New Shelby Info

terminator02

Established Member
i haven't read much of the entire post, but this is absoluetely ridiculous. I had one of the first 03 cobras off the line in mid-june of 2002. I got Xplan pricing on an MSRP of 34,750 bucks. People who paid over sticker are suckers and people who thoguht they needed to wait a year or two did not do their due dilligence. (unless they wanted 0 percent interest and below msrp)

So lets get to this gt500. SUpposedly its gonna be 40-48k before markup? BS. Plain and simple. Shelby recently said in a magazine its gonna be "an honest 500hp and cost under 40k"

If its 48k before markup you are looking at Z06 territory of 65,8. There was a markup ON SOME of those cars, and even that is coming down now. Lets get real the new Z could more easily get away with a markup as well. 505hp that is NA, dry sump, carbon fiber panels, exotic car performance in the straight line and around the track.

People think they will pay over sticker for this car for a FEW reasons. They are rich casual buyers that don't realize the concept car has turned to shit. THey don't realize this car weighs as much as a dodge RAM srt ;) Seriously..its just not gonna happen. The 03 car could barely get away with markups after a month...and that car had legitimate POSITIVE buzz going around. This is a very mixed bag of Meh.....

terminator02

Established Member
Ry_Trapp0 said:
but the difference is that this is the new, redesigned mustang, and a shelby at that. the mainstream market doesnt care how much shelby had to do with this car, they care about the name. majority of the mainstream market will, more than likely, be the babyboomers who love the retro design and can connect with the shelby name. i bet you a good bit of these will be selling a very good premium over sticker. now im not gonna bet you anything but ill still bet you.

yeah until they read the magazine reviews. Till they realize the concept car was a completely different car. Vinyl stripes will make baby boomers vomit. They will vomit because they just paid the "supposed" 40-48k plus 10-20k markup on a car that will get Blown away in EVERY category by a cheaper z06! lmao at dealers trying to hype a car through the forums. Please please realize the average reader here does not care about the propaganda of "certified SVT salesmen."

Ry_Trapp0

Condom Model
Established Member
but does the majority of the market for this vehicle read magazines, keep updated on the info about it, or care about vinyl stripes? i think not. im not saying that your wrong, im right, there is probably a 50/50 for both of us. but you gotta think about the mainstream market too, not just us enthusists that read the magazines, keep updated on the info about it, and care about the vinyl stripes. i would love to see this car selling at MSRP but i just dont think its gonna happen.

Purvis

VMP TVS Power
Established Member
Run of the mill people will not notice things like vinyl stripes, until they go to buy the car..
Unfortunately, the Stripes are going to be the very first thing anyone looks at, when they see the car, so I think Vinyl stipes will effect sales.. Sounds stupid, but I really think it will..

Its ashame Forsd could not figure out a way to do cheap painted stripes.. It would have really made a difference..

Ive decided probably not to get one..
Im taking my newely aquired 2002 ZO6 with 6,000 miles to the track and hope to run 11's with it (bone stock).. That car should fill the void of "weekend toy" quite nicely..
Best of all, I only paid $30,000.

All this hype from the dealers, talking about mark-ups, has really turned my stomach..
So conratulations to the Ford dealerships! You just lost another sale for Ford..

crazyhorse06

Established Member
Purvis said:
Run of the mill people will not notice things like vinyl stripes, until they go to buy the car..
Unfortunately, the Stripes are going to be the very first thing anyone looks at, when they see the car, so I think Vinyl stipes will effect sales.. Sounds stupid, but I really think it will..

Its ashame Forsd could not figure out a way to do cheap painted stripes.. It would have really made a difference..

Im taking my newely aquired 2002 ZO6 with 6,000 miles to the track and hope to run 11's with it (bone stock).. That car should fill the void of "weekend toy" quite nicely..

All this hype from the dealers, talking about mark-ups, has really turned my stomach..
So conratulations to the Ford dealerships! You just lost another sale for Ford..
Congrats on the Z. It will fill that void very nicely. The only thing I don't understand is, you haven't even seen the final production car yet or tried to buy one without mark up. I hate to see a true Mustang man turn bow-tie over internet rumor and hype. I think I would have waited at least until the production car was revealed. Your custom title says "fighting against markup" Where was the fight?

Last edited:

1993cobramustan

P'O'd SVT POSTER
Established Member
Guys-give Ford A Break Until January Detroit Show

I Think Some Of Us Out Here Need To Take A Cold Shower....instead Of Getting Upset Over A Car That We Have No Final Details On, Why Don't You Just Wait Until The Detroit Show (JAN), And Then Give Some Constructive Criticism On The Car, If Warranted....a "SHELBY" Branded Vehicle Is Going To Have Much More Future Worth Than A Z06 That Will Be Produced Every Year For The Near Future, And A Good 25,000 Price Difference, To Boot......on A Strictly Performance Base, The Z06 Is Certainly A Better Performer Out Of The Box, Based On What We See So Far Of The Shelby, But It Also Is A 2-seater Composite-bodied Sports Car, And If That's What You Want, I Think It Is Ridiculous To Compare 2 Totally Different Products.....compare The Shelby To Any Other 2 Plus 2 For Your Evaluation, To Be More Precise, Such As The Nissan Z, Mazda, Or Similiar Cars, And The Shelby Will Blow Their Doors Off......if You Don't Give A Crap About The Worth Of The "SHELBY" Heritage And Nameplate On The Car, There Are A Lot Of Other Choices Of Good Cars, But For The Money You Can't Beat American Horsepower, And Performance For The Price, In Either The "Z06" Or "SHELBY"........buy One Of Each!!!!!!!

broeli

Established Member
.....compare The Shelby To Any Other 2 Plus 2 For Your Evaluation, To Be More Precise, Such As The Nissan Z, Mazda, Or Similiar Cars, And The Shelby Will Blow Their Doors Off...
Maybe in a straight line. Throw the Shelby on a roadcourse with cheaper 2+2 cars such as the Evo and Sti and see what happens. Ford is falling short in offering a car that is a good overall performer. A performance car that weighs nearly 2 tons?! Ford is wrong by making the Mustang more of a touring car.

Ken

broeli said:
Maybe in a straight line. Throw the Shelby on a roadcourse with cheaper 2+2 cars such as the Evo and Sti and see what happens. Ford is falling short in offering a car that is a good overall performer. A performance car that weighs nearly 2 tons?! Ford is wrong by making the Mustang more of a touring car.

Maybe true in the twisties the Shelby may fall short, but in a real-life the str8 line is what matters. When the the sti or evo pulls up at the light next to you in a Cobra, your gonna bust it's a$$ to the next light. Isn't like your going to race them across town to the local ice cream stand. :idea:

broeli

Established Member
PetuniaGT40 said:
Maybe true in the twisties the Shelby may fall short, but in a real-life the str8 line is what matters. When the the sti or evo pulls up at the light next to you in a Cobra, your gonna bust it's a$$ to the next light. Isn't like your going to race them across town to the local ice cream stand. :idea:
Better have on some drag radials :D Otherwise you'll probably get surprised by the awd 6000rpm launch while you're still sitting there spinnning :)
It's almost as much fun launching my Evo as it is my 92 LX 5.0 that runs 10's.
And straight line isn't all that matters. I was hoping the Shelby would be the overall package so I could have fun taking it to the road course and autox'ing it like I do the Evo. I think alot of others were/are hoping for the same thing. That is why you are hearing of people talking about buying a 'Vette.

crazyhorse06

Established Member
We haven't even seen the final suspension setup or read a head to head test on it. This car's handling may surprise you. They are winning races on the SRA setup against M3s in the Grand Am Cup.

chuckstang

Established Member
Purvis said:

I dont think you will see 11's with a STOCK C5 Z06 :bs:

chuckstang

Established Member
Purvis said:

I dont think you will see 11's with a STOCK C5 Z06 :bs:

1993cobramustan

P'O'd SVT POSTER
Established Member
broeli said:

IF YOU ARE HAPPY IN A RICE-BURNER, I WOULDN'T CONSIDER BUYING AN AMERICAN MUSCLE-CAR....MUSTANGS ARE NOT BOUGHT SOLELY ON ANY ONCE PERFORMANCE FACTOR, BUT BASICALLY FOR THE OVERALL ABOVE-AVERAGE PERFORMANCE, ROOMINESS, AND V-8 "RUMBLE" FACTORS.......YOU CAN TAKE A MUSTANG A DRIVE IT CROSS-COUNTRY, AND GET OUT OF THE CAR WITHOUT THE HELP OF A PARAMEDIC....TRY THAT WITH THE LIGHTER-SMALLER IMPORTS.......

ON D BIT

Finish First
Established Member
R1Lello said:
:lol: BS !!!

how is that bs? as said before many drivers have driven thier stock z06 down the quarter in 11 sec's. its not that big a deal. i have seen timeslips as low as 11.6, and video of 11.7 run.

also if the 03 cobra had a better engineered chasis and suspension there would be a few 03 cobras in the 11's stock as well. the cobra has the power, the chasis was not built or engineered for a performance car however.

ShelbyGuy

Steers With the Throttle
Established Member
Eating a steady diet of government cheese, and liv
never let reality get in the way of opinion....

an 03/04 will smoke an evo or sti on the road course. search the web for scca and midwestern council results. the new chassis is superior to the sn99 cars. the shelby will be more powerful. lap times even lower.

no self-respecting shelby owner is a drag nut anyway. shelby is all about road racing.

bring it!

AbusiveWombat

Established Member
1993cobramustan said:
IF YOU ARE HAPPY IN A RICE-BURNER, I WOULDN'T CONSIDER BUYING AN AMERICAN MUSCLE-CAR....MUSTANGS ARE NOT BOUGHT SOLELY ON ANY ONCE PERFORMANCE FACTOR, BUT BASICALLY FOR THE OVERALL ABOVE-AVERAGE PERFORMANCE, ROOMINESS, AND V-8 "RUMBLE" FACTORS.......YOU CAN TAKE A MUSTANG A DRIVE IT CROSS-COUNTRY, AND GET OUT OF THE CAR WITHOUT THE HELP OF A PARAMEDIC....TRY THAT WITH THE LIGHTER-SMALLER IMPORTS.......

Just to let you know, the EVO has more room in the front, in back, and in the trunk than the Mustang.

Last edited:

AbusiveWombat

Established Member
ShelbyGuy said:
never let reality get in the way of opinion....

an 03/04 will smoke an evo or sti on the road course. search the web for scca and midwestern council results. the new chassis is superior to the sn99 cars. the shelby will be more powerful. lap times even lower.

January 2004 Hot Rod reported this in their Cobra vs. STI...
.......................Cobra....................STI
1/4 mile.............13.30 @ 109........13.29 @ 100
Road Course......1:22.7.................1:21.0

Last edited:

broeli

Established Member
ShelbyGuy said:

bring it!

:lol: Do you do ANY road course racing? Doubtful with that comment. Where do you live? I'd LOVE to take you up on a challenge this spring if you have an 03/04.

Users who are viewing this thread