New Terminator, what mods??

MachWon320

Established Member
Alright, its not mine but my best friend just got an 03 Cobra, white, last weekend. We have been obsessed with these cars and I've been a member here for a while. He is going to make his own user name on here soon but until then he's been asking me what mods I think he should do first. He wants to do a pulley swap so I want you guys to help me understand exactly what upper and lower pulley to get, what are the best ones and how much psi will this increase? How much does porting the stock eaton cost and how much power would that provide with the pulley swap. JLT sounds like a prefered intake and I told him to go with either Bassani or Borla for a catback. (I had the Borla stingers on my 04 Mach 1 and loved them!) What other things should he be looking at as far as performance? All contribution is appreciated!

Wishing4Cobra

Established Member
I personally think that FULL BASSANI sounds soo much better than the Stingers. But first mod or mods should be exhaust, intake, pulley, tune.

WOLFGANGSTA

Banned
crizzut said:
skip it and get a whipple :D

:lol: yeah, what he said! Eventually that's the way many people end up anyway after spending thousands on other stuff and then they still want more power. Just get it over with.......WHIPPLE BABY! :rockon:

MachWon320

Established Member
yah whipples the sh*t but he doesn't have money for that, right now he's going to do basics. What pulley swap should he do?

ShaneN.

Established Member
Why whipple as opposed to the KB?

I'm kind of new to the world of terminators, as I come from the gen2 board but now that i'm with the the fast guys( :D ) i keep seeing whipple talk but no kb discussions...

gud2goe

Established Member
check on postbans posts and do the red pill...upgrade what you can to the rear for wheel hop\traction issues or you will be doing it after your mods to the engine.. :rockon:

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
For the suspension mods click on the Red Pill in my signature. As far as other mods, before your friend rushes off and spends money I would highly recommend that he decide first what his goals are.
How much power does he want to make?
Will he want to eventually make more than 525rwhp?
How much money can he afford to spend, and will it be spread out over a few months?
Does he want a loud exhaust or something just above stock? Or something in-between?
As far as the mid-pipe, does he want the same sound of the stock (just louder)? In which case the MRT H-pipe is recommended. Or does he want a different, exotic sound? In which case there are a number of X-pipes available, including Bassani, Magnaflow, Dr. Gas, etc.
Will he be doing a lot of racing?
Does he want to lower the car, and if so does he want to be able to adjust the ride and the height, and maintain ride quality with coil-overs? Or go for a slighly compromised ride with lowering springs?

If he is smart, he will consider carefully all of the mods he is considering. Do it right the first time and he will not waste money on mods that he wished he had done differently.

Best of luck!

MachWon320

Established Member
he wants about 500rwhp. He wants engine mods first then he'll work on suspension and he IS going to take the car to the track just not often. The exhaust, he'll know what to get he likes his cars loud! An o/r x or h pipe with a catback but no headers cause they are a bitch to install and cost too much. What about the pulley swap? Where can I find these?

crizzut

Established Member
ShaneN. said:
Why whipple as opposed to the KB?

I'm kind of new to the world of terminators, as I come from the gen2 board but now that i'm with the the fast guys( :D ) i keep seeing whipple talk but no kb discussions...

customer service from KB has not been the greatest, whipples produce slightly more torque (I believe), while the KB produces a little more power, KB had a problem with some units spraying oil and I don't believe they ever owned up to their units having a problem but apparently fixed it :shrug: . The key reason why I went with a whipple and not the KB is that the KB is supposed to produce much more heat than the whipple.

93 347 Cobra

Established Member
MachWon320 said:
Alright, its not mine but my best friend just got an 03 Cobra, white, last weekend. We have been obsessed with these cars and I've been a member here for a while. He is going to make his own user name on here soon but until then he's been asking me what mods I think he should do first. He wants to do a pulley swap so I want you guys to help me understand exactly what upper and lower pulley to get, what are the best ones and how much psi will this increase? How much does porting the stock eaton cost and how much power would that provide with the pulley swap. JLT sounds like a prefered intake and I told him to go with either Bassani or Borla for a catback. (I had the Borla stingers on my 04 Mach 1 and loved them!) What other things should he be looking at as far as performance? All contribution is appreciated!

I'm in the same position, I just got my '03 Vert in January. The first mod should be an MGW shifter and CobraBob's gaskets; the stock one is horrible and noisy. I missed gears all the time with the stock shifter. I put on the MGW and it is a night and day difference, and the gaskets made the tranny noises much quieter.

My second mod was a JLT RAI . I picked up a dyno-verified 30rwhp and 30rwtq; same dyno same day. I dynoe'd 380/378 stock and 410/405 w/the RAI.

After that he could get an exhaust and tune. I have an unmarried Predator I'm looking to sell if he wants a tuner. I need the money to get the throwout bearing upgraded. Send me a PM if he's interested.

MachWon320

Established Member
i just thot it would be easier to ask then spend hours through different threads to find everything in pieces that you guys can provide in a single thread.

Rick James

Got Brimley???
Established Member
MachWon320 said:
i just thot it would be easier to ask then spend hours through different threads to find everything in pieces that you guys can provide in a single thread.

Understood, but if you only knew how often the same question have been asked on here you would understand why people encourage new peeps to use the search feature. Doesn't take hrs either, and you will get a hell of a lot more info that way. :read:

Users who are viewing this thread