Nitto tire/ Stock rim Question

Pock

It’s an addiction
Established Member
I'm thinking aboout running some Nitto NT-05's on my stock rims. I have read about the contact patch being less than ideal using a 315 with a stock rim... My question is will a 275 have as big as a contact pach as a 315 or will I still gain a little with a 315?

Jroc

Established Member
You need to take into account that 555R's run smaller than other Nitto's labeled the same sizes.

I wouldn't try to run any other 315 on a 9" wheel other than 315 555R's

COBRA_ESQ

Established Member
I played it conservative with Nitto 285's on the rear and they fit with no problem.

Are there any rubbing issues with front stock rims and Nitto larger than 275'S. I am due

Brutal Metal

Established Member
the width of my 99 rims is only 8 inches and I'm currently running 275/40/17 Nittos but their too wide the next set will be 255/45/17.
Pock I'd use a 275, it's plenty wide, on the rim you'll have a 10 inch contact patch!

Last edited:

Jroc

Established Member
Yeah they might fit but the rim won't like em!!

They work fine if you run a 555R as it is small running even by Nitto standards. If you are wanting to get a 555R thats about the same size as a stock 275 Good Year Eagle F1 GS I would look at a 285.

I have them on my car right know. Getting new tires mounted on my 18's tomorrow. :pepper:

JB

beautiful loser
Established Member
NT-05's are wider than 555R drag radials and obviously have much stiffer sidewalls, so they'd be a bitch to get on the rims.

I'd advise against it.

Even though I ran 315 555R's on stock wheels for a few years, I no longer do it because it's detrimental to good handling. There's just too much rolling over of sidewall during lateral loading

Last edited:

bitemark

Established Member
So for my understanding as well, if we want to run 315's on the stock 9" wheel, the ONLY recommended tire is the nito 555r? Not the new nt-05?

Brutal Metal

Established Member
NT-05's are wider than 555R drag radials and obviously have much stiffer sidewalls, so they'd be a bitch to get on the rims.

I'd advise against it.

Even though I ran 315 555R's on stock wheels for a few years, I no longer do it because it's detrimental to good handling. There's just too much rolling over of sidewall during lateral loading

TOTALLY JB, couldn't have said it better myself, lateral handling sucks with the sidewalls bowed out!! You can really feel it too!! I thought for awhile that I had something loose in the IRS..

Jroc

Established Member
My Nitto's my feel looser, and not as composed in a turn, but I guareentee you they'll make it though a slow, tight one faster than my Falkens Azenis as they'll don't let go nearly as easy, and will let you exit under alot more power because they are a stickier tire.

The cars handling doesn't go to shit with that combo IMO even though you can tell that its has a tall soft sidewall. It feels looser, but it actually holds pretty good.

Hell its might be benefitial to your halfshalves even.

STR8JAKT

Tis but a Scratch
Established Member
They work fine if you run a 555R as it is small running even by Nitto standards. If you are wanting to get a 555R thats about the same size as a stock 275 Good Year Eagle F1 GS I would look at a 285.

I have them on my car right know. Getting new tires mounted on my 18's tomorrow. :pepper:

So are you saying that a 555r or nitto dr in the rear would be better to go with a 285/40 or 285/35 on the stock rim?

Jroc

Established Member
So are you saying that a 555r or nitto dr in the rear would be better to go with a 285/40 or 285/35 on the stock rim?

What I'm saying is that its a popular old combo that works well that many people with no experiance running it like to hate on. Hell a non 555R 335 will bulge pretty good on a 10 or 10.5" wheel. Even my 315 PZero's have noticable bulge on my 10.5's.

Another thing I have always noticed I got out of running big tires for the wheel width is longer life out of them by a lot, and they seem to wear better across the tire. :shrug:

Pock

It’s an addiction
Established Member
Ok, back on track here... The Nitto NT05 on stock rims... 275 or 315? Reading through the replies it looks as though people as saying both??? DTD only has 275 or 315 not the 285 mentioned above?

mu22stang

[_==[_=_][_=_3[_=_< /_=_\
Established Member
275's.

It's pointless to run more tire than your wheel can handle. You compromise handling, gains in contact patch are debatable, and it looks stupid. If you want bigger tires, get bigger wheels.

Tacky03

Established Member
I have 315 NTO5's on my stock 10th anniversary wheels. It took the guys at the tire shop almost an hour to get them mounted. I also got 3/4 inch spacers just to be safe from rubbing since I don't have the flat IRS bolts. I personally like the way they look, but be prepared for the pain the rear install. I would post pics but my car is not in country yet.

Users who are viewing this thread