NKG TR6's: Who's satisfied, who's not?

NGK TR6?

• Get them

Votes: 539 75.6%
  • Stay stock

Votes: 74 10.4%
  • Get other plugs (in the same price range)

Votes: 100 14.0%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

kerls03

Established Member
Dont waste your money the tips get to hot at high rpms if you are running big boost.
denzo 24 all the way gets rid of the higher rpm pop

DSG2003

Established Member
Took me about 45 minutes to put them in. Gapped at .032 no hesitation and runs smooth. Great plugs.

03 VENOM

Established Member
WDW MKR said:
No a TR6 is a TR6. A similar heat range and plug style will be a different number if it is for a different application. All NGK TR6 plugs are #4177. The TR7ix might be a little cold for a stock-boost application, but I don't know if it will be enough to foul out.

My tuner installed my plugs and I just checked them........................I got the NGK TR6 V-Power!Are these the same plugs you guys are using?Are these any good?and I don't see a part # on them.........

Thanks for any input! :beer:

o4cOb|2a

Wheel Hop 4 Life
Established Member
where are you guys getting the TR7IX at? I think I may give those a try..

urwtdrm

Blowned
Established Member
I changed to them from my stock plugs, and it was night and day. My gas mileage improved and my car ran alot better.

Yellow cobra

Established Member
i triyed the tr6 it were great spark plugs,now i am using the plugs which has gapped 0.32 my car performace getting worse.

NGK tr6 are the best.

HIGHOCTANE

Speed Junkie
Established Member
I just switched from TR-6's to TR-7ix's, night and day difference,-TR-7ix's all the way for me.

Rod

moridin2004

I took my own avatar pic
Established Member
Yellow cobra said:
i triyed the tr6 it were great spark plugs,now i am using the plugs which has gapped 0.32 my car performace getting worse.

NGK tr6 are the best.

What does any of that mean?

machslammer

Established Member
I just dyno'd my car yesterday and had the denso iridium 22's in my car. It ran great with them in there. Would not knock them at all but at 80 bucks makes me wonder why people buy these. I had them replace the plugs with only 4k miles on them with NGK TR8's. The suggested anything around the 500 hp they would go with the 8's. Anyways to make a long story short...made another pull and gained 2-3 ft lbs of tq around 5k-5200 above what the iridiums were making. Weird huh? Great plugs IMO. TR6 were nice too in my sprayed Mach.

TEABG

Banned
machslammer said:
I just dyno'd my car yesterday and had the denso iridium 22's in my car. It ran great with them in there. Would not knock them at all but at 80 bucks makes me wonder why people buy these. I had them replace the plugs with only 4k miles on them with NGK TR8's. The suggested anything around the 500 hp they would go with the 8's. Anyways to make a long story short...made another pull and gained 2-3 ft lbs of tq around 5k-5200 above what the iridiums were making. Weird huh? Great plugs IMO. TR6 were nice too in my sprayed Mach.

TR8 WTF? :smmon: :smmon: :smmon:

93SVT#18

Established Member
I am ready to purchase my plugs and now i cant decide between the tr6's or the tr7ix's. Is it worth the extra to get the iridium or not.

BlueSS

93SVT#18 said:
I am ready to purchase my plugs and now i cant decide between the tr6's or the tr7ix's. Is it worth the extra to get the iridium or not.
Also where is the best place to buy them?

WDW MKR

Established Member
93SVT#18 said:
advance auto carries the tr6's in stock at 1.77 each, but have to order the tr7ixs 6.96 each

Check other Advance stores in the area. One of my local stores doesn't carry the TR7ix, but the one around the corner does... go figure. They just don't retain a large in-store stock. I call ahead before going to pick them up.

dew.man

Established Member
Copper meltdown

Something I remember hearing back in my 300zx Twin Turbo days that hasn't been mentioned yet, is that when running higher boost with an agressing timing curve, a copper plug is a kind of safety precaution - if the car begins to detonate and you don't notice, a copper plug should melt down before other engine damage occurs. So if there's any truth to that, I'll go with the $2.00 TR6 option!

Anyone else ever heard of that or have an opinion?

SnakeBit

Mid-Life Crisis my ass!
Established Member
dew.man said:
Something I remember hearing back in my 300zx Twin Turbo days that hasn't been mentioned yet, is that when running higher boost with an agressing timing curve, a copper plug is a kind of safety precaution - if the car begins to detonate and you don't notice, a copper plug should melt down before other engine damage occurs. So if there's any truth to that, I'll go with the $2.00 TR6 option!

Anyone else ever heard of that or have an opinion?
Seems to me that if a plug melts down, it has to melt down somewhere and leave parts behind. Since it's in the head, the parts it sheds will also be in the head. Won't this do as much or more damage than detonation? I'd rather have plugs that remain intact and don't leave anything behind. Fuel and air should be the only things loose in the cylinder heads. Just my opinion.

dew.man

Established Member
SnakeBit said:
Seems to me that if a plug melts down, it has to melt down somewhere and leave parts behind. Since it's in the head, the parts it sheds will also be in the head. Won't this do as much or more damage than detonation? I'd rather have plugs that remain intact and don't leave anything behind. Fuel and air should be the only things loose in the cylinder heads. Just my opinion.
I'd rather melt a plug than a hole in the piston:p

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread