New MAF or MAFia Needed? - 2003 Cobra

SC Heaven

Red Whine
Established Member
Going to be putting the car on the rollers this spring for a proper tune and was hoping some folks more experienced in this area could offer some advice.

How the car will sit when it goes in for the tune:

* Catless H
* JLT Gen2 True Cold Air
* Accufab SBTB and plenum
* 2.81 upper, stock lower
* Stock blower, no port

As I'm sure most of you know, the tune is not cheap, so I don't want to waste my money paying for a tune if I am just going to peg the factory MAF. But I also don't want to spend the money on a MAFia or full MAF upgrade if it isn't needed.

Once the tune is done, the car will not be seeing any further engine work, so not worried about future proofing either if it isn't necessary.

Thanks in advance for any advice or insight. :coolman:

NOTE: Car is in Denver, in case the air density matters

Last edited:

MalcolmV8

Established Member
Every car is different but I'd say you're fine. I had a 2.76 upper with a ported blower and stock MAF was just fine. You're also at altitude so you'll have less air passing the sensor.

MalcolmV8

Established Member
BTW - surely if the MAF did peg and your tuner had to stop he doesn't bill you full charge and send you out the door? It's common practice at that point to say sorry part X (MAF, pumps etc.) are pegged and we can't go further. Please correct your car and bring back to finish tune correctly.

SC Heaven

Red Whine
Established Member
BTW - surely if the MAF did peg and your tuner had to stop he doesn't bill you full charge and send you out the door? It's common practice at that point to say sorry part X (MAF, pumps etc.) are pegged and we can't go further. Please correct your car and bring back to finish tune correctly.

I'm guessing it wouldn't be a full charge either. Figured it would be easier just to cover all my bases the first time around. Appreciate the reply, thank you. :thumbsup:

b_dike

Established Member
I have a very similar setup, and I didn't peg my maf either. When data logging I saw maf counts as high as 1006, which is still an acceptable range. But like Malcolm said, every car is a little different.

SC Heaven

Red Whine
Established Member
I have a very similar setup, and I didn't peg my maf either. When data logging I saw maf counts as high as 1006, which is still an acceptable range. But like Malcolm said, every car is a little different.

Awesome to hear. Thank you :thumbsup:

KLLR SNK

Established Member
If your tuner isn't certain, can you borrow a MAFia from a friend to take with you to your dyno session? Throw it on if you need it and get the tune squared away while you are there.

SC Heaven

Red Whine
Established Member
If your tuner isn't certain, can you borrow a MAFia from a friend to take with you to your dyno session? Throw it on if you need it and get the tune squared away while you are there.

Sadly I am the only one in my circle of friends that isn't on the GM side of things, so no MAFia to borrow. Haven't actually discussed it with the tuner yet. But he doesn't do Ford's exclusively, so I figured I would get better information on here anyways. :-D

Users who are viewing this thread