new to GT500-performance mods

SVTFOREVER2008

Established Member
Hello all,

I have a new to me 2008 GT500 that I just purchased in july, one owner with 7,000 miles. Love the car and a huge difference from my 2005 GT and 2006 vette I used to have. I already put a metco 2.6 upper, jlt 123mm intake, TR6 plugs, sct canned tune and slp axle back loudmouths...huge difference :thumbsup: along with stillen drilled/slotted rotors, hawk pads and BMR control arms with brackets. I want to get it dyno tuned in delaware at performane evolution and was looking at lethal performance catted x pipe and possibly IW 10%-15% UD pulley before i have it done. My question is to all of you if there is anything I might want to do before the dyno tune and if the x pipe and UD pulley is worth it. BTW I am holding off on a bigger blower for now (future mod).

Thanks in advance

stkjock

Corn Powered 900 HP!
Established Member
IMO if you are adding a X-pipe, get the O/R for best bang for the buck.

the 10% not the 15% IMO (and its a OD not a UD pulley)

John@Lethal

Authorized Vendor
Authorized Vendor
Congrats on the new purchase. They're great machines aren't they. Obviously you already know that since you've swapped the blower pulley and seem to be enjoying all that power already.

You definitely have the right idea for sure. Adding our X pipe will definitely make a difference in sound, and make for a few extra horses. Cat-less is my preference as well as mentioned before.

You can find the mid pipes here: 2007-2009 GT500 Lethal Performance Mid Pipes

Another great idea and mentioned already is a heat exchanger. Even at stock power they're a viable addition. You can check them out here: 2007-2009 GT500 Heat Exchangers

When you're considering an upper and lower, that heat exchanger, thermostat, and expansion tanks are going to be a big help.

Other than that, I'd suggest just going with a Lund Racing custom tune. The set up you're going for is very common, and we can gladly get you a Lund tune for your set up without needing the car on a dyno. Just another option to consider.

Other than that, you may need some stickier rubber to help that power get to the ground better :)

Let me know if you have any questions, or shoot me a PM.

Thanks!

rajiv1998

Established Member
If you were to put a 10% OD pulley I would look towards a new heat exchanger with dual fans because the car will heat soack pretty quick. I wouldnt spend $600 on a OD pulley just yet. I would instead send the blower over to Bob or Posi and have them work their magic.

SVTFOREVER2008

Established Member
My bad on the UD pulley haha. The IW OD looks like it has alot of good reviews. I have not done the heat exchanger yet, but it is a planned mod before spring hits. Are their big gains in getting the stock blower ported?

s174

trooper speed
Established Member
all good advice ^ mine is enjoy the car, take it to the track and beat on it, meeting new people and hanging out, swapping parts, helping each other, great times!

John@Lethal

Authorized Vendor
Authorized Vendor
Another option I forgot to mention if you don't want to send the blower out is going with the 2013 TVS upgrade a lot of 07-12 guys are currently doing.

Check it out here:
Lethal Performance 07-2012 GT500 630rwhp FRPP TVS Supercharger Package

That's the package we worked with Lund on to offer the 07-12 Shelby guys to keep up with the new 13 as best we can while keeping it a relatively affordable package. Bang for the buck wise, it's tough to beat for the output you get. Upper and lower will only take you so far before you have to port that stock blower to support more power. Definitely something to consider.

2011 gtcs

GT500 poster
Established Member
Premium Member
Do a heat exchanger soon, one of my best mods, the stock one on the 07 to 09 is tiny,
Also do a off road x, it helped out my top end power a lot, o one last thing, i highly recommend you purchase a wide band gauge, with making more boost you want to make sure you don't go lean and mess your engine up. Good luck with everything and have fun.

Last edited:

SVTFOREVER2008

Established Member
Yea i was looking at the 13 TVS package and it looks promising. That will be somthing I will be looking into in a later date, just trying to get basics down on the car now. For the price it looks very hard to beat.

NightRide

Roll Racer
Established Member
Porting would have been a good idea a few months ago, posi stopped doing them and stiegmeir is outrageous. Do the cooling mods first, he, t stat, reservoir, get some stickier tires then get the od. If you do the lower first you will be heat soaked after one pull and spinning through the first few gears. O/r x is another good mod to do first as mentioned. It never ends, haha.

SVTFOREVER2008

Established Member
Porting would have been a good idea a few months ago, posi stopped doing them and stiegmeir is outrageous. Do the cooling mods first, he, t stat, reservoir, get some stickier tires then get the od. If you do the lower first you will be heat soaked after one pull and spinning through the first few gears. O/r x is another good mod to do first as mentioned. It never ends, haha.

I need tires now haha I am thinking NT05R in the rear and invo's in the front. Thanks for all the advise guys its much needed since this is my first forced induction car.:beer:

me32

BEASTLY SHELBY GT500 TVS
Premium Member
congrats on the new car. the GT500 are great cars. doing a TVS upgrade is the best bang for the buck

NightRide

Roll Racer
Established Member
I need tires now haha I am thinking NT05R in the rear and invo's in the front. Thanks for all the advise guys its much needed since this is my first forced induction car.:beer:

I would do nto5r in back nto5 fronts to match. I went with 555r in back and the 555 up front for the summer. Went with these because I like to take trips out of town and they're not scary in the rain. Can still go wot from a 45 roll without spinning if I get any takers too.

TexasShelby

Established Member
when I put on the hiflow xpipe, I had Corsa's on and wow was it way past loud, and not the good kind. I put a set of Magnaflow resonators to tone it down.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread