new member with a question

cottondoc

Established Member
Hey everybody, thanks for letting my join your forum. I am sure I will learn a lot here and hoperfully help someone here too. I have a question. I just purchased a 2003 Terminator with approx 9K miles that is totally stock down to the airfilter. So far I have done nothing to the car but change the oil. When I bought it, the car had been cranked when I got there. I cranked it a few times myself and didn't notice any smoke. I hauled the car for approx 7 hours back to my house. Upon cranking it the car had a good bit of blue smoke come out of the exhaust. It now does this everytime I crank the car after it sits overnight. If warm, it doesn't smoke it all. I have changed the oil with 5W30 Royal purple and it still smokes. The car runs perfectly and has good oil pressure. Anybody have any ideas about the smoking? Thanks for your time and any info you can give me.

Wicked46

Under Pressure
Established Member
No, your car is fine.. this is common among a lot of 03-04 Cobra guys including myself. The PCV valve leaks oil in one cylinder and puffs smoke out when you start your car. You just need an oil separator in between your pcv (between both valve covers) and it will go away. No need to worry.

cottondoc

Established Member
thanks for the info

Thanks very much for the info. I first thought about the valve guides leaking, but I didn't think that would happen on such a low mileage car. I figured it was some type of PCV problem or something. Yeah, I have been looking for a low mile terminator for some time, but this one appears to be like a new car. I will search oil separator and go from there. Thanks again very much for the info and for helping a newbie on the forum.

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
Sounds like you've got your problem nailed. Welcome to the forum. What color is your Terminator? Are you going to keep it stock, or near stock? Just curious.

cottondoc

Established Member
the car is yellow

The car is a 2003 in yellow. I will post some pics soon but don't have any on my computer just yet. I plan on modifying the car, but not sure how much. I think I want to at least do an X pipe and cat back exhaust, a smaller pulley, CAI kit and tuner. I might change the diff ratio to 4:10s, but not sure about anything beyond that. I also have a 1993 5.0, T5 coupe car with some basic mods. I am a Ford guy at heart, but I tried the dark side for a while with a 2002 SS Camaro. I modded the SS pretty heavily. It had a 402ci that put approx 500hp/500lbft to the rear wheels all motor. It was built by Vengeance Racing in Cumming, GA. I basically modded it too much and it became too radical to drive on the street. So I sold it and came back to my roots by purchasing this 2003 Cobra. I am looking forward to getting the cobra to a similar power output as the SS in a much more streetable state. Thanks again for all the info and help. I look forward to learning a lot from this forum.

kezell

MW3-kezell17
Established Member
Welcome to the forums. I am sure you will enjoy the car. Lots of info here to learn, share, etc...

03cobra#694

Good Guy
Super Moderator
The car is a 2003 in yellow. I will post some pics soon but don't have any on my computer just yet. I plan on modifying the car, but not sure how much. I think I want to at least do an X pipe and cat back exhaust, a smaller pulley, CAI kit and tuner. I might change the diff ratio to 4:10s, but not sure about anything beyond that. I also have a 1993 5.0, T5 coupe car with some basic mods. I am a Ford guy at heart, but I tried the dark side for a while with a 2002 SS Camaro. I modded the SS pretty heavily. It had a 402ci that put approx 500hp/500lbft to the rear wheels all motor. It was built by Vengeance Racing in Cumming, GA. I basically modded it too much and it became too radical to drive on the street. So I sold it and came back to my roots by purchasing this 2003 Cobra. I am looking forward to getting the cobra to a similar power output as the SS in a much more streetable state. Thanks again for all the info and help. I look forward to learning a lot from this forum.
Skip the gears, and welcome to the site.

crazycarlo

Established Member
welcome to the site man. Enjoy your car. I live down in Savannah GA but my best friend lives in North Augusta so Im up there a pretty good bit crusing around washing rd, and downtown. Maybe next time Im up there ill shoot ya a message and we can meet up.

timspony

TVS Powered
Established Member
Welcome to SVTP!!!! ...and congrats on the Cobra! ...Keep the 3.55's & get a 2.76" pulley, CAI, exhaust, tune...and go have FUN! :D

cottondoc

Established Member
Thanks for the warm welcome everybody. Def shoot me an message, Crazycarlo when you come this way. Always good to meet new mustang people. Thanks again everybody.

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
Best of luck with the mods. That's a great starting place. Those mods will get you to around 450rwhp depending on the size of your pulley. Your Cobra will feel like an entirely different car. I still remember the day when I added a 2.90 upper, idlers and tune to my '03 Cobra. Power jumped from 388rwhp to 457rwhp. Torque jumped to 480rwtq. I was so thrilled with the way the car felt that I didn't want to park it. LOL! Enjoy your Cobra!

Brutal Metal

Established Member
This smoke you describe is common upon startup, no worries.. Don't change the gears!
Welcome You've joined the Forum with the Smartest SVT guys ANYWHERE your in goods hands!

Last edited:

cottondoc

Established Member
Thanks again everybody. I have joined several different car forums in the past and this is the warmest welcome and most valuable info I have ever received as a newbie on a forum. I am very excited about the new car and can't wait to get started on the mods I mentioned. It might be a little while though as purchasing the car drained my toy fund and the wife has put a hold on my spending for a little while. Anyway, I will definitely keep everybody updated on my progress. Thanks again for all the help and info.:)

Users who are viewing this thread