NKG TR6's: Who's satisfied, who's not?

NGK TR6?

• Get them

Votes: 539 75.6%
  • Stay stock

Votes: 74 10.4%
  • Get other plugs (in the same price range)

Votes: 100 14.0%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

EvanStang

the "Hit Man"
Established Member
03BlackMamba said:
I installed Tr-6's when I had my '03 in the shop for installation of the UPR Cold Air Kit. I asked that they gap them @ .040. Guess what...they automatically gap'd them @ .035 because that is what they usually set them at. On the drive home I immediately noticed some additional rumble and popping when slowing under compression.....(I have total Bassani exhaust & X w/cats). I did not have that happening before I installed the new plugs. Since I had the Cold air kit and plugs both installed at the same time I was not sure if the plugs were the culprit? Since then I have noticed when I start the '03 cold the throttle is hesitating and/or loading up. This doesn't happen when the engine is warmed up. I assume the plugs are my problem? What comments do you have? I have not changed the pulley so maybe I should go back to the original plugs?

Is the UPR CAI an fender mount? If so... Get rid of it, you shouldn't have any bends in front fo the MAF, the disruption of air flow through the bend.. messing up the MAF.:rolling:

jvert

Established Member
I just bought and changed my plugs. I went with NGK's and so far so good. I feel my car runs a lot better than the stock plugs it had before. I guess its trial and error to find what works well.

TEABG

Banned
jvert said:
I just bought and changed my plugs. I went with NGK's and so far so good. I feel my car runs a lot better than the stock plugs it had before. I guess its trial and error to find what works well.

NGK IX ??? IF SO :rockon: :beer:

CPViolation

Car Crazy
Established Member
TEABG said:
NGK IX ??? IF SO :rockon: :beer:
The NGK IX stopped the 'lil bit of detonation I was having. The re-gapped stock plugs also caused it to fall on it's face @5000 RPM. Now it sings all the way up to redline.
Jeff

03dsgcobranc

Fujiwara zone
Established Member
i love my denso IT22's, i had NGK TR6's before and as soon as i put in the Denso's i noticed better response, power, and a big difference in idle quality. In my opinion they are definitely worth the price. Got them at RWTD.com If you got any questions just call or email them they were a great help in my plug selection

Last edited:

redfr03svtsnake

Import Killer since 03'
Established Member
Ok. Here are some questions that i have always had and really wanted just some definitions. First- What is detonation, what does it do, what does it sound like, and how can you stop it. Second- What does a fouled plug look like, what causes it, and MAINLY, can a fouled plug just be cleaned off and fixed or is it permenantly fouled. Thirdly- i have a set of the Tr6 and the tr 7ix= they both have survived a FRPS blowout- will they be ok to use after being scrubbed off and cleaned out with some carb cleaner? Please answer these questions so i can understand a lil more the spark plug phenomena.
Oh and just for my .02- the TR6 i have on the car currently.... they do seem to have a small miss at idle, like that guy in the beginning was saying, alomst a lope- and i never had that with the iridiums. New parts, running rich, who knows. Thanks for this post too.

TheFleshRocket

Likes to drive sideways.
Established Member
I'm pretty sure a spark plug only "goes bad" due to wear or physical damage. I've been told that you can just clean off spark plugs and reuse them if they are otherwise in good condition. That was regarding motorcycle spark plugs, so I don't know how well that translates to the Terminator.

My opinion--if you already have a set of plugs that got fouled, clean them off gently with a wire brush and try them out in the car. If it idles and runs well, then no harm, no foul. But if you experience drivability issues after reinstalling the cleaned plugs, then take them out and toss them in the trash.

And don't go balls to the wall from the first mile after installing a set of cleaned plugs. Work into the boost slowly after some miles of driving around. That way any drivability issues will have a chance to show themselves at part throttle before you go running the car WOT to redline and risking breaking something.

Steeda30

Clearance Clarence
Established Member
I absolutely cannot stand the driveability of copper plugs. They're just terrible compared to an iridium - rough and sluggish tip-in throttle response.

If you're running copper plugs, I highly reccomend trying iridium's at least once, I bet you won't switch back to copper.

The NGK iridiums are made of stronger porcelain than the Denso, less susceptable to coming apart if any detonation occurs - I had my Denso IT-22's break apart one night due to some freak detonation and basically trashed the engine - although it continued to run ok for several more months, burning a bit of oil in #7. Extremely high IAT2's during a few pulls one night finished off what the porcelain had done to the ring on #7.
One of the 4 busted Denso's.
Plug62.jpg

Piston7.jpg

Last edited:

TheFleshRocket

Likes to drive sideways.
Established Member
I've got a set of NGK TR6s currently in my Cobra, and the TR7IXs I ordered should be here hopefully in time for the weekend. I have a bit of an idle misfire which is really annoying me. I have high hopes that the iridium plugs will quell that.

I will post my impressions once the swap is done. I plan to gap the TR7IXs at .35.

Steeda30

Clearance Clarence
Established Member
TheFleshRocket said:
I will post my impressions once the swap is done. I plan to gap the TR7IXs at .35.
Can't wait to hear the results, you'll be amazed at the difference, heh.

Mine are .035 as well, at ~15 PSI with no spark blowout.

redfr03svtsnake

Import Killer since 03'
Established Member
The problem i did have though was the spark was seeming to blow out around .35. Im not really sure. I am going to clean my set of ngk iridium 7ixs tomorrow and see if i can get a lil better idle and maybe more power

SIr RicCuS

Orange County Horsepower
Established Member
To tell you guys the truth, I've got the NGK TR6's, but I haven't installed them due to the controversy of whether or not they're good for the Cobra. Anyone help me out here?

TheFleshRocket

Likes to drive sideways.
Established Member
SIr RicCuS said:
To tell you guys the truth, I've got the NGK TR6's, but I haven't installed them due to the controversy of whether or not they're good for the Cobra. Anyone help me out here?

I can't comment yet since I haven't installed my TR7IXs but my gut says to go with iridium plugs. My TR6s have been fine for everything except the miss at idle, assuming the plugs are responsible for the miss. I don't mind a lopey idle if it's from a big cam (like on my '89 GT) but a misfire does bother me.

I will be changing out the plugs hopefully tomorrow and should have some driving impressions afterward.

Last edited:

redfr03svtsnake

Import Killer since 03'
Established Member
anyone else have some good solid definitions of what detonation looks like on a plug, what it sounds like? What should a good running car's plugs look like. I pulled the plugs the other day and they were a little black around the threads, had a somewhat yellow film on the elbow. What DEFINES bad plugs, if they have some carbon on the threads is that normal? Any advice or help?

Last edited:

03 svtvenom

Repent!!!
Established Member
Steeda30 said:
I absolutely cannot stand the driveability of copper plugs. They're just terrible compared to an iridium - rough and sluggish tip-in throttle response.

If you're running copper plugs, I highly reccomend trying iridium's at least once, I bet you won't switch back to copper.

I agree 100%! I love my TR7IX's!

TheFleshRocket

Likes to drive sideways.
Established Member
I got my TR7IXs installed this weekend. 17 lb-ft of torque (plus a tiny bit more) with no anti-seize. Also, according to my $0.99 Autozone spark plug gap tool, they were gapped to around .0365 - .037. Given that the tool ain't what I'd consider super accurate, I figure the plugs were actually factory gapped to .035 and that my gauge was reading them wrong so I just popped them in without making any adjustments.

Idle is a little smoother. After idling for a couple minutes, the engine will still occasionally shake or shudder a little like there is a misfire, but it is less pronounced than with the TR6s. I haven't had a chance to do any serious acceleration as it's cold (no traction) and so far I have just driven around town ("serious acceleration" in town would be a bit irresponsible and dangerous to my license) so I can't comment on drivability under those conditions.

Other than the improvement in idle, I haven't really noticed much difference. The TR6s weren't really giving me any trouble in the first place besides the idle. And I'm not completely conviced that the idle is the fault of the plugs. I remember reading somehwere on the forum that after the car idles for two minutes, it goes into a "low emissions" mode that probably leans the idle out a bit more. I figure that's probably what's causing it, because I don't notice the "misfire" if I'm just stopped at a light for a minute or less. Anyone else have any opinions?

Redlines

Established Member
time for me to chime in, had IT22 Denso's in the car for a year, absolutely no problems, very smooth idle, throttle tiping and under boost. Had one or two go bad on a recent dyno run. We replaced them for the time being with some Autolite 103 plugs that were sitting around as back up plugs, car seemed to run ok for short time and now runs poorly with those for sure, rough idle, frequently will miss and and stumble in 2nd gear. Just orded some TR7IX (and some regular TR6 plugs as a back up), cant wait to put those in and get a smooth idle and part throttle back.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread