newbie from Hawaii

tjys

Established Member
Checking in from the 808 state. I've got a GT500 and my wife drives a Shelby GTS. I've belonged to this site for quite some time but never got involved ... because there is nothing here but surf, sand, and sun! I would post pics of both cars but for some reason I'm not allowed.

Ponyracer1

Established Member
Welcome! How is the car scene in hawaii? Heard the roads are crap and the traffic blows. Do they have a drag strip or a time trials event? Might be my next station,

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
Which island? Oahu? Having both a GT-500 and a Shelby GTS in the family is sweet! Hope to see you more in the future here. :)

tjys

Established Member
Welcome! How is the car scene in hawaii? Heard the roads are crap and the traffic blows. Do they have a drag strip or a time trials event? Might be my next station,

Most roads will make you a great slalom racer driving around the holes! There used to be a drag strip here but I was told it was closed because of environmental concerns. I just laughed when I was told that. There seems to be a lot of rods around but the groups are hard to get into except Hawaii Performance Mustangs. HPM are mostly military guys just looking to get off base and show their cars.

My wife's Shelby GTS is the only on the island and the last one made (11GTS0034) in 2011. I took it to a car show one weekend and was told to get it off the main Ford lot. I didn't pay money to enter the show but it's the only one! Every show has basically the same cars competing against each other. HPM will get you into cruising around the island to show your car.

Schofield has a car show once a year but it's not very well advertised outside of Schofield. There are 100s of Mustang on Schofield though but I haven't noticed as many on Hickam or Pearl Harbor.

tjys

Established Member
Which island? Oahu? Having both a GT-500 and a Shelby GTS in the family is sweet! Hope to see you more in the future here. :)

We are on Oahu. It's a great place to drive around ... but be careful of where you stop. My wife and I decided to see what was in Wiainae one Saturday evening and was told when we stopped at a red light to put the top up on the GTS, roll the windows up, and leave. It appears they don't like whites driving around their fair city. When we mentioned this to our neighbors in Ewa Beach they looked at us like we were morons for driving into Wiainae!!!

The windward side of the island is much better and safer ... except a couple of areas claimed by "native" Hawaiians trying to get their ancestral land back.

10fore

Established Member
Aloha, bro! I miss being on Oahu so freaking much and cannot wait until I am able to make it back. Wiainae is definitely one of the sketchy places to visit. Thankfully I tan well and didn't catch too much garbage, but my wife sure did. There's better places to spend time anyway though.

How long have you lived in Hawaii?

tjys

Established Member
Aloha, bro! I miss being on Oahu so freaking much and cannot wait until I am able to make it back. Wiainae is definitely one of the sketchy places to visit. Thankfully I tan well and didn't catch too much garbage, but my wife sure did. There's better places to spend time anyway though.

How long have you lived in Hawaii?[/QUOTE

We got here Oct 2011. My wife is still in the Army so we will rotate out Oct this year.

I'm trying to convince her she needs a Procharger for her car. She's having none of it right now. But if we end up in the Virginia area there is a father and son team running their cyclones in the mid-12s with bolt ons. I think I may spend some time with them to learn. A couple of guys have figured out to get their Procharged guys into the low 11s which looks interesting to me too.

Users who are viewing this thread