*Newbie* Help with mods on stock Terminator

Finally-In

Established Member
I recently bought a 2003 10th anniversary with 20,000 on the clock. I would like to buy a few mods to tap into the cars true potential. The car only has a Steeda filter on the stock intake and straight pipes from the cats back. Everything else is showroom stock. Here are the mods I would like to initially get...

Upper pulley
Accessory pulley kit
Required shorter belt
Lowering springs
Short throw shifter
SXT tuner (unless it would be better to tow it to a tuner after installing the first three mods I listed? I'm not sure how this all works to be honest)

I'm open to opinions and suggestions on what brands as well as any additional info. I'm very green when it comes to all of this. Thanks!

P49Y-CY

fomocomofo
Established Member
def opt for a custom dyno tune from a reputable tuner. also you will probably need plugs to go with that smaller upper pulley. congrats and enjoy!

Bdubbs

u even lift bro?
Established Member
Premium Member
I'd consider subframe connectors and possibly a different diff cover. Stock ones are prone to crack. Custom tunes are good, but I'm even more impressed with my custom "street" tune. I guess that's what I'll call it lol. Data logging on the street and having the tuner look things over that way gives realistic data on how you drive and what the car is actually doing out in the environment. It drives better than it ever did before and the previous tunes were on a dyno.

I'm over the hp numbers game. I have no idea what mines making, lol.

Last edited:

Finally-In

Established Member
Ok so cooler plugs and subframe connectors.

Is an upgraded fuel system really required for an upper pulley mod?

Is there any need to buy a SCT tuner if I end up trailering the car to a tuner?

I don't care about numbers either. I just want to be able to jump in it and get on her every once in a while without having to worry about anything. I just figured the most traditional way to get tuned is on a dyno.

Any suggestions on where to buy these items is welcomed as well? I'm aware of a few online stores from going through the forums.

hotcobra03

Established Member
Wish there was a thread for horror stories...

Search melted piston ..

From mosty just reading..2.93 might be ok on stock fuel system

I would say yes to buying a tuner..you will need this for other changes that you can do yourself..
And use as a diagnostic tool

gmtech

Grease Monkey
Established Member
I ran a 2.7 upper, TR6 plugs, idlers, accufab TB/inlet, MAFia and custom tune from Lund. Only fuel upgrade needed was a BAP. Stock clutch didn't like the new power and would slip some from a dig.

Finally-In

Established Member
Ok so I will need a BAP? Will I need injectors as well?

I honestly thought this was going to be fairly simple to do but it seems like every mod requires a supporting mod.

When you guys installed the mods mentioned were you able to use a SCT with a canned or custom tune from Leathal or American Muscle or other store to get you to a tuner or did you have to trailer it?

Also I saw somewhere (my heads spinning trying to figure as much as I can) something about lifetime tunes with a SCT or some other tuner. Does anyone do that or is everyone using custom tunes? Will a tuner be able to hook into the cars OBD II and adjust everything or will need to buy something to allow him to do that?

Sorry for all the questions. I'm just trying to wrap my head around all of the info.

apex svt

MEAN STREAK
Established Member
Upper only car will only require what you have listed and a tune. No fuel mods are needed, Im on stock fuel system. For a custom dyno tune you will want to pick up an x3 almost every tuner uses Sct anymore. You can do a canned tune and it will run fine just not to its full potential, they are more conservative tunes.

P49Y-CY

fomocomofo
Established Member
i agree - 8 or 9 out of 10 cars will not need any fuel upgrades with an upper pulley only, even as small as a 2.76. but that is where the custom dyno tune from a reputable tuner would come in, if your car is too close to maxing out the maf sensor, or if any other supporting mods are needed, that's where it would be revealed. both my upper pulley cars are on the stock fuel system and stock maf.

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
If you're looking for a nice mid setup with no worries, consider this one. It was my favorite setup on my old '03 Cobra. No fuel system upgrades needed.
2.90 upper pulley (or 2.93), Metco preferred
4-piece idler kit (Metco double bearing)
Accufab throttle body/plenum
Custom tune
Steeda intake
Catted mid-pipe
Catback

This setup netted a very nice 457rwhp and 480rwtq (corrected).

Also, if you haven't already done so, check out my Terminator FAQs. They're a sticky here on SVTP as well. Worthwhile reading.

Last edited:

Noreast

Established Member
Get a mid pipe and You should get a cat back. You're probably loosing power with straight pipes.

ddschmitz

Young car noob
Established Member
If you're looking for a nice mid setup with no worries, consider this one. It was my favorite setup on my old '03 Cobra. No fuel system upgrades needed.
2.90 upper pulley (or 2.93), Metco preferred
4-piece idler kit (Metco double bearing)
Accufab throttle body/plenum
Custom tune
Steeda intake
Catted mid-pipe
Catback

This setup netted a very nice 457rwhp and 480rwtq (corrected).

Also, if you haven't already done so, check out my Terminator FAQs. They're a sticky here on SVTP as well. Worthwhile reading.

Replying to save this post. IDK if there is a way to do this =/

turbov6joe

Defensor Fortis
Established Member
Ok, to start off with, "power" is like drugs, sex, or whatever vice you can think of....once you have some, you want more and more. Saying "I want to stay at XXX hp" is not likely going to happen; you'll grow bored with the current power levels and want/need more. With that said, buying parts to support more power than your initial intentions is a more money wise way to go about modding your car..... for example, you can always grow into larger injectors and/or fuel pumps, and you'll have it when you need it....in most cases it's better to have more and not need it, then need it and not have it. When I got my first Cobra I purchased 60pph injectors, a BA2400 MAF, a KB BAP, and GT supercar pumps for my stage 4 ported Eaton. When I was on 91 octane I had all the fuel I needed....duty cycles were plenty safe with all kinds of room to grow. When I jumped over from a ported Eaton to a Whipple, I immediately maxed out the injectors and MAF. Then when I went over to e85, I needed more of about everything fuel related. With that said, your receiving solid advice on what to buy. Just do yourself a favor and error on the larger side when it comes to injectors, pumps, and MAF. You didn't mention a cams or blower swap which are about the parts I'd say stay conservative on. Any of the currently available blowers out there in the 2.3-2.9 litre range would serve you just fine, and make a HUGE improvement on power....my other Cobra made 697 RWHP on a gen II Whipple 2.3 and e85, and that wasn't even leaning on it too hard....all bolt-ons. Do your research when it comes to where you buy from, you'll definitely see that there is "Mustang" pricing, and then there is "Cobra" pricing. Always buy the high ticket items from an authorized distributer so you'll have full backing from the manufacturer if something has issues. Lastly, don't get bamboozled into claims that "this part is worth 75 hp over such and such"...in many cases it's nothing more than crafty marketing. Good luck and have fun....IMO these cars are in the top 5 cars that bring the most bang for the buck.

Last edited:

50enzo

Established Member
best thing to do is make a list of what you want out of the car and go from there. seems like everything for a "cobra" is expensive. do your homework, cuz alot of the info you need is here.it can be a lil monotonous finding the info and people can and will get short with you.but its better than buying parts you dont need. once you have a direction you want to go in, everything wil fall in place

Users who are viewing this thread