Double"O"

N2S come get some
Established Member
5.0 too...damn

Ill go 3k lol

Seriously...that thing is mint but i hated them until about 06 lol

mariusvt

Established Member
Ah the late 90s to early 00 explorers. The vehicle we have to thank for tpms.

Klaus

Established Member
Premium Member
My dad had one just like this but black and with a five speed. It was a cool truck. Only stick explorer I ever saw.

04YellowGT

Established Member
I had a 1997 Explorer XLT 5.0 AWD in highschool and that thing was a beast. I didn't appreciate that truck as much as a should have but it was a great SUV. I bought it with 87k miles and sold it with around 140k and barely put any money into it.

Tractorman

Greatest dad; Regional Qualifier
Established Member
I thought sport meant 2 door model in this generation? Either way, loved those trucks. I remember a friend in HS was driving one of these and was power sliding the hell out of it.

josephcostello

Established Member
I love my daily, one owner 98 expedition with the 5.4. I am convinced if the car market stays where it's at i will be driving that thing for a very long time.

BOOGIE MAN

Logic and Reason
Established Member
Pops had a 99 explorer 4 door v8 (don't remember the trim level) when I was a git. Loved that thing, first vehicle I ever went triple digit speeds in. Like others have said, it's still a good looking SUV and I'd rock one today. Always liked the the Lincoln aviator when it came out too; I imagine those had "nicer" interiors.

offroadkarter

Professional S***poster
Established Member
its wild what clean explorers go for now, both first and second gens. Its very very hard to find these in good shape anymore due to most of them being driven into the ground or of course being one of the most popular trade ins for cash for clunkers. My brother just picked up his 5th explorer a couple of months ago, a 94 eddie bauer with a factory 5spd, first eddie bauer 5spd I've ever seen in my life. Back in college he had a 98 XLT 5.0 with a mac catback and torque monster headers. Never see "street truck" second gens anymore, most on explorer forums these days are ratty V6's with wal mart mud boggers.

i-PpKsk8s.jpg

I thought sport meant 2 door model in this generation? Either way, loved those trucks. I remember a friend in HS was driving one of these and was power sliding the hell out of it.

This is a xlt sport which was a trim that got you the fender flares and larger wheels. You're correct that the sport model was the two door.

SID297

OWNER/ADMIN
Administrator
its wild what clean explorers go for now, both first and second gens. Its very very hard to find these in good shape anymore due to most of them being driven into the ground or of course being one of the most popular trade ins for cash for clunkers. My brother just picked up his 5th explorer a couple of months ago, a 94 eddie bauer with a factory 5spd, first eddie bauer 5spd I've ever seen in my life. Back in college he had a 98 XLT 5.0 with a mac catback and torque monster headers. Never see "street truck" second gens anymore, most on explorer forums these days are ratty V6's with wal mart mud boggers.

i-PpKsk8s.jpg

This is a xlt sport which was a trim that got you the fender flares and larger wheels. You're correct that the sport model was the two door.

That one looks good.

DSG2003Mach1

Established Member
Premium Member

I was expecting the same, a 98 2 door sport was my first car with the 4.0 SOHC. I was seriously thinking about trying to put a 5.0 with a centri in it, ended up getting the Mach 1 instead. The explorer went to my stepsister in Ohio and eventually died of the winter weather up there

01yellercobra

Established Member
We picked up a Mercury Mountaineer after my second deployment. It was our compromise vehicle as I wanted a 5.0, but we needed the room for the kids. I put a Mac catback and intake on it. I think we bought it with around 80k and traded it in at almost 200k. I think the worse thing that happened was the cam sensor died. Everything else was just maintenance. The only reason we traded it in is our son was growing like a weed and he was outgrowing the back seat.

SID297

OWNER/ADMIN
Administrator
We picked up a Mercury Mountaineer after my second deployment. It was our compromise vehicle as I wanted a 5.0, but we needed the room for the kids. I put a Mac catback and intake on it. I think we bought it with around 80k and traded it in at almost 200k. I think the worse thing that happened was the cam sensor died. Everything else was just maintenance. The only reason we traded it in is our son was growing like a weed and he was outgrowing the back seat.

Rust killed way more of those things than mechanical failures did. IMO, a 5.0 one had about the perfect amount of technology. Just enough to make it easy to live with, reliable, and fairly economical; but not so complicated as to have weird technical issues.

Users who are viewing this thread