new shoes on the COBRA!!! + 350z pics

fire_4_effect

Motorsports = Expensive!
Established Member
OP I think they look great.

I plan to put Volk RE-30s in titanium gunmetal on my GT500. They are the best looking, lightest single piece forged aluminum rim I found so I don't care where they are made or where they are popular. To anyone that says they don't belong on a Mustang- I'm not putting 30lb chrome rims on my already overweight car. At 19lbs they are 9lbs lighter than stock PER RIM. That is huge.
volkracing_re30_tigrey_ci3_l.jpg

It's mine and I'm the only asshole whose opinion matters.

that is what i'm talking about! :bowdown: you better order now, i believe the wait is around 90+ days; unless a vendor has it in stock. macking industries is a pain to deal with... that is why i leave it to the vendor. please post pics once you have them mounted... gt500 with re30s, nice!

Blown10thCobra

Established Member
Spitfire I've test fitted a set of RE30's in Formula Silver on my Cobra and they looked fantastic. I'm still on the fence between those and the CCW's.

Blown10thCobra

Established Member
Sure, these but on my car. The owner of this Cobra is actually a member on here, can't remember his username though. My one downside to the RE30's is the rear offset doesn't go as low as I'd like as far as a lip goes, I want a pretty aggressive rear offset for street use. I've already got dedicated road course wheels. The big UPSIDE to the RE30's is they look VERY similar to my 10th Anniversary wheels I currently have. You can't go wrong with a CCW Classic though, excellent wheel.

CBR16.jpg

Ncobra11-1.jpg

Last edited:

Blown10thCobra

Established Member
Wheels + Rubber you won't get a better wheel cheaper. Sure, you pay for these, but they're top notch. I've yet to understand why so many domestic drivers seem to care so little about wheel weight/strength/quality and only how it looks and what it costs. Sure you have CCW 550's but I would rather take the TE's. Classics are about the only CCW that interests me, and I may still go with a Volk or a Gram Lights wheel.

Last edited:

venomous99

Established Member
Wheels + Rubber you won't get a better wheel cheaper. Sure, you pay for these, but they're top notch. I've yet to understand why so many domestic drivers seem to care so little about wheel weight/strength/quality and only how it looks and what it costs. Sure you have CCW 550's but I would rather take the TE's. Classics are about the only CCW that interests me, and I may still go with a Volk or a Gram Lights wheel.

same reason why some put tacky body kits and bling bling in their engine bay. aesthetics go a long way vs all out performance attempting to optimize every aspect of the car. personally like many of us here would rather sacrifice a few lbs for looks. i wouldnt consider a CCW or other 3 piece wheel much of a downgrade if any at all vs this lightweight volk wheel. apparently the new owner and a few here like the volk which is perfectly fine but at the same time we have a good collection of ppl that would beg to differ. im w/ the latter.

fire_4_effect

Motorsports = Expensive!
Established Member

i like your way of thinking in terms of motorsport. i can strongly agree that many domestic owners tend to focus on the appearance/cost aspect when it comes to purchasing wheels; i try to understand the entire volume before a decision is made. you will pay for quality wheels or go with the typical $130-$140 wheels that basically everyone has and be happy with it; i took the other route. brand preference, quality, and weight are major factors that i consider when dealing with wheels/rubbers. to each its own! :beer:

fire_4_effect

Motorsports = Expensive!
Established Member
same reason why some put tacky body kits and bling bling in their engine bay. aesthetics go a long way vs all out performance attempting to optimize every aspect of the car. personally like many of us here would rather sacrifice a few lbs for looks. i wouldnt consider a CCW or other 3 piece wheel much of a downgrade if any at all vs this lightweight volk wheel. apparently the new owner and a few here like the volk which is perfectly fine but at the same time we have a good collection of ppl that would beg to differ. im w/ the latter.

totally respectable! :thumbsup:

Blown10thCobra

Established Member
i like your way of thinking in terms of motorsport. i can strongly agree that many domestic owners tend to focus on the appearance/cost aspect when it comes to purchasing wheels; i try to understand the entire volume before a decision is made. you will pay for quality wheels or go with the typical $130-$140 wheels that basically everyone has and be happy with it; i took the other route. brand preference, quality, and weight are major factors that i consider when dealing with wheels/rubbers. to each its own! :beer:

Thanks, I always have been and always will be a road racer at heart so I tend to think about those things. People find it kinda odd then that I bought an 03 Cobra instead of a C5 Z06 or a new STi, which I had the chance to get both, but I love this car to death. Not to mention making it a formidable road race car for VIR is almost like a challenge to me, I look forward to it.

fire_4_effect

Motorsports = Expensive!
Established Member
Thanks, I always have been and always will be a road racer at heart so I tend to think about those things. People find it kinda odd then that I bought an 03 Cobra instead of a C5 Z06 or a new STi, which I had the chance to get both, but I love this car to death. Not to mention making it a formidable road race car for VIR is almost like a challenge to me, I look forward to it.

that is a sign of true ownership/loyalty to the cobra! :bowdown: but i bet that z06 would of been real nice... not a huge fan of the sti though; it seems that everyone around here to include their brothers has one! my 350z is somewhat rare around here too, seems that people are amazed by the awd concept; IMO, overrated. i will also keep my cobra until the bolts rust off and even then, i will just replace the bolts with new ones! :beer:

Spitfire_GT

Back in the saddle
Established Member
that is what i'm talking about! :bowdown: you better order now, i believe the wait is around 90+ days; unless a vendor has it in stock. macking industries is a pain to deal with... that is why i leave it to the vendor. please post pics once you have them mounted... gt500 with re30s, nice!
Yeah I got a quote from wheels boutique and its 90 days. Also misquoted the weight- 18x9.5 fronts are only 17.2lbs, 18x10.5 rears are 18ish lbs.

Trying to decide now between rims/tires or the Griggs GR40SS kit- both will cost about the same and am leaning toward sorting the suspension first.

Blown10thCobra

Established Member
Sort out the suspension first, stock suspension on those GT500's is god-awful IMO. Check out Agent47 depending on how much coin you're wanting to spend. They make a double A-Arm front end replacement I'm considering picking up. Probably run Penske coilovers on the rear as well, F&R if I don't go the agent47 route.

fire_4_effect

Motorsports = Expensive!
Established Member
Yeah I got a quote from wheels boutique and its 90 days. Also misquoted the weight- 18x9.5 fronts are only 17.2lbs, 18x10.5 rears are 18ish lbs.

Trying to decide now between rims/tires or the Griggs GR40SS kit- both will cost about the same and am leaning toward sorting the suspension first.

i am pretty sure that wheels boutique will have to vend through mackin industries; an authorized rays dealer. i did it the other way around, wheels/rubbers first then will worry about the suspension later when i get back from deployment (some 15 months later)! volks are light quality wheels that are kind of hefty (price wise); but you will love them! either way, please keep us informed on your progress.

fire_4_effect

Motorsports = Expensive!
Established Member
it looks good, but would look better if they were 18's and without the red line, but thats just my opinion.

before going with the 19's, i thought that 18's would of looked small on the cobra; since 17's are factory. i kind of like the time attack look and instead of going with the typical time attack over black, i went with gunmetal. impressive numbers that you got there, tt is the sh*t! thanks for the comment!

FuzzyDiceRule

Established Member
i like the look of TE37's as a wheel, but i personally am a complete 5 spoke whore, and with mustangs, its 5 spokes or bust, i dun like the look of anything else. so its not my favorite, but id rock it...

Users who are viewing this thread