NHRA scattershield

MVD

Established Member
I believe McLeod is the only company that currently makes one to fit the T-56. Options open up if you swap to C4, TH400, 4R70W wtc.

64T-bolt

Fist Fornicator
Established Member
I know quick time makes a nice one. . .i guess im more asking are people just mostly running stock ones? i know scores of sub 11.49 t56 cobras but im not finding any SFI bellhousing experiences to get data on. . . ? do tracks not really check this?

BADASS03SVT

Established Member
I know quick time makes a nice one. . .i guess im more asking are people just mostly running stock ones? i know scores of sub 11.49 t56 cobras but im not finding any SFI bellhousing experiences to get data on. . . ? do tracks not really check this?

depends on your track. they should imo. I had the McLoud one and it fit just fine back a few years ago.

plus I like my legs...

MVD

Established Member

You are right, oeople that race do a lot of stupid $hit. The safety rules are there for a reason, to protect the driver.

I imagine if people saw the results of a clutch or flywheel coming apart at 6,000+ rpms they might change their minds......especially if it happened to them and their foot got detached from their leg. But in the end the almighty dollar matters most, so for people to drop $400 on safety over something that will give them a few extra ponies, a great majority will opt for the extra power.

SlowSVT

Established Member
During the five years I have been on this site I have yet to hear of one clutch explosion. There are 20,000 of these things running around. The stock redline is 6500 rpm's and I am sure Ford has tested them at much higher rpm's to keep their liability exposure to a minimum plus the car has a rev limiter. Generally heat is what destroys a clutch more so then rpm's. A friend of mine runs Bonniville and showed me a granaded flywheel and you can clearly see all the heat discoloration it was exposed to prior to letting go.

I'm curious if anyone actually has heard of a Terminator clutch self destructing?

Not needed IMO

MVD

Established Member
During the five years I have been on this site I have yet to hear of one clutch explosion. There are 20,000 of these things running around. The stock redline is 6500 rpm's and I am sure Ford has tested them at much higher rpm's to keep their liability exposure to a minimum plus the car has a rev limiter. Generally heat is what destroys a clutch more so then rpm's. A friend of mine runs Bonniville and showed me a granaded flywheel and you can clearly see all the heat discoloration it was exposed to prior to letting go.

I'm curious if anyone actually has heard of a Terminator clutch self destructing?

Not needed IMO

You are obviously missing the point of safety. You do not wear a seatbelt because you know you are going to be in an accident the next time you drive, you wear one so that if something does happen, you have taklen the measures to protect yourself.

I will gladly spend the dough for a SFI bellhousing to keep my feet attached to my legs in case something crazy happens and the clutch or flywheel lets go when trying to launch a heavy car.

BWH2003

Established Member
Im with him though out of all the millions of cars running on the track with a manual when was the last time you ever heard of a clutch letting go. It doesn't seem to happen very often. Im not saying its not a good idea to be safe but the clutch exploding is really a non issue in my mind.

SlowSVT

Established Member
You are obviously missing the point of safety. You do not wear a seatbelt because you know you are going to be in an accident the next time you drive, you wear one so that if something does happen, you have taklen the measures to protect yourself.

I will gladly spend the dough for a SFI bellhousing to keep my feet attached to my legs in case something crazy happens and the clutch or flywheel lets go when trying to launch a heavy car.

If you are concerned that much about your safety you would be better off leaving your Cobra parked in the garage because you're 10,000 times more likely to kill yourself driving it then suffering from a clutch explosion. Then again it's your money do with it what you feel is best.

I'm just trying to put things in perspective :beer:

BADASS03SVT

Established Member

Not needed IMO

youll be the guy that loses his legs and is banned from the track far saying you had the safety equip to go 11.49 or faster.

it happens...the pieces go right through the oem housing...right through the floor and right through your legs.

hell...why wear a hemet...or have a cage...thats dumb too!

BADASS03SVT

Established Member
Im with him though out of all the millions of cars running on the track with a manual when was the last time you ever heard of a clutch letting go. It doesn't seem to happen very often. Im not saying its not a good idea to be safe but the clutch exploding is really a non issue in my mind.

and your running a 3.4 whipple @ 25 psi...lol....

you guys are getting the safey equipment for you and the guy in the other lane. Im counting on you and the tech's to keep ME safe. Dont go to the track if your not.

go on youtube and look it up...it happens

"Dodge ram srt10 exploded clutch" comes to mind

64T-bolt

Fist Fornicator
Established Member
If you are concerned that much about your safety you would be better off leaving your Cobra parked in the garage because you're 10,000 times more likely to kill yourself driving it then suffering from a clutch explosion. Then again it's your money do with it what you feel is best.

I'm just trying to put things in perspective :beer:

Its not that i want to spend the money, its the fact that it is an NHRA REQUIRMENT if your stuff is faster than 11.49. . .

EvilTwins

I can't find my pulley!
Established Member
Wow some people are just crazy.. Just imagine losing a foot or leg or whatever just because you wanted to save a few bucks... Talk about living with regret..

Last edited:

MVD

Established Member
but the clutch exploding is really a non issue in my mind.

Man, some of you guys have a screwed up sense of reality. You probably have over $10,000 into your car mods from the stuff in your signature, and yet you wouldn't take the extra precuation to buy an SFI bell.

It only takes one little srew up and your feet are gone..........forever.

BWH2003

Established Member
All it takes is one hard wreck into a tree and im paralyzed for life. Shit happens. If your that concerned about safety park your car. I dont drive around town all the time with a helmet on just in case I hit a tree or another car.

I just dont see it as a huge issue. It seems to be relatively rare that a clutch explodes. Im not turning the motor any higher than stock and I would hope that if a clutch manufacturer designs a clutch for 1000 rwhp it would be able to handle it at under stock rpm without exploding. Also if clutches exploding were such a big issue I would think that ford would have a sfi bellhousing in there from the beginning. Cars are getting faster with more power and they still are not using sfi housings.

BADASS03SVT

Established Member
All it takes is one hard wreck into a tree and im paralyzed for life. Shit happens. If your that concerned about safety park your car. I dont drive around town all the time with a helmet on just in case I hit a tree or another car.

I just dont see it as a huge issue. It seems to be relatively rare that a clutch explodes. Im not turning the motor any higher than stock and I would hope that if a clutch manufacturer designs a clutch for 1000 rwhp it would be able to handle it at under stock rpm without exploding. Also if clutches exploding were such a big issue I would think that ford would have a sfi bellhousing in there from the beginning. Cars are getting faster with more power and they still are not using sfi housings.

jesus....Im just not going to even respond to that.....do you run the car at the track???? if you do any you know how to drive...ITS REQUIRED...PERIOD. thats what this thread is about so start your own about how dumb safety is somewhere else.

Last edited:

EvilTwins

I can't find my pulley!
Established Member

lol dude you really need to be educated....

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread