New tune help and questions

leftysmoke

SNK B1TE
Established Member
I'm looking to get a new tune for the spring. I purchased my car this summer and it made 480/480 on a 91 tune before the previous owner added the ported TB/plenum and before I added the Stingers and UPR O/R X. I'm looking to hit 500 or a little more, which shouldn't be hard with a 93 tune from what I've heard, and I'd like a more stable tune overall. The car has a slight putter under 1k which I'm thinking is either the tune or possibly the plugs aren't gapped to the car's liking.

My questions are, who should I let tune my car for the best result and what do you guys think the putter is? If the car is right at 1k, it idles perfectly. I guess it could be a small vacuum leak. The previous owner said it happened directly after he cleaned the air filter. As for my tune, I live in Midwest Ohio, but I'm thinking it might be in my best interest to get a mail tune due to the small selection of quality tuners around here. What do you guys think? Thanks.

cobracide

Established Member
I'd post in the local section to find a good tuner in your area. A good reliable tune is always a good idea to maximize your power. Who knows about the "putter"? You need someone to look at it in person.

leftysmoke

SNK B1TE
Established Member
Not too worried about the putter. As for tuners, I was hoping for some opinions on Amazon or another mail order tuner. How do you like that 2.90 + 4# combo? I thought about switching to that.

cobracide

Established Member
Not too worried about the putter. As for tuners, I was hoping for some opinions on Amazon or another mail order tuner. How do you like that 2.90 + 4# combo? I thought about switching to that.

It's an awesome street combo, the IAT2's are more than manageble. Being a daily driver, I went with street tires - 315 sized gs-d3's and I am traction limited. Check out brooksspeed for a good mail order tune. Having said that, it's always preferable to do a live dyno session.

Last edited:

leftysmoke

SNK B1TE
Established Member
It's an awesome street combo, the IAT2's are more than manageble. Being a daily driver, I went with street tires - 315 sized gs-d3's and I am traction limited. Check out brooksspeed for a good mail order tune. Having said that, it's always preferable to do a live dyno session.

Thanks. I have always heard good things about that combo.

AmazonTuning

SVT God
Established Member
PM your # to me and I will have Rick call you to discuss your tuning options..

we always appreciate the members giving us a chance to earn your business

Root1022

100 Shot, 1 Kill
Established Member
Clean your MAF. Seing as how it happened after he cleaned the filter theres a chance some of the oil got on the MAF, also check for vaccum leaks for the sputter! As for tuners you cant go wrong with amazon!

leftysmoke

SNK B1TE
Established Member
Clean your MAF. Seing as how it happened after he cleaned the filter theres a chance some of the oil got on the MAF, also check for vaccum leaks for the sputter! As for tuners you cant go wrong with amazon!

What would you use to clean the MAF and what would be the best way to go about finding a vacuum leak? Thanks.

Users who are viewing this thread