New to me car….C6 Z06

Crimson2v

Established Member
Premium Member
Congratulations on the new ride. The Ron Fellows addition is such a nice addition to an already awesome looking car.

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
Great info Abe!!!

And congratulations, Brad, on finding that really nice Z06. The paint looks awesome, and the previous owner did those mods right. You did well on this buy. Enjoy it! And turn a few heads along the way.

Kevinbonds

Established Member
I had a C6 Z06, and really enjoyed it. I had it for about two years and sold it, got killed on it since the vales were not done. I never drove it hard for fear for the valve issue and sold it before anything happened. One piece of advice, if you plan to use the car to actually go somewhere, you need to know where you are going and scope out the ingress and egress. I cannot tell you how many times I bottomed out my car, it got to the point that if I did not know exactly where I was going and had not been there before I would not take the corvette.

Corona-Extra

Miles Away From Ordinary
Established Member
Congratulations! The Ron Fellows Edition had my interest since 2007. I love the C6 platform almost as much as the terminator. Reliable fun with a few simple mods and a solid tune plus the symphony from a cammed LS is unmatched.

Attachments

• ZR1 @ AMP.jpg
    ZR1 @ AMP.jpg
    222.6 KB · Views: 71

IamRacerX

No brand loyalty rhetoric here.
Established Member
How frequently should the valve train be checked? And what does that entail?
It will depend on your driving use and miles used. The "wiggle" test is what everyone was doing the last few years I had my Z. Not sure if there is something more now.
For your info, I drove mine pretty hard. It had 100+ of 1/4 mile passes over the 7+ years I owned it. I purchased a GMPP warranty on the car for a piece of mind. I know owners two, three and four had no issues with the car. Lost track of it after that. Not trying to give you the sky is falling vibes, but like anything in life its important to have the full picture. My C5Z is in the shop getting a cammed LS3 crate motor as we speak. I am hopeful it will give my C5 similar power I had with my C6Z. Amazing cars!!

ArabianOak

Established Member
from my understanding the wiggle test is part of the reason GM was sued awhile back on this engine...that video I posted spoke about it briefly.

as others have mentioned MANY have reported no issues but MANY have as well. I can tell you from my experience that the worst feeling I have ever had was getting out of my z06 and seeing antifreeze coming out of the intake. spend some time on the vette forum and get the real info on this.

just be ready for the vette forum experience as well...which can be as bad as dropping valves in the z...lololololol

BlckBox04

I am the liquor
Established Member
Premium Member
hell yea man, welcome to the club. If you want complete piece of mind on the heads, just buy new after market casting like Frankenstein, Brodix, Trick flow... and for a street car I will suggest no cam larger than a stage II. I have a stage III and it's a little too aggressive.

bssmith1220

Established Member
Thanks for all the advice everyone. The cylinder head thing freaks me out a little but I knew that going into it. This one has had the heads fixed so fingers crossed it’s all good.

Dirks9901

Paint>Vinyl
Established Member
Premium Member
I saw that car listed forsale. I always loved the RF edition. Congrats!!!
I owned a C6Z which I bought new. What an amazing car. I had so many fun times in it. Ran 10s stock on DR, Did 173 in the standing mile. Met and started dating my wife in that car.
I will warn you, I know of a bunch of blown LS7s. Even with "fixed" heads. Have the valvetrain checked (or learn how yourself) periodically. Those motors are expensive and GM no longer makes them as crate motors.
Otherwise its one of the best all around sports cars ever made.

Wait, so you’re telling me that even with the valves/heads fixed people were still dropping valves and nuking the motor? Reason i ask is a C6Z is the next fun car i want to add.

Sent from my iPhone using the svtperformance.com mobile app

ArabianOak

Established Member
Wait, so you’re telling me that even with the valves/heads fixed people were still dropping valves and nuking the motor? Reason i ask is a C6Z is the next fun car i want to add.

Mine did AFTER the bronze valve guides etc.

I spent 2k to protect the engine only to have it get toasted anyways. That’s why I posted the video. Lots of discussion on this subject.

Kevinbonds

Established Member

It's the exhaust valves that are the issue, so if the head is done and they are replaced should be good to go.

Dirks9901

Paint>Vinyl
Established Member
Premium Member
Mine did AFTER the bronze valve guides etc.

I spent 2k to protect the engine only to have it get toasted anyways. That’s why I posted the video. Lots of discussion on this subject.

Wow. Thanks for the info. I’m gonna watch that video. I have known about the valve/heads issue and have accounted for that when I purchased a C6Z. As in its going straight to Katech after purchased. I didn’t know it can still happen after the head fix

ArabianOak

Established Member
Ouch! I did allot of research when I had my Z, did you happen to down shift at a high RPM? I have heard once the valves are changed out, so long as you are not downshifting aggressively you should be good to go.
no sir...i was around 3k rpm if I remember correctly and just shifting normal...car just turned off. I pulled over and it wouldnt start. I got out popped the hood and saw antifreeze coming out my intake...and let me tell you, when i saw that i almost tossed my cookies, thats how sick it made me. gut wrenching!

c6boom.jpg

c6boom1.jpg

c6boom4.jpg

c6boom5.jpg

bssmith1220

Established Member
no sir...i was around 3k rpm if I remember correctly and just shifting normal...car just turned off. I pulled over and it wouldnt start. I got out popped the hood and saw antifreeze coming out my intake...and let me tell you, when i saw that i almost tossed my cookies, thats how sick it made me. gut wrenching!

View attachment 1796167
View attachment 1796168
View attachment 1796169
View attachment 1796170
I had a few people tell me that you couldn’t give them a LS7 powered car and others say they beat theirs to death with zero issues. I guess it’s just a roll of the dice but I plan to enjoy the car and hopefully I’m not another statistic.

ArabianOak

Established Member
I had a few people tell me that you couldn’t give them a LS7 powered car and others say they beat theirs to death with zero issues. I guess it’s just a roll of the dice but I plan to enjoy the car and hopefully I’m not another statistic.
i have too...i think the video i posted FINALLY recognized the real issue. It took some time and lawsuits but now you have good info...i didn't have that and lost my ass. lol

Kevinbonds

Established Member

View attachment 1796167
View attachment 1796168
View attachment 1796169
View attachment 1796170

I had this exact car, clone of my previous Z06. I had that nightmare in my head of my roasted engine and the car on the side of the road. I really cannot think of another car that I have liked the looks and spec sheet better than the C6Z, even to this day I still think about getting back into one. If I bought another corvette, it would be a later year C6 grand sport. All the looks and handling of the Z06, without the LS7.

Users who are viewing this thread