New Notebook/Computer

quad

Established Member
I just made my purchase. I got the new MacBook Air 128gb, first day out. I could not see my self spending another $200 bucks on another 128gb when a 1 tb external drive can be had for about $50. I got $50 discount now just have to get word, so I can seamlessly transfer files. Hopefully.
I find as far as Windows goes a 128 GB SSD for the OS drive is useless. After a year or so you start running out of space constantly. Depends how much work you do with it though. If it is just for web browsing etc. maybe it will be ok for a while. I have an older Imac that I bought second hand for $800 and I ended up putting the OS on a 256 GB external SSD. It gave it a new life and really improved performance. Have not used the IMac in a while though. Nice computer, I was impressed with the user interface, sound quality etc.

My I9 with Windows 10 is rock solid and performs great with a 1 TB SSD.

Good luck with the Macbook!

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
Congrats on buying your MacBook Pro Air (2018).

128gb SSD drive is on the small side, but you apparently intend to use an external drive with it. Just be aware that if the external drive does not have it's own power supply that it will reduce your battery life (between charges) by up to 50%. I learned that first hand. For two months I complained to Apple that my new MacBook Pro 13" was only getting 4.5 hrs. of battery life, with the screen brightness set at 50%. I discovered on my own that my external drive was the culprit as it doesn't have its own power supply. I removed the external drive and my battery life shot up to 8-8.5 hrs! So I no longer attach my external backup drive (using Time Machine) daily. I only attach it a couple of times a month when charging the battery. Works for me. I also have a 512gb SSD drive in my MacBook Pro, so an external drive isn't necessary for daily usage. With a lot of photos and some videos, I presently have 372gb available. If I had a 128gb drive I'd be screwed. So be sure if you do use an external hard drive that it has its own power supply.

How do you like the Retina screen? Very crisp text is great for daily use. Your eyes will love it. ;)

Users who are viewing this thread