New MGW shifter owners... Need your reviews

Blk03SVTCobra

Established Member
I am about 99% sure I'm going to get the new MGW shifter for the Cobra, but I haven't heard many reviews on them yet. Maybe I missed them :shrug:

Either way, I would love to hear from those of you who do have the new MGW shifter. I would like to know what you think of it, whether or not you're pleased with it, how the shifting is and whether or not you'd purchase it again....

Thanks in advance :thumbsup:

Blk03SVTCobra

Established Member
Originally posted by dgussin1
get the MGW and don't look back. Trust me...

Planning on it... But I'd really like to hear some reviews of the darn thing... Maybe people are out driving around too much because they're so happy with the shifting :shrug:

If anyone wants to give ANY input on the MGW shifter, I'd greatly appreciate it. :thumbsup:

anvrsy red vert

Established Member
Originally posted by 03'Darin
What he said. It's some of the best money I spent on my car.

I used the blue handle. Clean, precise, and much shorter shifts than stock. Just as quiet as the stock shifter too!! The handle is a little shorter than stock but it still feels pretty comfortable; Best shifter in the market right now IMO. You won't be disappointed. Call George with your order. Check out this link http://www.fordpower.net/forums/showthread.php?t=105237&page=1&pp=15 :beer:

03gobluecobra

torque steer sucks
Established Member
I bought a steeda, and threw it out. I hated that thing. This MGW shifter is head and shoulders above the rest.

FireRed04Vert

Established Member
Hey guys...I have a question...does George's new shifter help the 1-2 shift at all? The 1-2 shift on my car (and another I drove) is a little "notchy" and "clunky". It just isn't clean. I know of other T56 guys who have complained of the same thing so I'm sure it's an issue with the trans and no shifter in the world will fix it...but...just in case, I thought I'd ask!

Old Stang

Established Member
MGW Shifter

I purchased the shifter with both handles. The instructions were good for the installation and the spanner wrench and allen wrenches were included in the package. I tried both handles and found them very easy to change and stayed in position once locked down.

I found my preference to be the longer red handle. It allows more leverage than the blue and allowed me to locate the shifter closer to me thus reducing the reach to 5th. The shifter is advertised as a short throw. I measured the factory shifter throw from 1st to 2nd from a fixed reference point on the dash. The actual length was 3.875" between gears. With the red handle, the throw length was reduced to 3.125". The blue handle was the shortest throw at 2.875". The advertising is true and you can feel the difference as soon as you try it. Has anybody measured the throw lengths on their aftermarket shifters for comparison to the MGW?

There is no more noise with the MGW unit than the factory shifter and it may be even quieter than the factory unit.

The gates are very precise and the shift from 2nd to 3rd is easy to make. The shift from 4th to 5th seems to be much easier than with the factory shifter. When the shifter is in gear, there is no play in the shifter from right to left. I test drove an 05 over the weekend and the shifter play in gear was significant compared to the MGW unit. As far as the question on notchiness between 1st and 2nd, you can feel it more with the shorter blue handle than the red, so I think it's more a characteristic of the transmission but the shifter can help reduce the feel you're asking about.

I would buy the MGW again without question. I think George has thought through the engineering of the shifter and has come up with some unique ideas that make the MGW shifter a step above the competition.

67scstang

SVT
Established Member
Just like everyone has said. Smooth, quite, very high quality. The shifts are short and they glide right into their position. I personally like the red handle, although the blue is a little shorter. 1-2 is a little "notchy", but I think that is the transmission. I would not buy any other, except MGW.

Dgreen911

Established Member
Great shifter, just installed mine saturday and like the way you can feel the shifts verses the vagueness of the stock one. I highly recommend it

dgussin1

If I offend you, IDGAF
Established Member
sjw985 said:
OK.. it's been a couple more weeks. Have any problems cropped up or are all the reviews still A+?
my bro picked one up for my car for me and I can tell you that it is absolutely the best shifter I have ever used. The way my car sits (near stock) I am chirping 2nd, 3rd, and 4th gear with this shifter. It is accurate, quiet and short. I am an extremely happy camper. It is heads and tails above the old style pro 5.0 and steeda tri ax.

I have used both the handles and can say with certainity that I prefer the slightly longer red handle. I hardly noticed any travel distance differences between the two and I don't think I shifted any faster. I was having to reach for 3rd and 5th with the blue. Red handle for me, perfect length and size.

:pepper: :beer: :pop:

sjw985

Established Member
I think everyone knows just how rare it is for there to be only positive reviews for a product on this board... in fact, I'd venture that this is an historic first. Methinks I need to get myself one of these magical shifters, pronto. :bowdown: MGW!

SublimeRT

'94 Slooowbraa
Established Member
I've had mine in for a few weeks. The instructions were great, Cobra Bob's gaskets come with it which are very convenient, the throws are nice and short and tight. I got the blue handle on mine.....I'm about 5'9" and it's fine for me. I was worried I'd need the red one since I'm a little shorter. I had a Hurst in my old Mach 1 (diff. trannies I know, but for comparison sake) and I've driven a friends '04 Cobra with the Hurst and the MGW blows it outta the water. Plus it looks really good and is more of a unique part. Instead of giving the normal "Tri-ax" or "Pro 5.0" answer when someone asks what shifter you have. I like having parts that not many others have. The only problem I've had with mine is if I pushed the shifter over to the left like if I was going to go into first or second and let go of the shifter it'd kinda stick there for a second, then pop back to the middle. This has since gone away though and no more problems. :pepper:

Oh and you can only buy MGW parts directly from MGW, but that's ok cause George is a pleasure to do business with. www.MGWLtd.com

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread