New Roush RS3

Zevox

Established Member
Picked up a 2014 auto RS3, got rid of my track pack car for it, and am curious about any need to do mods. I plan to keep the stock... everything for a while. Don't want to lose warranty on this expensive of a car, haha.

My main things I wanted to know about are catch cans and a boost gauge. My last car had a catch can on it and it definitely caught stuff and I've always heard boosted cars need one on both sides. On the base 575 roush tune are they still a good thing to have? What's the best brand, I had JLT brand catch can and it caught plenty of stuff. When I pulled my stock manifold off after around 8k miles it had NO traces of oil in it. The boss manifold I pulled after around 5k miles also had no oil when I put my stock manifold back on so I know the catch can had to be helping. Is their a need, aside from looking cool having it, to have a boost gauge on the stock tune?

I know NOTHING about boosted cars since this is my first so any, and I mean ANY, other advice will be welcome. :shrug:

RS3 first.jpg

Last edited:

Nuar

Established Member
First advice. The pedal on the right, it goes straight to the floor and the sweaty palms is a normal reaction :)

Congratulations. Sweet friggin car man!

blackbeast12

Dr. Frankenstang
Established Member
That car has everything you need, yeah a jlt would improve it a alittle but a dyno tune will yield you the best results, the only problem is the tune will void your warranty. Forget the boost gauge chances are you wont look at it at the time you need to =wot. Get an afr gauge its more useful over the life of your car! You don't need catch cans on that set up but you can install them. I think you have the right idea though, keep it stock that car is plenty fast!

Zevox

Established Member
My last car taught me about doing mods... The more I did the more I disliked driving my car. All the suspension made it noisy to drive, longtubes made it louder all the time, spinning the boss manifold all the way to 7500 just felt bad for the car...

Here's hoping I stay vigilant in keeping this one stock. I thought it wasn't all that low but sometimes when I look at the car it looks just about right. Ride isn't horrible and most importantly it's not loud. Being an automatic it doesn't feel like it's going all that fast but when it downshifts and catches 10mph instantly it's got to be moving, lol.

Nuar

Established Member
Its a damn mustang man. Loud is part of the game :)
Though the suspension being loud would annoy me too...
I have a full BMR suspension ready to go in and I am very hesitant to throw that on... I need the UCA on there, but that's the part I am dreading the most...

Zevox

Established Member
Its a damn mustang man. Loud is part of the game :)
Though the suspension being loud would annoy me too...
I have a full BMR suspension ready to go in and I am very hesitant to throw that on... I need the UCA on there, but that's the part I am dreading the most...

Maybe my pinion angle was never quite right but the UCA really made my gear whine heard. The resonance was so so horrible. It was mostly gone when I put my stock UCA and LCA's on before I traded my car in, left it lowered. On the way to Daytona it still howled pretty bad... I really think either something was messed up in my rear end or those 3.73's and Torsen just scream regardless.

mitchster

Established Member
I just bought a Roush supercharger and I plan on putting on a catch can and boost gauge. I ordered the Roush gauge pod, but it is on back order. I like the way it looks and it is out of the way, looks OEM. Mitch

mhyjek

Established Member
I just bought a Roush supercharger and I plan on putting on a catch can and boost gauge. I ordered the Roush gauge pod, but it is on back order. I like the way it looks and it is out of the way, looks OEM. Mitch
Roush pod looks nice but as other threads and blackbeast said try reading it when WOT it can be done but its like texting and driving not a good idea...

Angry50

Established Member
I hear that Bob's auto catch can is supposed to be super good. looks cool too. if its an M6 id advise blowfish bracket :). you can do drive shaft as well shouldn't affect warranty and is all around good part. love the car too looks beast

MNCobra

Established Member
i had a 2013 RS3 and trust me a catch can will catch oil...Passenger side only needed...Tune will wake it up along with a CJ TB...i traded my RS3 for the Shelby but i still love the Roush cars....

Zevox

Established Member
i had a 2013 RS3 and trust me a catch can will catch oil...Passenger side only needed...Tune will wake it up along with a CJ TB...i traded my RS3 for the Shelby but i still love the Roush cars....

What brand catch can did you use? Just curious of other options to JLT since people say they aren't that great.

Thanks for the compliments everyone.

Quad4_72

Established Member
What brand catch can did you use? Just curious of other options to JLT since people say they aren't that great.

I use a Moroso Catch can and it definitely get's the job done. Looks awesome under the hood tooSupercharger under hood.JPG. Obviously not a Roush blower but I think you get the idea.

_Snake_

Established Member

Nice whip! For catch cans, check out Bob's or Peterson's (the Peterson is what's used on the Boss 302S and complete kits are available at watsonracing dot com - they advertise it as a Watson catch can/breather kit for $295).

Users who are viewing this thread