New Times With 3" Exhaust and Off-Roads...

Rob Raymer

Established Member
First of all, I'm not trying to sell anything with this thread. I've received NUMEROUS emails from many of you asking me about the 3" exhaust. So here's the good, bad and the ugly:

I ran my car 2 weeks ago at Beech Bend. At that time it had a L pulley, K&N cone filter, Diablo Chip, and was dynoing 443rwhp. On the stock F1's I managed a 1.87 60ft, 8.05 @ 89.87, and a 12.42 @ 113.2. This was in 90 degree weather, 70% humidity, and all runs were made with virtually no cool down, immediately after a 120 mile drive to the track.

This week we added a stainless fully mandrel bent 3" full exhaust system (attaches immediately behind the manifold collectors. We are running it with no cats, and custom built stainless mufflers. It also utilizes a 3" X-Pipe. After adding the exhaust, 1st gear traction was non-existent. As was 2nd gear. And a good portion of 3rd. (And who said 3" exhaust would hurt low end performance??)

I drove it this weekend on a 700mile roundtrip, so I'll give you the specifics. It has a SLIGHT drone at about 60mph. Almost zero drone at 70+. The sound is similar to that of a Bassani system, IMHO. It does not cackle, or pop, and has a clean, deep rumble. A little loud when you're on it, and mild when you're not. I also wnet from 19mpg with the stock exhaust, to 23mpg with the 3".

On to what you want to really hear....track times.

We took it back to Beech Bend again last night. We also added a set of half worn BFG 275/40/17 drag radials to the stock rims. Though I'm not sure why, since it won't think about hooking with those either.:(

Anyway...here are the numbers. (We made 3 passes, all of which were within .03 sec of each other)

60ft 2.05
1/8 7.99
1/8mph 92.40
1/4 12.28
1/4mph 117.09

This was done with a full tank of gas (trying to aid in traction), right off the Interstate again. Weather was closer to 95 degrees yesterday, and much more humid (88%).
An important point is, that even with the drag radials, I had to back-peddle both 1st and 2nd gear (resulting in the worse 60ft times). Which I didn't have to do 2 weeks ago with the F1's and stock exahsut.

So, to sum it up, I picked up 4mph in the 1/4, gained tire shreading power, much improved sound, and gained 4mpg.

I don't have any new dyno numbers yet, but I should have later tonight. When I get 'em, I'll post 'em....

trmn8tr

Established Member
Rob,
When will the 3" x-pipe be for sale? I have been looking for one.
I already have a 3" exhaust.

Thanks.

Rob Raymer

Established Member
Originally posted by trmn8tr
Rob,
When will the 3" x-pipe be for sale? I have been looking for one.
I already have a 3" exhaust.

Thanks.

I can't advertise any products on this site (though I tried, but it's against SVT Performance's aggreement). However, you can still email me direct at [email protected].

Regarding the above times, I should also mention that I have never powershifted the car. I lift-shifted on each and every run.

I also have some good before an after pics of the exhaust. I'll download them later tonight along with the new dyno sheets. Just not sure if I'm alowed to post them or not...???

And then next weekend, the ET Streets will be on it.

Gale Blackwell

Established Member
Does anyone anyone have performance results with 3" exhaust and cone K&N only? I have heard 3" exaust would hurt perf without other mods, like pulley and chip ect.?????

WA 2 FST

Established Member
Wow, Rob!!! Very, very impressive gains.

I bet no one would have guessed that!! :eek:

Great job, and keep us posted on the R&D of your products...and yeah, a dyno graph when you get a chance would be great, too!

Robertson Racin

All American Muscle
Established Member
3" exhaust

Would love to see a dyno run compairing 3" against a high flow 2 1/2":thumbsup:

Rob Raymer

Established Member
Dyno Results

I just got off the dyno....and man are the results unbelieveable!

Old #'s:

peak 443 rwhp @ 5900
peak 441 rwtq @ 4400

New #'s:

peak 467 rwhp @ 6000
peak 519 rwtq @ 3300 !!!!!

The old dyno numbers were with a L pulley and K&N only. The new numbers were with the addition of the dual 3" exhaust, off-road X-pipe, and a Diablo chip. (for A/F reasons, the chip is an absolute must-have when doing an exhaust and L pulley)

The most amazing thing is the power under the curve. There are several points on the dyno graph where we picked up HUGE gains! In example:

old - 207rwhp @ 3000 vs new - 292 rwhp @ 3000
old - 325rwtq @ 2500 vs new - 493 rwtq @ 2500

That's 85 more rear wheel Hp and 168 more ft lbs of torque! No wonder I have traction issues! :eek:

Also, the A/F ratio stayed between 11:1 and 11.5:1 for the majority of the pull. So this is a very safe tune.

I'm scanning the dyno sheets now and I'll post them later tonight. I'll also post pics of the exhaust tonight too.

kom

Established Member
:eek: :eek: ***old - 325rwtq @ 2500 vs new - 493 rwtq @ 2500***:eek: :eek:

Holly Crap!!! Thats unreal...

Custom mufflers? Are they Flowmaster style?

03DOHC

Established Member
If you guys can quiet it down some, I'm assuming it's kinda loud, and offer it w/a catted x-pipe I'll be very interested!

Last edited:

Rob Raymer

Established Member
We are a Diablo Dealer. We had this program made specifically for our combination.

Oddly enough, the exhaust isn't loud. In example, a 5.0 mustang with flowmasters is a LOT louder. This system is VERY civil.

I'm downloading the pics and dyno sheets now. Should have 'em posted within the next hour....

03DOHC

Established Member
Originally posted by Rob Raymer
Oddly enough, the exhaust isn't loud.

I'm downloading the pics and dyno sheets now. Should have 'em posted within the next hour....
Cool!:thumbsup:

coleman

Established Member
i'm glad i didn't jump for any 2.5" exhaust yet...
but, i don't want to NOT have CATs... the fine is just too great!
when will this be available? and dare i ask... price?

Rob Raymer

Established Member
As I said, I can't advertise here. I'm just showing you all the system I have on my own personal car, and my track/dyno results.

I will say though, that the exhaust was designed with Random Tech high flow cats. We simply removed/replaced them with slip-in off road pipes. You can tell in the pictures, just forward of the x-pipe, where the cats fit. Going from legal to off-road is a piece of cake.

Users who are viewing this thread