New Seats

Taz

Established Member
Finally! Decent seats and harnesses for open track and open road driving. The seats are Recaro Style Toplines covered with beige leather, and the harnesses are Schroth Rallye-3 ASM. For casual cruising around town, I kept the OEM belts, as well.

The back seat is currently at a local shop being recovered to match the Recaros.

236158.jpg

20psirabbit

Established Member
idk if the 99-01 cobra seats sit as high as the 03-04, but did they drop at all? i'm looking to put some seats in my car, but the main reason is to get the seats down lower as they just sit way too high for my taste :(

Taz

Established Member
idk if the 99-01 cobra seats sit as high as the 03-04, but did they drop at all? i'm looking to put some seats in my car, but the main reason is to get the seats down lower as they just sit way too high for my taste :(

There's quite a bit of adjustment range in these seats. Mine will adjust both higher and lower than the stockers. Of course, their high and low limits will also depend to a large degree on the bases and sliders that you install with them.

I used Wedge Engineering bases and these sliders (without height adjustment, since that's built into the seats):

http://www.speedwaremotorsports.com/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWPROD&ProdID=7344

Hope this helps.

sunburned

I miss my torque
Established Member
Wow, I don't even want to know how much you spent on those. Awesome looking seats but major moolah. Mind taking pics of how you have the harnesses mounted in the rear? If I can see correctly, those are 2" harnesses and only 4 point, so they won't be legal for any open track. They are pretty much 'street harnesses'. You need 3" and at least 5/6 points, plus a roll bar since you have a vert.

Last edited:

Taz

Established Member
Wow, I don't even want to know how much you spent on those. Awesome looking seats but major moolah. Mind taking pics of how you have the harnesses mounted in the rear? If I can see correctly, those are 2" harnesses and only 4 point, so they won't be legal for any open track. They are pretty much 'street harnesses'. You need 3" and at least 5/6 points, plus a roll bar since you have a vert.

The tail straps use the same anchor points as the OEM belts.

You are wrong about the track suitability of these harnesses. Under Pro Autosports regs (what I run), among others, the Schroth Rallye-3 harnesses are approved for road course duty in all street car classes. Furthermore, unlike most racing harnesses, they are approved by the DOT for use on public roads, as they meet NHTSA FMVSS 209 specs. BTW, they're 3-point harnesses, not 4.

Also, I don't need no SINKING roll bar to run street in Pro Autosports. I run this car on the road course all the time without one.

236888.jpg

But thanks for playing.

Last edited:

Canuck03SVT

Established Member
The tail straps use the same anchor points as the OEM belts.

You are wrong about the track suitability of these harnesses. Under Pro Autosports regs (what I run), among others, the Schroth Rallye-3 harnesses are approved for road course duty in all street car classes. Furthermore, unlike most racing harnesses, they are approved by the DOT for use on public roads, as they meet NHTSA FMVSS 209 specs. BTW, they're 3-point harnesses, not 4.

Also, I don't need no SINKING roll bar to run street in Pro Autosports. I run this car on the road course all the time without one.

236888.jpg

But thanks for playing.

Wow owned!!!

sunburned

I miss my torque
Established Member
Sorry, I've never heard of any road courses or drag strips, at least in my area, that will let you run a vert without at least a 4 point bar. Apparently you've found one so Kudos to you. I guess just don't come to VIR or Summit Point and try to race, or MIR with the top down. In your pics, I see some sort of autocross track at a drag strip, not an actual road course. I've raced autocrosses in my car as well with the top down and stock belts, so if that is what you are talking about, I understand.

Also, what do you mean "the same anchor points as the OEM belts? The rear belt looks like it is mounted behind the rear seat somewhere? So does that 3 point have a racheting system like the stock belts to let you move until it senses a quick movement, then it locks up? Or has a locking mechanism to make it act like a true harness? And by four point, I meant 4 belts.

Taz

Established Member
sunburned said:
Sorry, I've never heard of any road courses or drag strips, at least in my area, that will let you run a vert without at least a 4 point bar. Apparently you've found one so Kudos to you. I guess just don't come to VIR or Summit Point and try to race, or MIR with the top down.

You should have just let it go, kid, because you obviously haven’t been around much. Equipment requirements are all about the sanctioning body under which you're running, NOT the track where the event is held. Pro Autosports events are offered at a number of tracks across multiple states besides the little, out of the way spot called Firebird International Raceway where I usually run.

http://www.firebirdraceway.com/

In your pics, I see some sort of autocross track at a drag strip, not an actual road course. I've raced autocrosses in my car as well with the top down and stock belts, so if that is what you are talking about, I understand.

Does THIS look like an Auto-X course to you???

http://www.firebirdraceway.com/web/firebirdtrack.html

Firebird International actually has 3 (three) separate road courses, but I personally like the Firebird course, which is the longest of the 3. We run the full 1.6 mile course, with the looper.

Also, what do you mean "the same anchor points as the OEM belts? The rear belt looks like it is mounted behind the rear seat somewhere?

I mean exactly what I said. The SAME anchor points as the OEM belts. EXACTLY the same anchor points. Is that clear enough?

So does that 3 point have a racheting system like the stock belts to let you move until it senses a quick movement, then it locks up? Or has a locking mechanism to make it act like a true harness?

I’ve got an idea. Instead of dinking up my thread with STOOOPID questions, why don’t you Google the damned harnesses?

And by four point, I meant 4 belts.
You’ve got your terminology wrong. Four point harness have 4 ANCHOR POINTS. Five point harness have 5 anchor points, etc.

Now, go away and get over the hubris of youth before you come back.
:loser:

SUPERSEXY32V

people know me
Established Member
You should have just let it go, kid, because you obviously haven’t been around much. Equipment requirements are all about the sanctioning body under which you're running, NOT the track where the event is held. Pro Autosports events are offered at a number of tracks across multiple states besides the little, out of the way spot called Firebird International Raceway where I usually run.

http://www.firebirdraceway.com/

Does THIS look like an Auto-X course to you???

http://www.firebirdraceway.com/web/firebirdtrack.html

Firebird International actually has 3 (three) separate road courses, but I personally like the Firebird course, which is the longest of the 3. We run the full 1.6 mile course, with the looper.

I mean exactly what I said. The SAME anchor points as the OEM belts. EXACTLY the same anchor points. Is that clear enough?

I’ve got an idea. Instead of dinking up my thread with STOOOPID questions, why don’t you Google the damned harnesses?

You’ve got your terminology wrong. Four point harness have 4 ANCHOR POINTS. Five point harness have 5 anchor points, etc.

Now, go away and get over the hubris of youth before you come back.
:loser:

WOW. :poke:

Senkak

SVT Poster
Established Member
The seats look great!
Isn't it kind of silly to do any track event in a vert without a roll bar of some kind?

-

Taz

Established Member
The seats look great!
Isn't it kind of silly to do any track event in a vert without a roll bar of some kind?

No sillier than running track events on a bike.

It's a ragtop, R-A-G-T-O-P, i.e. a roadster. If I had wanted a bunch of steel over my head, I'd have bought a coupe.

Users who are viewing this thread