Nitto 555R or Mickey Thompson ET Street?

Which Tires?

• Nitto 555R 315/40/17

Votes: 89 36.0%
  • Mickey Thompson ET Street 275/40/17

Votes: 158 64.0%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Oh Three Cobra

Established Member
I want to do an event on Nov 13th. I plan on putting these on the stock wheels and then switching them for street tires after the race. The widest the ET streets come is a 275. With the Nittos I can get a 315. The Nittos look like they would last alot longer as they have a 6/32 tread depth vs the 2/32 of the Mickey Thompsons. Price is within a few $ so its negligable. I plan to launch the car semi-hard, but I don't want to snap an axle. What do you guys think?

TTA89

Established Member
Two totally different tires. The Nittos are a sticky street tire, the ETs are a track tire that you can drive on the street if you have too but they suck.

If you have street tires and are just going to switch these for the track I would order a set of MT Drag Radials. They drive excellent on the street so you can swap them at home and hook great at the track.

I run 315 Nittos as my street tire and use the MTs for the track. Ever since I bolted on the MTs, they drive so nice I haven't taken them off!

03InThe11s

i meant 10s :)
Established Member
mickey thompsons. btw, nitto's tend to run small. my BFG 275/40/17's were wider than a buddies nitto 315/35/17 555r

postban

...rollin on 20's
Established Member
Oh Three Cobra said:
I ordered the ET Streets Today.

Good move.

Nittos for DD, they will last and hook some on the street.
M/T for racing. They are terrible DD tires, will wear super fast, and handle wobbly but are great for the track.

Oh Three Cobra

Established Member
Now I just need an extra pair of wheels so I don''t have to unmount my street tires and mount the drag radials every time I go race.

03cobrarocks

Established Member
postban said:
Good move.

Nittos for DD, they will last and hook some on the street.
M/T for racing. They are terrible DD tires, will wear super fast, and handle wobbly but are great for the track.

yea I made the mistake of getting the m/ts for daily driving :mj:

I use to have 275 nittos out back and wish I would have just got them agian but no I didnt think a tire could hook awesome at the track but horrible on the street... guess I learned that lesson the expensive way

blackvenom77

killer cobra
Established Member
03cobrarocks said:
yea I made the mistake of getting the m/ts for daily driving :mj:

I use to have 275 nittos out back and wish I would have just got them agian but no I didnt think a tire could hook awesome at the track but horrible on the street... guess I learned that lesson the expensive way
Try BFG's next you won't be sorry!! Best of both worlds. ;-)

SpectorV

Established Member
also remember... you will pick rocks up and all kinds of crap that will eat up your rear bumper... just FYI with sticky tires

rACeRs

Established Member
My MT drag radials (275/50/15) work better than my bfg drags (315/35/17) on and off the track.

PA SNAKE

Established Member
I too am looking for good "street tires"... I have the factory 17" 5 spoke chrome rims. I'm NOT sure of the width. I currently have 275/40/17's Eagles F1's all the way around.

I was looking at 2 Nitto's for the rear however I'm not sure how wide I can go on factory rims..??? Thoughts..??

Thanks

rACeRs

Established Member
PA SNAKE said:
I too am looking for good "street tires"... I have the factory 17" 5 spoke chrome rims. I'm NOT sure of the width. I currently have 275/40/17's Eagles F1's all the way around.

I was looking at 2 Nitto's for the rear however I'm not sure how wide I can go on factory rims..??? Thoughts..??

Thanks

If you want to go with the nitto's you will want the 315/35/17's. They work great on the stock 17x9 wheels.

forcefedcobra

Established Member
I have run 555r's on the street for years. they work well in the rain (that is if you arent an idiot) but with my new wheels (satin SSR GT3's) I am going to just run street tires and get a second set of wheels to mount up some MT ET streets for the track.

707svt

Venom Feeder
Established Member
Two totally different tires. The Nittos are a sticky street tire, the ETs are a track tire that you can drive on the street if you have too but they suck.

If you have street tires and are just going to switch these for the track I would order a set of MT Drag Radials. They drive excellent on the street so you can swap them at home and hook great at the track.

I run 315 Nittos as my street tire and use the MTs for the track. Ever since I bolted on the MTs, they drive so nice I haven't taken them off!

M/T ET Drag Street are just as good for the street but the M/T ET Drag are not, two diff tiers. These are wider then BF & Nitto look better to IMO.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread