Nitto 555R or Mickey Thompson ET Street?

Which Tires?

• Nitto 555R 315/40/17

Votes: 89 36.0%
  • Mickey Thompson ET Street 275/40/17

Votes: 158 64.0%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Jack Burton

Established Member
I'm currently running michelin pilot sports on my 18x10.5 ssr gt3's. I wonder if I could fit the nitto 335/18's on there. Anybody try this? I know the nittos are supposed to be on the small side.

forcefedcobra

Established Member
The nittos will run slightly wider on the rim than the michelins. Just get the MM button head bolt and they will work fine. Roll the fenders if you have the rear slammed or put an MM spring isolater to keep them from rubbing on large bumps at speed

Jack Burton

Established Member
The nittos will run slightly wider on the rim than the michelins. Just get the MM button head bolt and they will work fine. Roll the fenders if you have the rear slammed or put an MM spring isolater to keep them from rubbing on large bumps at speed

Thanks for the info man! I was thinking of doing the MM iso's

WizardsCobra

LTHL SVT
Established Member
I love my Nitto's but I DD my car a good bit. I would be scared for my life to get caught in any rain with the MT.

lilb_svt

Established Member
I run nittos 315's on my stock rims, they grab nicely on the street but they suck azz on the track.
i vote mt's for the track.
nittos for the street.

mmustangsrus

boost makes daddy happy
Established Member
mickey thompsons. btw, nitto's tend to run small. my BFG 275/40/17's were wider than a buddies nitto 315/35/17 555r
true the nitto dr`s are smaller cause i had 315 nittos dr`s on my 97 when i got it & i replaced them with the same size 555 street tires are so wide i had to beat on the car & exhuast so it would not rub on my right side

evil04svtcobra

Established Member
nitto's are the sh!t for the street and the looks, work great, i have them on my stock rims, i went threw 3 sets of mickey thompson street e/t's last summer. each set only lasted two weeks. one set only lasted 2 days. they just get too hot and make too much friction on the shit they pave the street with. great for the track but i think most peole want a street tire. i would agree with saying they are totaly different tires for differences, you almost cant compaire the two. not too mention once the e/t's get hot everything you run over sticks to them. and then kicks back up onto your bumper.

dino lord

itching to build...
Established Member
Two totally different tires. The Nittos are a sticky street tire, the ETs are a track tire that you can drive on the street if you have too but they suck.

If you have street tires and are just going to switch these for the track I would order a set of MT Drag Radials. They drive excellent on the street so you can swap them at home and hook great at the track.

I run 315 Nittos as my street tire and use the MTs for the track. Ever since I bolted on the MTs, they drive so nice I haven't taken them off!
what he said.

MT ET Street Radials FTW!

phillySVT

Bang Bang
Established Member
I have had NItto, BFG's, and MT drag radials. The Nitto were by far the worst tire. I had absolutley no grip with a sub 500hp ported eaton car. I like the BFG's and the MT with the MT's having an edge on the BFG's.

LT1Killa

Established Member
You'll hear a lot of people saying "the Nittos last so long blah blah blah" but IMO a drag radial that doesn't hook worth a crap is worthless!!! The set of Nittos I had were absolutely terrrible without a burnout to heat them up first which means you'll lose some stoplight races you really shouldn't due to sub par traction. :(

I have Mickey Thompsons on my car and have had them for about a month now and love them! THEY HOOK LIKE A MOFO!! I'm never lookin back.

evil04svtcobra

Established Member
i dont know if it was just the pavment i was always on. but when i had the mickey thompsons i wouldn't even do a burn out with a set, or dump the clutch. and they would only last a week or less. others say they are awesome.... i would say they are not a street tire. they are for the track only.... but just from my experience

bubbrubb

nitto's are the sh!t for the street and the looks, work great, i have them on my stock rims, i went threw 3 sets of mickey thompson street e/t's last summer. each set only lasted two weeks. one set only lasted 2 days. they just get too hot and make too much friction on the shit they pave the street with. great for the track but i think most peole want a street tire. i would agree with saying they are totaly different tires for differences, you almost cant compaire the two. not too mention once the e/t's get hot everything you run over sticks to them. and then kicks back up onto your bumper.

i dont know if it was just the pavment i was always on. but when i had the mickey thompsons i wouldn't even do a burn out with a set, or dump the clutch. and they would only last a week or less. others say they are awesome.... i would say they are not a street tire. they are for the track only.... but just from my experience
WTF?? is this normal??

I was looking at buying a set of ET Streets for my stock rims, but its an 85 mile round trip to get to the track & back. How much do you drive for them to eat them up that fast?! I don't want to take my wheels off at the track, so that isn't an option, and I'd rather not tow the car because its a fun cruise with some friends on the way to the track - and my truck is pretty underpowered and I don't want to deal with that, especially in traffic.

LT1Killa

Established Member
If you are only getting about a week out of a brand new set of Mickeys, something is wrong. Either you drive a 5,000 miles a week or you have a KB or Whipple and a heavy right foot.

beerMuscles03

Established Member
WTF?? is this normal??

I was looking at buying a set of ET Streets for my stock rims, but its an 85 mile round trip to get to the track & back. How much do you drive for them to eat them up that fast?! I don't want to take my wheels off at the track, so that isn't an option, and I'd rather not tow the car because its a fun cruise with some friends on the way to the track - and my truck is pretty underpowered and I don't want to deal with that, especially in traffic.

Yeah would you guys suggest mounting the MT's at the track if you have a long ride to get there?

MisterChrome

Established Member
do any of you guys have pics with the 315 NT555R on stock wheels? I am thinkin of getting some for my factory 17x9 but worry that they may bulge too much from the rim. also, would I need to do any mods to fit the tire in the car(shaved irs bolt, rolled fenders) since I know that nitto runs skinny. Also, does anyone know the width of these tires on factory wheels?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread