New Seats

Taz

Established Member
Nice seats Taz! I wish you would have PM'ed us first as we could have saved you some $$$ vs the prices your posted.

One thing that does interest me is that we use Wedge brackets as well and they are definitely powdercoated. Did you but the brackets from Speedware of from Wedge directly? No need to get in an argument about them but unless we need brackets REALLY quick they should have been powdercoated.

I ordered the bases and adapters directly from Wedge in Long Beach, CA.

However, because I was unaware of the lead time for the Recaros, I had Wedge expedite my order. That could be why mine came with spray can paint jobs.

Good to hear that Wedge normally powdercoats their stuff, because the finish was my only complaint. Very high quality fabrication and assembly.

Taz

Established Member
Back seat completed

My shop has just finished recovering the back seat with Recaro leather to match the fronts. I had them match the style of the Recaros with the stitching, rather than follow the OEM style.

Back seat:

241413.jpg

The completed project:

241412.jpg

:-D

RoyWoods

Established Member

Taz

Established Member
OR: http://www.zainostore.com/. :banana::pepper::banana:

BTW, TAZ you do realize that my daughter will be having to wait tables in order to go to college seeing as how you keep finding cool modifications for my car that require the reallocation of her college education fund, don't you??????? :lol1: :lol1: :lol1: :lol1:

Oh, well. Education isn't all it's cracked up to be, anyway. It fosters discontent. LOL

03 DSG Snake

Unknown Cyborg
Established Member
Taz,

Those look awesome! I'm guessing the Passenger seat is Topline as well, with the power and vent stuff?

About how much do they weigh? And do they sit any lower than the stockers?

Thanks!

Taz

Established Member
Taz,

Those look awesome! I'm guessing the Passenger seat is Topline as well, with the power and vent stuff?

About how much do they weigh? And do they sit any lower than the stockers?

Thanks!

Thanks. Yes, they're both Toplines. Luckily, there were two independent power feeds to the OEM driver seat harness, a 30A circuit for the seat motors, plus a separate 15A circuit for the lumbar air pump. Since the Recaros require only 15A each, I ran the 15A circuit over to the passenger side. Then, I reduced the fuse size in the 30A circuit to 15A and ran that one to the driver seat.

The weight is the only down side to the Recaros. They add 23 lbs to the car, compared to the OEM seats. I weighed them all (with sliders and bases), and the breakdown was as follows:

OEM driver seat w/ base & sliders: 60 lbs
OEM pass. seat w/ base & sliders: 43 lbs
Total = 103 lbs

Recaro driver (or pass.) seat w/ base & sliders: 63 lbs x 2 = 126 lbs

Of course those OEM weights are for New Edge seats. I imagine the Terminator seats weigh a little more than the NE seats, as they have more gizmos - at least the left one does - so the weight gain may be less for a Terminator.

As for seat height, the Recaros, if they are installed exactly as I have installed mine, i.e. on the Wedge bases and adapters and the Recaro flat sliders, can be adjusted through a much wider height range than the OEM driver seat could be. (As you know, the OEM passenger seat is not height adjustable.) The Recaro driver seat can be adjusted either lower or higher than the OEM could, and the passenger seat has the same range of motion.

Users who are viewing this thread