Newbie on the forum here, and I just ordered a 2013 Shelby GT500!

USV8PWR

Established Member
I'm sure there is an introduction section and I posted the below initially on the owner poll sticky above but I thought I'd introduce myself here since this is where I will spend most of my time. :)

I am 33 and a Fed Agent too (US Special Agent). I've had one Mustang (a 93) and my current work car is a 08 Mustang GT. It's great for surveillance!

Anyway, I was always a Corvette fanatic as that car was unattainable for me growing up. I purchased an almost new 08 Corvette Coupe in Jan. 08 and sold it a few weeks ago. I absolutely loved that car and it was everything I ever dreamed it would be. The plan last year was to snag a gently used ZR1 or save a little bit more and order a new one (I do not have kids!). Anyway the plan changed when I heard about the new Shelby coming out this spring.

See my father purchased a 67 Shelby GT500 in 1970 and then had to sell this beautiful machine in 1982, when I was very young, for peanuts after mom became pregnant with a 3rd child. He was an electrician and barely made enough at the time to make ends meet. My father sacrificed his car for his family and has never regretted that decision. He also has never had anything nice since, lives very modestly, and at the age of 62 still has to work full time PLUS overtime to pay his few bills and will probably never be able to retire. He is also my hero.

He doesn't know it yet, but I decided a few months ago to save my money and forgo the ZR1. I decided, with the urging of my beautiful Finace and my two sisters, that I am going to get our Shelby back! On Saturday I put down a deposit of $2500 for a very small dealership's sole allocation, doing very well on the deal to boot (got it for quite a bit under MSRP!). I ordered the car in the color he would want (deep impact blue and white stripes) with every single option as I want 0 regrets later on. Anyway, the plan is to surprise him when the car arrives and it will, I'm sure, be pretty emotional for both of us. Also, as a nice sincere touch, I am placing his name on the title along with mine. Here's to you Dad...and hopefully to also making some new friends on the forum! USV8PWR!...Mark :rockon:

Devious_Snake

PSR Major!
Established Member
Welcome man glad to have you! like I said in the other one, its great story...im super close to my dad too ( hes retired NYPD) and Im currently a local LEO in south florida! cant wait to see pics of your ride! be sure to scroll around, plenty of info here! :beer:

1320nut

Shelby Girl
Established Member
Welcome!! Very touching story!! I'm new here too and love it--so much helpful info and helpful people! I too ordered from a small dealership.

03Cobra05GT

Established Member
Awesome story man. Great to see people who actually care and respect their parents. What a way to show it! I'd love to be there to see his face when it arrives and he sees it for the 1st time.

Congrats!

LOL WUT

+65,000
Established Member
That is awesome! I'm sure you and your dad will enjoy the heck out of the new car. I'd love to see his reaction the first time he sees it. Props to you for getting something for you and your father.

bpmurr

Established Member
Nice story! I wish you all the best with the new car! :)

USV8PWR

Established Member
Thanks everyone, I appreciate the kind words and welcomes back! I cannot wait to see the expression on my 62 year old dad's when he sees and sits in it for the first time. :-D We'll both be like little kids. I have been lurking around here for several months gaining a lot of knowledge on the various options, ordering process, etc. This is a great forum.

Ninjak

Posting from The Shadow's
Established Member
Thats dam good of you :) You do your Father proud ! Regardless of rather you do this or not, but it just shows how he raised you. Congrats on the Shelby.

Resigned C.I.D. of 18 years btw :)

5.0 guy

Established Member
Great story! I myself became obsessed with cars at the high school age as my friends had new cars and I walked. The obsession never left me so my wife must suffer forever!!

speednutz

Established Member
I'm sure there is an introduction section and I posted the below initially on the owner poll sticky above but I thought I'd introduce myself here since this is where I will spend most of my time. :)

I am 33 and a Fed Agent too (US Special Agent). I've had one Mustang (a 93) and my current work car is a 08 Mustang GT. It's great for surveillance!

Anyway, I was always a Corvette fanatic as that car was unattainable for me growing up. I purchased an almost new 08 Corvette Coupe in Jan. 08 and sold it a few weeks ago. I absolutely loved that car and it was everything I ever dreamed it would be. The plan last year was to snag a gently used ZR1 or save a little bit more and order a new one (I do not have kids!). Anyway the plan changed when I heard about the new Shelby coming out this spring.

See my father purchased a 67 Shelby GT500 in 1970 and then had to sell this beautiful machine in 1982, when I was very young, for peanuts after mom became pregnant with a 3rd child. He was an electrician and barely made enough at the time to make ends meet. My father sacrificed his car for his family and has never regretted that decision. He also has never had anything nice since, lives very modestly, and at the age of 62 still has to work full time PLUS overtime to pay his few bills and will probably never be able to retire. He is also my hero.

He doesn't know it yet, but I decided a few months ago to save my money and forgo the ZR1. I decided, with the urging of my beautiful Finace and my two sisters, that I am going to get our Shelby back! On Saturday I put down a deposit of $2500 for a very small dealership's sole allocation, doing very well on the deal to boot (got it for quite a bit under MSRP!). I ordered the car in the color he would want (deep impact blue and white stripes) with every single option as I want 0 regrets later on. Anyway, the plan is to surprise him when the car arrives and it will, I'm sure, be pretty emotional for both of us. Also, as a nice sincere touch, I am placing his name on the title along with mine. Here's to you Dad...and hopefully to also making some new friends on the forum! USV8PWR!...Mark :rockon:

Thanks everyone, I appreciate the kind words and welcomes back! I cannot wait to see the expression on my 62 year old dad's when he sees and sits in it for the first time. :-D We'll both be like little kids. I have been lurking around here for several months gaining a lot of knowledge on the various options, ordering process, etc. This is a great forum.

Hi From WI !

Great Story too by the way !

OK, so you been "Lurking" for several months?

So you in a sense have been doing surveillance on us !?!?!!?! LOL

You and Pa should luv that new Ride, it is an awesome Machine !

USV8PWR

Established Member
Thats dam good of you :) You do your Father proud ! Regardless of rather you do this or not, but it just shows how he raised you. Congrats on the Shelby.

Resigned C.I.D. of 18 years btw :)

I'm C.I.D too NinJak. Well one of the C.I.D's anyway! lol

reason4treason

Established Member
welcome! always room for 1 more and always good to hear families' connections with their cars. heritage and roots are valuable things, for sure.

sooooooooooo....is a striped one tougher to be incognito in? is it really more likely to fetch tickets? any insight?

Bonefish

FKNGFST
Established Member
Wow dude....that is a great story and move on your part! I'd love to be there when you pick up the car and show it to him. That's going to be quite a day! Post up pics when it happens.....

Love that DIB!

USV8PWR

Established Member
Hi From WI !

Great Story too by the way !

OK, so you been "Lurking" for several months?

So you in a sense have been doing surveillance on us !?!?!!?! LOL

You and Pa should luv that new Ride, it is an awesome Machine !

Haha! I guess you could say I had been doing some surveillance on the site the past few months. There is a TON of great information on this board and I am grateful to many of you who have been diligently posting your secrets and knowledge. As I said, I bought mine under MSRP just 6 days ago, so the deals and the allocations are out there if you are willing to look!

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread