New tires?

Akuma

Established Member
I purchased my GT500 last month and the car had 12k miles on it. The tires are a little shot and the left rear has a slow leak. I said screw patching them and it's time for a new set. After a little bit of searching around on the forums I found that most of the 13-14 Shelby guys run the MICHELIN Pilot Super Sport(PSS). I'd like to pick up a set for myself but it seems that they're sold out everywhere...I got on the phone with tire rack and found out that the plant isn't going to be making them for another 5 weeks and 4 weeks to produce and 2 weeks to ship. So unless I'm willing to wait until September, there's not that many options for us (No Shelby for four months? **** that).

Of all the other tires that people have ran, what's something comparable to the Michelin's? I'm willing to take something stickier that only lasts 10k too.

Thanks,
Kyle.

Ablaze

Established Member
R888s if you don't drag race and 555Rs if you do. Cannot go wrong in either direction for the rear.

little-dw

Established Member
+1 for the R888

I just got my rear set in the other day. Very aggressive looking and beefy

Snapchat-2981489642635513765.jpg

Akuma

Established Member
Thanks for the suggestions for the rears, I'm impressed in what I've seen on them so far. Do the R888's need to have a heat cycle and would you run them on the street? What about fronts?

Blackdevil77

Established Member
R888's for sure. Incredible all around tire, and grippier than the MPSS. And they actually aren't bad in the rain! Only thing that may be better with the MPSS is tread wear.

DSC00409_zpsew6lyetr.jpg

LRG_DSC00408_zps80sucmug.jpg

Kel

Established Member
What does a set of the R888's run? Stock size or does everyone up size ala the MPSS? I've been pinging DTD since last summer on those damn MPSS and they're ALWAYS out of stock...

SVTKen

Established Member
R888s if you don't drag race and 555Rs if you do. Cannot go wrong in either direction for the rear.

I recommend the Toyo R888s. They are perfect for autocross, road racing, or even at the strip. Sure, they're not as sticky as the 555Rs which may be a little better at the strip, but the R888s are far better in terms of handling and a better all around performer than any drag radial will ever be. If you have stock power, the Toyo R888s hold the 662 hp amazingly well. I have been driving on the Toyo R888s for several weeks now, even in the rain, and they are an outstanding tire, far better than the stock Eagle F1s ever were even when fully heated. I have been to the strip with them too, and after letting out some pressure and heating them up, they hold the power quite well - traction was not an issue with them on the strip. More importantly, they are great on the street and if you enjoy pushing the limits around turns (like I do!), the Toyo R888s will be better than a DR. Rub your finger along the sidewall on a hot day and you would swear it was a DR. The tech inspector at Capitol Raceway thought they actually were drag radials and I had to explain that they weren't.

I was out this afternoon enjoying some country back roads in my GT500. It was around 80 degrees. I could roll first gear to the floor VERY quickly with just a hint of tire squeal. I could also slam it into 2nd gear so hard that it would bark the tires and immediately grip - no wheel spin, just a sharp bark and immediate grip. It was as close to a 2nd gear power shift at around 6500 RPM as I could perform and there was no problem with grip. I literally had my right foot planted to the floor when I shifted into 2nd. Not only that, the tires just dig in when accelerating out of turns. They give me a great deal of confidence. I can now do things that I didn't even think were possible with the car (because of my bad experience with the F1s). These tires actually have me thinking that maybe 3.73 gears aren't such a crazy idea for the street after all, so now I'm already thinking about doing this. I don't think the Toyo R888s will wear very well, but I only plan on getting about one season of use from them because I like to take my car to the strip and that eats up the rubber.

As long as they have tread on them, I wouldn't worry about getting caught in a storm in them either. I wouldn't want to drive my car on DRs in the rain.

R888's for sure. Incredible all around tire, and grippier than the MPSS. And they actually aren't bad in the rain! Only thing that may be better with the MPSS is tread wear.

DSC00409_zpsew6lyetr.jpg

LRG_DSC00408_zps80sucmug.jpg

Hey, you've got my tires on your car. LOL :)

Last edited:

Akuma

Established Member
Had the Toyo R888s installed last week and the GT500's a totally new car. Hooks up from a dig like no other. With the stocks, I was having issues from a 20mph roll.

Thanks to you all for your advice,

Kyle.

COOL COBRA

Hell Yes!
Established Member
I'm glad to see more guys seeing the benefit of the 888. I've had them on my '13 since July of '12. I've been hooked on them since!
It's THE tire to run, hands down.

Speedboosted

Established Member
I'm glad to see more guys seeing the benefit of the 888. I've had them on my '13 since July of '12. I've been hooked on them since!
It's THE tire to run, hands down.

Agreed, they are a great all around tire. I'd run them on all my cars all the time if I could afford it, those things are a little spendy...gotta pay tp play I guess

Users who are viewing this thread