new z06...should we worry?

04SilverSerpent

ZTP
Established Member
I would hope its fast for the pricetag they are going to put on it. Put 20g's into the cobra and what would you get. Actually all you need is about 8k (twin 57mm's) and you will destroy it or much less anything else on the road. Enough said! :)

BenD

Established Member
BenD

Thank God for relatively inexpensive modifications by comparison to a Vette. The shop that works on my car just finished a 1200 HP Vette for the Nevada Silver State Classic next year. The guy ran the 1 mile drag this year at a top of 176 and was beaten by a Viper at 187. So he dumped another 12 grand in the car for a total of 48. His objective is 200 mph.

I'm reasonably sure that we can get to that HP for a lot less including new pistons. So don't worry about the new Z06 we will be able to stay competitive.

vipergts281

Established Member
04SilverSerpent said:
I would hope its fast for the pricetag they are going to put on it. Put 20g's into the cobra and what would you get. Actually all you need is about 8k (twin 57mm's) and you will destroy it or much less anything else on the road. Enough said! :)
Yeah, but after $20,000 it is still a Cobra that is only worth something in the 20's. And you would need more than just the twins if you go that route. Our pistons won't last.

HISSMAN

The Great Bearded One
Super Moderator
vipergts281 said:
Yeah, but after $20,000 it is still a Cobra that is only worth something in the 20's. And you would need more than just the twins if you go that route. Our pistons won't last.

Why wouldn't they? With Twin turbos running 10 lb of boost you would probably be making close to 550-600 to the rear, and with 13lbs it would be closer to 600-675. There would be no reason to chance internals.

vipergts281

Established Member
HISSMAN said:
Why wouldn't they? With Twin turbos running 10 lb of boost you would probably be making close to 550-600 to the rear, and with 13lbs it would be closer to 600-675. There would be no reason to chance internals.
True, with "only" 550-600 rwhp, I guess the pistons will be fine, for a bit atleast. But with twins, who is going to stay at only 600 rwhp? :burnout:

04cobratorchred

I Love Being Blown
Established Member
that thing looks bad ass!!! I really don't see us hanging with the numbers they say its going to be putting out

Last edited:

redstaf426

Established Member
04cobratorchred said:
that think looks bad ass!!! I really don't see us hanging with the numbers they say its going to be putting out

I agree with you,only time and money will tell.

Blk03SVTCobra

Established Member
Remember the important quote from the book of Mustang...

"Yea though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I shall fear no Chevy."

I will never fear it, but I may come to respect it through an arse whoopin :-D

Grey03Cobra

Established Member
Brad said:
You don't need to worry if you're in a 600 horse + kenne bell/whipple/turbo cobra, but all other will lose with the quickness.

Wooo hoooo :pepper: :banana:

The next Z06 is going to be badass. However, the Cobra isn't in the same class as the Vette, and for the $35,000 I paid for my Cobra, I feel I got the best bang for the buck.

In an ideal world I would have a four car garage. I would have my Cobra, a new red Z06, a blue and white stripped Ford GT, and a Lamborghini Gallardo. :rockon:..............man, the real world sucks. :cryying:

Last edited:

03gobluecobra

torque steer sucks
Established Member
I don't think I would be worried. That is going to be one sweet car, and would be a supercar in my opinion. The C6 made 10th place on the top gear track times, which beat an awful lot of expensive cars. This car should blow the C6 away. I would think this car will be priced near a viper, as that is certainly the class it will be in. But think how many vipers you see, not too many. Plus even if someone can afford this car, a lot of people who do will be leaving it stock. I just doubt I would ever get to race one, let alone a modded one.

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
HISSMAN said:
A modded Z06...yes! But have no fear. the 06/07 Cobra will be able to hang about the same as the current 03/04 cobras do with the current Z06. A few mods and we are good to go. Not bad considering that the new Z will be considered a supercar by many with it's top end of 200mph.
As much as I'd love to believe it, I don't see it happening. Even if Ford does make the Cobra, and even if they do up the ante to 450-500hp it will still have to lug around at least an extra 500 lbs. Weight and heat are the Cobra's Archilles Heel. I predict that the new Z06 will be King of the Road. I don't think we yet appreciate just how good this car is going to be.
;-)

lRageATMl

GO TERPS!
Established Member
Power to weight ratio of the new z06...

lets say it makes 480rwhp....then 2900/480=6.042lbs per 1hp

the equavilent in our cars assuming the car weighs 3700 would be:

3700*480/2900 = ~613rwhp

so yeah you should be worried...my car on the other hand weighs a bit less, 3470 and would need 575rwhp to be even....but I will be way over that thanks to a blower known as KB :beer:

MG01SVT

citius, fortius
Established Member
Mackie said:
I'm a little worried that the 60-year olds that are going to pony up $60K for one of these might drift over into my lane while searching for a Walgreens....,

:poke:

Hell yeah!!

That's hilarious

unit213

Bone Stock
Established Member
The Z06 is going to be an animal. I have my sights set on one for my next car. Heads, Cam, exhaust, tires, and a 150 shot. There's not much that will touch it.

Hank

Mechanical Engineer
Established Member
I'm not worried a bit. I can't get these yuppies to race me for ANYTHING in their vettes. Why bother strapping them into something with even more horsepower? They aren't going to use any of it! (At least around my parts)

vipergts281

Established Member
CobraBob said:
I predict that the new Z06 will be King of the Road. I don't think we yet appreciate just how good this car is going to be.
;-)
That's what I think as well. Running right there with the Viper, if not beating it.

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
oldnfast said:
Our cars were never intended to compete with the 'vette. They just happen to kick some serious ass with very few mods.

Our cars were intended to drive a stake into the heart of the Camaro/'bird. They did.

GM's most recent attempt to compete with the pony is the GTO. It ain't hapnin' folks. GM estimated sales of 18000 for '04. Thru Sept, they've sold just a tad over 8000. Domestic inventory was at a 160 day supply on Oct 1. Do the math. That's more than a 5 month supply with only 3 months left in the year.

The Z is, and will be, a great car. But it's in a different class. The only 'vette I've ever wanted was a '62. They've become just a little pricey. Like I said, the Z's are great cars. They're just not the kind of car I like to drive.
The major reason the '04 GTO failed in sales is because (A) it was underpowered and (B) it had a plain vanilla exterior. Same reason the Chevy SSR is failing in sales. The '05 GTO with it's 400hp motor, new rear fascia, new exhaust and scooped hood is more what folks expected from the get-go. Time will tell if it is too little too late. I have to admit that the new GTO looks a lot better than the '04. A lot better. But you just can't beat how easy and inexpensive it is to mod the Cobra to the 500-525rwhp level. And that's just the beginning. :)

NHRACobra

Cobra guy
Established Member
You CANNOT beat boost! With that said, when the new Cobra arrives with it's 5.4 twin screw engine, it won't take much to keep ahead of that ZO6/7 or whatever they call it. :D

03gobluecobra

torque steer sucks
Established Member
You CANNOT beat boost! With that said, when the new Cobra arrives with it's 5.4 twin screw engine, it won't take much to keep ahead of that ZO6/7 or whatever they call it.

I think it will be very tough for a cobra to keep up with that Z on a road course. But in straight line I think you are right. I think the current cobra engine with a KB will put down ~450rwhp with just 9 psi. This cobra will have an extra .8 liters with possibly the same boost. If that is true, this cobra should be able to do very well with just a few mods, or maybe even stock.

Users who are viewing this thread