New Shelby Info

broeli

Established Member
IF YOU ARE HAPPY IN A RICE-BURNER, I WOULDN'T CONSIDER BUYING AN AMERICAN MUSCLE-CAR....MUSTANGS ARE NOT BOUGHT SOLELY ON ANY ONCE PERFORMANCE FACTOR, BUT BASICALLY FOR THE OVERALL ABOVE-AVERAGE PERFORMANCE, ROOMINESS, AND V-8 "RUMBLE" FACTORS.......YOU CAN TAKE A MUSTANG A DRIVE IT CROSS-COUNTRY, AND GET OUT OF THE CAR WITHOUT THE HELP OF A PARAMEDIC....TRY THAT WITH THE LIGHTER-SMALLER IMPORTS.......
:??:
Obviously I am a little more open minded when it comes to cars. With your caps lock comment and your name calling ("rice burner") it is abvious you aren't a true enthusiast for all great performing cars. I don't buy something just because it is made by a certain company. I guess you do. I love Mustangs and Cobras but it's not an "overall performer" right now.
BTW, What is so hard about driving across country in an awd 4 door 4 seater with a trunk? :-D
And if you haven't noticed I already own 2 Mustangs..have owned Mustangs for over 16 years.

AbusiveWombat said:
January 2004 Hot Rod reported this in their Cobra vs. STI...
.......................Cobra....................STI
1/4 mile.............13.30 @ 109........13.29 @ 100
Road Course......1:22.7.................1:21.0

Thank you.
And we all know that 1.7 seconds on a road course isn't even a close race. If anything Hot Rod would tend to side with american muscle if they could.

Last edited:

gmynko

I like injecting people
Established Member
AbusiveWombat said:
January 2004 Hot Rod reported this in their Cobra vs. STI...
.......................Cobra....................STI
1/4 mile.............13.30 @ 109........13.29 @ 100
Road Course......1:22.7.................1:21.0

That's a slow 1/4 for a stock cobra

1993cobramustan

P'O'd SVT POSTER
Established Member
Discussion Of Shelby Versus Evo,Sti, etc........

I Thought This Site Is For Mustang/Shelby Enthusiasts?????.... If You Guys Want To Extoll The Virtues Of Imports Over Domestic Products, Then I Would Make The Comments On The Import Forums, And That Would Be The Appropriate Place To Downgrade Or Give Your Opinion On The Mustang/Shelby Versus Evos, Sti's Etc......most Of The People On This Site Are Loyal To Ford, And Its Mustang Product Line, And Are Not Really Interested In Wasting Their Time Reading About The Better Performance Of Foreign Imports, Justified By The Numbers, Or Not....anotherwords, Most Of Us Would Rather Spend Our Time Praising Or In Some Cases, Condeming Mustangs....we Wouldn't Shed Mustangs For Burners, Just A Preference, Not That The Imports Aren't Good Or Even Great Products......does This Make Sense.......?????? I Guess I Am Bigotted, I Would Like To See Our Domestic Company's Improve Their Products, And More Importantly, Survive And Prosper....if We All Support Ford And GM, While Kicking Them In The Ass To Improve Their Design And Quality Control, It Will Be A Better World For Us And Our Children............I would like to see the 2 remaining Companys remain under American ownership, if possible......

AbusiveWombat

Established Member
1993cobramustan said:
I Thought This Site Is For Mustang/Shelby Enthusiasts?????.... If You Guys Want To Extoll The Virtues Of Imports Over Domestic Products, Then I Would Make The Comments On The Import Forums, And That Would Be The Appropriate Place To Downgrade Or Give Your Opinion On The Mustang/Shelby Versus Evos, Sti's Etc......most Of The People On This Site Are Loyal To Ford, And Its Mustang Product Line, And Are Not Really Interested In Wasting Their Time Reading About The Better Performance Of Foreign Imports, Justified By The Numbers, Or Not....anotherwords, Most Of Us Would Rather Spend Our Time Praising Or In Some Cases, Condeming Mustangs....we Wouldn't Shed Mustangs For Burners, Just A Preference, Not That The Imports Aren't Good Or Even Great Products......does This Make Sense.......?????? I Guess I Am Bigotted, I Would Like To See Our Domestic Company's Improve Their Products, And More Importantly, Survive And Prosper....if We All Support Ford And GM, While Kicking Them In The Ass To Improve Their Design And Quality Control, It Will Be A Better World For Us And Our Children............I would like to see the 2 remaining Companys remain under American ownership, if possible......

There's nothing wrong in correcting poor information. Some of us on this site are car enthusiasts capable of respecting the virtues of all cars, not just Mustangs. Please tell me, what was wrong with my reply to your post that the EVO has more room than the Mustang? Or that the STi beat the Cobra in the 1/4 and road course in Hot Rod's comparision? Does that take anything away from the Mustang? Competition is a good thing.

ON D BIT

Finish First
Established Member
AbusiveWombat said:
Or that the STi beat the Cobra in the 1/4 and road course in Hot Rod's comparision?

so your saying the sti/evo's are faster cars than the 03 cobra? while your at it you might want to call the 01 bullitt faster than the 01 cobra. after all it did beat it down the quarter during another magazine test as well. :bash:

broeli

Established Member
The Evo/Sti isn't "faster" in the 1/4...note the mph. Even if the time for the Cobra is low I think it shows that the Evo/Sti may, in real world driving, be quicker in a 1/4 mile or stop light race. Not everytime but more than likely a drivers race. Sti/Evos are much much easier to launch. Those that turn bad times with them are simply to afraid to do 6000 rpm launches. I have done 100+ 6000rpm launches on my Evo turning 1.6-1.7 60ft times with street tires. With my Mustangs, as you all know, it is a little different and trickier than that launching them on street tires or even cold drag radials :D

BTW, the 05 and 06 Evo is quicker than the 03/04 Evo's. It isn't uncommon to see them run 12.9 @104ish stock

Last edited:

broeli

Established Member
1993cobramustan said:
, I Would Like To See Our Domestic Company's Improve Their Products, And More Importantly, Survive And Prosper....if We All Support Ford And GM, While Kicking Them In The Ass To Improve Their Design And Quality Control, It Will Be A Better World For Us And Our Children.........
I would also love to see them prosper. Ford needs to make something we all want though which is an overall performer. How do you suggest we "support" them? How is buying something that isn't entirely what we want overall from them going to help them change? You want us to keep buying cars from them and then saying everytime.." you BETTER do it right NEXT time" ?
I'll buy elsewhere until they do it right. Chevy got it right with the C6 and it's paying off. Ford should do the same with the Shelby. We'll some if they do come next year I guess. I'm not writing them off just yet.

Last edited:

P49Y-CY

fomocomofo
Established Member
broeli said:
The Evo/Sti isn't "faster" in the 1/4...note the mph. Even if the time for the Cobra is low I think it shows that the Evo/Sti may, in real world driving, be quicker in a 1/4 mile or stop light race. Not everytime but more than likely a drivers race. Sti/Evos are much much easier to launch. Those that turn bad times with them are simply to afraid to do 6000 rpm launches. I have done 100+ 6000rpm launches on my Evo turning 1.6-1.7 60ft times with street tires. With my Mustangs, as you all know, it is a little different and trickier than that launching them on street tires or even cold drag radials :D

gotta agree with all of that

there's a difference between "quicker" and "faster". i always give much respect to the sti/evo's on the street :beer:

Teal93svt

Established Member
i used to work at a large ford dealership in ks, and when the 03 cobras came out they were going to let me buy one at A plan price so i think its all in the dealer.

Bobby

Jpjr

Established Member
umm... were talking about a mustang here. no one in thier right mind would pay over 50k for one. i honestly can't believe anyone is loyal enough to ford that they would pay 60k for a shelby just to get thier doors blown off by a $65k Z06.

this thread is just adding fuel to the fire. YES, the first 10 customers for the shelby may have a bunch of cash under thier bed and will pay whatever it takes to be the first one driving it. but there are very few of those people in this price range, because at 50-60k you can simply buy a better sports car.

3 months after its release people will be paying MSRP. mark my words.

Skywarp

Established Member
Jpjr said:
umm... were talking about a mustang here. no one in thier right mind would pay over 50k for one. i honestly can't believe anyone is loyal enough to ford that they would pay 60k for a shelby just to get thier doors blown off by a $65k Z06.

this thread is just adding fuel to the fire. YES, the first 10 customers for the shelby may have a bunch of cash under thier bed and will pay whatever it takes to be the first one driving it. but there are very few of those people in this price range, because at 50-60k you can simply buy a better sports car.

3 months after its release people will be paying MSRP. mark my words.
Not necessarily true. Its about what you want. I had the money for a Vette and still bought the Cobra. And that $65K for the ZO6 is probably off too. Go to Ebay and I see $75K and up as the norm. So $50K and up for a new GT 500 Shelby with 450-500hp is a bargain.

roushraven

zzzZZzz
Established Member
Skywarp said:
Not necessarily true. Its about what you want. I had the money for a Vette and still bought the Cobra. And that $65K for the ZO6 is probably off too. Go to Ebay and I see $75K and up as the norm. So $50K and up for a new GT 500 Shelby with 450-500hp is a bargain.

Don't believe everything on ebay or the internet for that matter. There are a large number of "must have it any cost" buyers out there who have paid and will pay a premium for the car however, there are still some large dealers that are selling the new Z06 at MSRP.

-RR

Jpjr

Established Member
lots of reports of people getting the Z06 at msrp. in fact, if you don't i would say you are getting ripped off.

the stock Z06 is a superior automobile in every aspect except for notstalgic purposes. if the Shelby starts approaching it in price, then the buyer is getting anything but a performance bargain.

Purvis

VMP TVS Power
Established Member
crazyhorse06 said:
Congrats on the Z. It will fill that void very nicely. The only thing I don't understand is, you haven't even seen the final production car yet or tried to buy one without mark up. I hate to see a true Mustang man turn bow-tie over internet rumor and hype. I think I would have waited at least until the production car was revealed. Your custom title says "fighting against markup" Where was the fight?

Thanks!... I know its no Ford, but the Z is great and Im really enjoying it..
ZO615.JPG

The Bull shit thats going around on the internet, is more than just rumour.,. Believe me.. My reserved spot for retail, was actually canceled by my dealer.. Then they wanted $10,000 over retail, after we had agreed on "Retail" several months earlier.... :dw: I went to 20 or so other dealers in person, and got the same BS.. Sometimes worse even..

I then realized that it would be quite some time before I was going to get one at a price I would feel good about paying (at or below retail).. Probably over a year after they were released, at least.. So, that would have left me waiting until 2008.. :sleeping:

Then I came across the beauty.. $29,000 grand, 6,000 miles.. Perfect car.. Its probably just as fast (if not faster) than the Shelby will be, and it will outhandle it easily...Which leaves me with the option to maybe do some roundy track racing with it..
They do run 11's stock, (most need DR's though).
see here for times:
http://forums.corvetteforum.com/showthread.php?t=1132866&forum_id=49
This is exactly what I wanted... I wanted a car that I had to do NOTHING to. I did not want a car that I had to swap pulleys, and exhaust, and then get a tune :nonono: .. I've been doing that routine all my life, and I needed a brake from it, and worrying about aftermarket parts.... I wanted something reasonably fast out of the box.. This fit the bill..

But you're right though, I completley caved in! LOL!
No more fighting for me.. at least for a little while.

I have alot of respect for the 03-04 Cobra's and I know many typical Bolton 03'/04' Cobras will beat me at the drags, even if I do run 11's with it..
But honestly,I dont really care. :p Like I said, I just wanted something fast, stock and fun...

I may still get a Shelby, but Im going to really have to like them ALOT, in person and when I drive one, to want to sell my 94 and and pony up for the cash.. Plus Im going to have to get a really good deal.. That wont be happening anytime soon..
Here are a few shots..excuse the crappy pics, I havent had a chance to get it out for a "photoshoot" yet.. :rolling:
ZO62.JPG

ZO63.JPG

ZO613.JPG

ZO617.JPG

Last edited:

CobraRed01

CornerCarvinCravin
Established Member
Nice ride. At $30K with only 6K miles?..how could you NOT buy that Z? Best looking 'Vette to date...except for the C6... but then again you saved yourself about $40K. Good deal. Enjoy. :rockon:

Purvis

VMP TVS Power
Established Member
Thanks Cobra Red..
Yeah I love the new 427 C6Z, but at $70,000 it was a little out of reach for me.
Maybe in another 5-10 years? LOL :whine:

I drove a bunch of base 05 C6's and I liked the C5 Z alot more..
C6 was too quiet and seemed alot slower in SOTP feel...
The C5 Z pulled nicely, and sounded alot more agressive.. The last thing I wanted to do was to be tearing out exhaust systems in a brand new C6...

Jpjr

Established Member
Purvis said:
Thanks Cobra Red..
Yeah I love the new 427 C6Z, but at $70,000 it was a little out of reach for me.
Maybe in another 5-10 years? LOL :whine:

I drove a bunch of base 05 C6's and I liked the C5 Z alot more..
C6 was too quiet and seemed alot slower in SOTP feel...
The C5 Z pulled nicely, and sounded alot more agressive.. The last thing I wanted to do was to be tearing out exhaust systems in a brand new C6...

forget about pulling.. the C5 Z06 will out-handle and out-perform any corvette on the road today.. except for the C6 Z06. and that includes the stock C6 Vette. lap times aren't even close.

broeli

Established Member
Nice car. There are some good deals out there on C5's right now. I guess the C5 owners are selling to jump onto the a C6 :)

Users who are viewing this thread