new z06...should we worry?

Chucko

Palindrome
Established Member
I-CAN-STANG said:
So what? It's still gonna be faster either way....7.0 or 6.4L.

Like someone said earlier in the thread - there is always something faster.

The 03/04 Cobra still enjoys the absolute best HP-per-Dollar ratio of any car in recent memory.

Brad

Banned
You don't need to worry if you're in a 600 horse + kenne bell/whipple/turbo cobra, but all other will lose with the quickness.

JTSVT

Equal Opportunity AzzKker
Established Member
I didnt realize they're only making 1500 of them...damn thats not alot at all.....as most said to even have a car thats close enough to beating these or at least run w/ and 30K LESS Id say Im pretty happy.....w/ the mods Im about to do they wont be a problem though ;)----JT

KBpumped03

Established Member
I-CAN-STANG said:
When has the LS1/6 been known for failure or any Chevy motor for that matter? Enlighten me please! :??: I recall these motors (32V 4.6L SC) has wayyy more problems than the LS1 ever encountered!

The first LS6's had oil consumption problems.

The 03/04 Cobra is slower than the present Z06, Viper and probably the new C6 LS2. An 03/04 Cobra with a 2.80 upper and a four pound lower will give the new Z all it can handle and more. If the next generation Cobra gets the Ford GT engine, it will best the new Z with a simple pulley change and tune alone.

Some vette owners are saying the new Z will beat the Ford GT. Um, ugh, no. The Ford GT is rated 550 at the crank but is making 550 at the wheels on a Dynojet. The early rumors that the new Viper was handling it was just that, a rumor. This car is smoking ass on any course.

Last edited:

I-CAN-STANG

cut em' off at the knees
Established Member
I had an 01 ZO6 with no oil consumption problems.....sure the problem existed but not in many of them!

04TRCobra

KING
Established Member
i bet there will be more than 1500 of them by 2007...

isnt like 30% of corvettes produced in 2002-2004 Z06's????

dont they make like 15-18,000 vettes a year???

so i bet by the 2nd year...there will be around 5,000 of them being Z06's.

sonicblue2003

Established Member
who really gives a shit. until the car is out and we know what it really does, then worry. no matter what i will never buy 1, and for all of u that are going to dump ur 03/04's to buy a Z. then u r not a real ford guy in my opion and we dont want u. I think the cobra is still the best bang for ur buck, and I am never going to get rid of it cause its my baby. I believe that ford will do even better in 07 and my baby will have a new little brother. Plus every person I run into with a vet is a dick. thats just my O2 I now there r going to be people who disagree, but I dont give a shit. every1 has there own thoughs....

I-CAN-STANG

cut em' off at the knees
Established Member
sonicblue2003 said:
who really gives a shit. until the car is out and we know what it really does, then worry. no matter what i will never buy 1, and for all of u that are going to dump ur 03/04's to buy a Z. then u r not a real ford guy in my opion and we dont want u. I think the cobra is still the best bang for ur buck, and I am never going to get rid of it cause its my baby. I believe that ford will do even better in 07 and my baby will have a new little brother. Plus every person I run into with a vet is a dick. thats just my O2 I now there r going to be people who disagree, but I dont give a shit. every1 has there own thoughs....

Not a Ford guy huh? Geez, get a life man! :nonono:

vipergts281

Established Member
sonicblue2003 said:
I'm a car guy, not a Ford guy.

HISSMAN

The Great Bearded One
Super Moderator
I was a GM guy...they went to hell in a handbasket.

I switched to Ford..mainly SVT....if they go to hell in a handbasket I guess I will switch to Dodge...hmmm maybe not. But someone.

Hopefully Ford will continue to make exactly what I want. I like my cobra. In a vette I have found...My Mom has one...that you get more dirty looks from people. In my cobra, it is just another mustang to a lot of people. That is what I like about it. I get the power of a vette type car but without the "look at that rich prick" glares from everyone. You should see how people look at me when I drive the Hummer, or the 02 T-bird, now that is a dirty look.

Last edited:

NHRACobra

Cobra guy
Established Member
To keep ahead of those new Z06's, I guess I'll have to install a twin screw. I'll need 600+rwhp. That should keep me out in front. :banana:

jdk

No fun til someone dies
Established Member
Why would you worry? They're two totally different cars. The cobra will always be king in terms of easy horsepower and straight line acceleration. Now if I was buying a car for road courses it'd be a different story, a stock z06 is all you need for that.

Miamifan1354

De Chapter of the MACA
Established Member
Just found this thread.. I'm goin for 600RWHP on a mustang dyno with my whipple.. any chance I'll be able to take that vette? :beer:

oldnfast

approaching ancient
Established Member
Our cars were never intended to compete with the 'vette. They just happen to kick some serious ass with very few mods.

Our cars were intended to drive a stake into the heart of the Camaro/'bird. They did.

GM's most recent attempt to compete with the pony is the GTO. It ain't hapnin' folks. GM estimated sales of 18000 for '04. Thru Sept, they've sold just a tad over 8000. Domestic inventory was at a 160 day supply on Oct 1. Do the math. That's more than a 5 month supply with only 3 months left in the year.

The Z is, and will be, a great car. But it's in a different class. The only 'vette I've ever wanted was a '62. They've become just a little pricey. Like I said, the Z's are great cars. They're just not the kind of car I like to drive.

redstaf426

Established Member
sonicblue2003 said:

I'm not a Ford guy or anything,But The new Z06 does seem like a force to be recong with,It's kind of sucks that our cars are still so new,and most of us are still in the trial and error stage on most of the after market mods(that's why the regret thread is so popular).I think once more R&D is done,more Parts are available and gets a bit cheaper.Within the next couple of years,we'll probably edge out every single production cars out there,mod for mod.A good example of this would be the Toyota Supra JZA80 twin turbo,when it first came out,not much R&D was done,and they weren't impressive enough for people to buy,so they dis-continue the production in 98(I think they only sold like a 115 of them in 97).3-4 yrs after that,It was in the 8's with a stock chassie,I still see 10 second supras drive on the street and the track around here and this is with a DOHC I-6 @3.0 L.
I know with our DOHC Modular V8 @ 4.6 L with a well build twin turbo set up,some new pistons,we will pretty much kill anything that comes our way.It's just the matter of money and time,I mean if every one can just save up for a while without spending any money on the Cobra,and then do a twin turbo GP :pepper: .In the end,we will edge out by FAR....there's no doubt :beer:

Users who are viewing this thread