New member introduction and some questions

Kire

Established Member
Hello all,

I purchased a new (to me) 2002 True Blue Lightning with 44k miles over the weekend. It was previously owned by a gentleman named Frank Crawford from Terre Haute, IN. He sent it to JDM to have quite a bit of work done awhile ago. The truck is claimed to make 646 rwhp and 710 lbft on premium gas. There is a switch under the dash which changes the tune (more ignition advance and boost) if you put in race fuel as well as a separate pulley and belt when you make this change. This apparently is good for about another 100 hp. This is my second Lighting (the first was a 2000 that was somewhat modified) and it is a beautiful truck. If any of you happened to know the previous owner or have any experience with the truck feel free to PM me with any info.

Unfortunately the previous owner passed away last year and the truck went to his brother. It was then traded in at a Porshe dealer (I believe) and eventually ended up at a lot in Fisher, IN where I purchased it. The dealer was called Fritz in Fishers and they were very pleasant to deal with. I would definitely recommend them.

Since I was not able to speak with the previous owner and don't know what the recent maintenance schedule was like I thought I should go through most of the common things. From reading the forums, and common sense, it looks like the following should be replaced:

Oil (5W20)
Spark plugs - I see NGK TR6 are recommended in normal vehicles but I thought I should see what is in the truck now before buying new plugs.
Fuel filter - also, thought I should see what is in there now in case it is upgraded.

Are there any other recommended services to perform?
Is synthetic oil commonly used in highly modded Lightnings?
Any other suggestions would be welcome and sorry for the long-winded initial post.

-Erik

RMoore92

Established Member
For the Oil, I would call JDM. Sounds like a forged built motor from them, I'm not sure they recommend but the common used are full synthetic 5W-20 and 5W-30.

For the plugs, I would ask JDM again. Most ppl run the regular TR6 but my tuner said I needed the bkr7e which is a colder plug.

Kire

Established Member
Thanks for the quick response, RMoore92.
I will indeed contact JDM. I figured I should do that anyway to see if they might still have the work records on file to verify all the modifications that were done.

Kire

Established Member
I contacted JDM via email and they replied almost immediately. They recommended Motorcraft 5W20 and NGK TR6 plugs which is what I saw on the forums here as well. They also offered to fax over the receipts for the work they did on my truck for the previous owner. Definitely excellent customer service from them.

Kire

Established Member
Haven't had a chance to snap some nice shots yet, weather wouldn't cooperate. I did take one when we got home from picking it up:

Picture004.gif

Users who are viewing this thread