Nikon 50mm f1/8d Pictures (R8 and Roush Content)

KaNolton

Rio Red Slowbra...yezzur
Established Member
Well i just picked up my brand new Nikon Nikkor 50mm f1/8d lens yesterday. Have hardly had the lens 24 hours and I've already snapped off about 500 pictures.

Overall impression on the lens....I love it. I do have one gripe. It is impossible to get the whole car in a shot, with the aperature set at 1.8 AND get the whole car in focus. In order to get the shallow depth of field that I really want, I can't get the whole car in the frame. But, it does shoot some great portrait and marco shots!

Anyways, on to the pictures.

DSC_0166-edited2.jpg

DSC_0163-edited_picnik.jpg

DSC_0161-edited.jpg

DSC_0140-edited.jpg

(Edit: I was not drinkin' that pink thing)

DSC_0137-edited.jpg

DSC_0104-edited.jpg

DSC_0039-edited.jpg

DSC_0187-edited.jpg

DSC_0070-edited.jpg

DSC_0060-edited.jpg

DSC_0010-edited-lowsat.jpg

DSC_0084-edited.jpg

DSC_0166-edited.jpg

divided

Established Member
I have the Canon equivalent of that lens and love it. As far as getting a shallow DOF with the whole car in focus the key there is to have your background farther away from the car than the car is from your camera. So if you are standing 15ft from your car, your background needs to be at least that far preferably farther from your car. It's harder with this lens but possible if you have enough room.

KaNolton

Rio Red Slowbra...yezzur
Established Member
awesome pics...

thats how my nikon lens is..awesome quality pics though for sure.

When I look through the view finder to focus, it is in perfect focus, however, after i snap the shutter and review the picture its no where close to being in focus. I think the focal length isn't large enough at f1/8 to get the whole car in the frame since I have to stand back so far.

It's a learning curve, like I said, I've only had the lens for about 24 hours haha. Overall I love the lens!

KaNolton

Rio Red Slowbra...yezzur
Established Member
Those are some great shots, I love my Canon f/1.8. I had trouble shooting with the aperture set at 1.8 too.

Here are some pics I shot awhile back and post #35 tells you what my settings were.
http://www.svtperformance.com/forums/pics-videos-buffet-149/688483-new-pics-99-cobra-dslr.html

Thanks man! I'm gonna go out again tomorrow to play with everything. It shoots great in auto, which will be great for parties and such with low-light. I usually shoot in aperature priority mode but tomorrow I'm going to shoot in full manual tomorrow.

Thanks for the advice!

KaNolton

Rio Red Slowbra...yezzur
Established Member
Those are some great shots, I love my Canon f/1.8. I had trouble shooting with the aperture set at 1.8 too.

Here are some pics I shot awhile back and post #35 tells you what my settings were.
http://www.svtperformance.com/forums/pics-videos-buffet-149/688483-new-pics-99-cobra-dslr.html

awesome pics...

thats how my nikon lens is..awesome quality pics though for sure.

I figured out the problem. It happened to be my circular polarizing lens. For some reason I think the filter was confusing the camera.

These two pictures were taking using the exact same settings, the only difference, I took the filter off for the second picture. And viola!

I was starting to get worried I wasn't going to be able to shoot an entire car with this lens.

DSC_0096.jpg

DSC_0110.jpg

It looks like I just had the camera focused on the background instead of the foreground just by looking at the pictures, but looking through the viewfinder the foreground was in focus in both pictures.

I appreciate the insight boys!

Users who are viewing this thread