881-hood-vents-heat-5.html

Some advice for you is that "round" corners are much stronger than sharp

It looks like your two holes are different sizes???

One thing to also consider is the ease for someone to reach down and **** with things like your oil cap when you're not around. Get the holes covered with a vent, mesh or something.

i looked at both your car and racebronco's for this. thanks. I wish i could get plates like that, i might try to make some. if nothing else i can make a border and a scoop on the end.

No my holes arent two different sizes. they were at first even after i put the mesh in. thats why the drivers side hole lookes likes it isnt finished. it really is, i cut it a second time, but only has one coat of paint vice 3 like the rest.

SpectorV

Established Member
if function is more important than looks then go for it, but that looks really bad. The blue car looks much cleaner but still I dont like the look of it~ if you clean it up good it might look much better

everythintek

Established Member
its the first time ive ever messed with a dremel on a car. i will be cleaning it up. honestly i dont mind the little knicks knowing that i did the work myself.. but i am going to try and get louvers made to go in there.. well see.

Last edited:

Digital

Established Member
Once its cleaned up it'll be "ok".
I would like to see the stripes go THROUGH the vents, that would sync the front end a lot more and not have it so rag tag.

GA Terminator

Established Member
You will get a lot more heat dissapation with the hood mod. But the stripes and the front window decal need to go IMO.

Users who are viewing this thread