Northwood's Time: Who's In???

Cobra-R

Established Member
Flying Fred said:
As for Chris Orr - very impressive lap times. You mentioned his weight/HP, but IMHO there are other key factors not mentioned. Is his 3000# with or without driver? What is the weight distribution? (I bet it is much better than my 57% front end weight.) Also the suspension on many cars are far better than Mustangs (no surprise to anyone there). His aerodynamics might be better too. And last, I agree that Chris is a better driver and willing to push a bit harder than I do.

Sorry this didn't help settle the argument.... then again I think there is no final answer. Perhaps it's best if you two just "agree to disagree" and have no hard feelings. Otherwise I could volunteer to drive someone's Z06 and see if I can beat my Cobra R times. Anybody willing to "lend me" one?:poke:
:beer:

I believe those weights to be with driver.

I was not using chris as a comparison to you or anyone else specifically as a driver. My point of bringing it up was, it doesn't take hp or extreme weight reductions to turn fast lap times. A well engineered car (with a good driver, as we have mentioned) can be very fast, that is what I am saying the Z06 is. I meant it nothing deeper than that, and apologize if I came off sounding like it was something personal.

Chris does have a splitter, but believe it or not, I don't remember him having a wing.

Just for the record, all is cool between Bruce and I. Our friendship goes much deeper than a stupid discussion about vette's and Mustangs on a message forum. :beer:

Fred,
Last time I ran the Auto-X with the shelby club, I dropped 2 seconds(if memory serves me right) going from Hoosier R3SO3's to the Dunlops in my 95R.

Brian

Flying Fred

"Double Nickels"
Established Member
Cobra-R said:
Just for the record, all is cool between Bruce and I. Our friendship goes much deeper than a stupid discussion about vette's and Mustangs on a message forum. :beer:
Damn.... there goes my excuse to have someone lend me a Z06 and settle the argument!:lol:

Cobra-R said:
Fred,
Last time I ran the Auto-X with the shelby club, I dropped 2 seconds(if memory serves me right) going from Hoosier R3SO3's to the Dunlops in my 95R.

Brian
That seems to be the number I hear most people using. I remember Jeremy would always use a set for that autocross and that was his feeling. The car was handling really well - even on the Nittos - so I will be curious to see how well I do on them. Nevertheless I can see why Bruce warned me those Dunlops can be addicting. I really noticed them in the carousel and we all know that part alone accounts for a significant amount of time.

mltohland

Black Z06
Established Member
Famous Fred, and all Fab-5-Fords,

You can't use my black Z06, not now, not never, but I will give the Fab-5-Fords some tire advise. :idea:

As you know, a tires CF (Coefficient of Friction) is greatly effected by temperature, pressure, the camber of the car and the slip angle you corner at. In fact, when the tires CF goes down, it reduces your traction and ultimately reduces your overall lap time. :read:

To drive faster in a mustang, you have to change your CF through driving tecniques. Back off in turns to reduce your Yaw and slip angles. Reduce the extreme negative camber to increase your CF. In fact if you would realign your tires to ZERO camber, and reduce your speeds into and through corners by up to 10 mph, you would in fact get around the track faster.:bs:

Bruce, that's the last advise I'll give out for free.

Flying Fred

"Double Nickels"
Established Member
ac427cobra said:
Thanks Marv!;-) There goes my chance to beat Fred once he zeros out his camber! :whine:

:D
Hahaha! Don't blame Marv.... you had your chance when you sold me those bushings. You should have screwed them up so my car would be as bad as last year!:lol:
BTW, don't sell yourself short. I was lucky to post a better autocross time this year, but you beat me last year in both the A/X and Cobra R race. I would suggest both are cars are rather equally well prepared and we both drive hard (though smart). What we really need to do is go to VIR again - and drag Ted along too. :poke:
Get where this is going buddy?

ac427cobra

FULLTILTBOOGIERACING.COM
Super Moderator
Fred:

I am very happy your car is running well. Glad I could have provided a little assistance.

Last year at the Cobra R Challenge Race I was just scratching my head wondering what the heck was wrong with your car?! :(

I'll gladly trade you a VIR for a Road Atlanta next Spring!?! ;-) :poke:

Flying Fred

"Double Nickels"
Established Member
ac427cobra said:
Fred:

I am very happy your car is running well. Glad I could have provided a little assistance.

I'll gladly trade you a VIR for a Road Atlanta next Spring!?! ;-) :poke:
You are too modest buddy... you provided a ton of assistance this year and I am very grateful. For the most part we seldom run together (sad really). On those occasions we do, it usually means some good video and lots of fun! And even though I enjoy racing, I still love good OT sessions where we fly like a wild pack of dogs around the track. Speaking of which, you're missing a great opportunity this Friday (and Ted, the lead Ho himself, will be there).

I'm up for either Road Atlanta or VIR next spring, assuming the date will work for my schedule!:pepper:

Anita

Established Member
Hmmm I didn't realize you all were still talking about Corvettes--guess I was too busy out there waxing mine!:D :D :D :D (whoever posted that early, well, no offense but maybe I don't want to go fishing with you if that's the best bait you've got! LOLOL:D:D ).

Just some quick non essential FYI's: The most au naturelle C5 Z06 I've seen out there recently is Jesse White's (NASA TTA). I believe he's only got an Addco anti-sway bar in the front and Kuhmo V710 295's all the way around. And I think he did a 2:31 at the recent NASA RA event? And I think Jeremy had Hoosiers? on at the same event.

I'll shut up now!:thumbsup:

But, I do hope to maybe see some of you up at RA this weekend with Badger Bimmers? Fingers crossed for tomorrow's weather. Don't forget Sabine Schmitz (the ring taxi driver) and Klaus Abbelen are supposed to be up there too as guest intructors (well you do have to pay $100 to let them drive your car--sorry, but I'm not gonna do that LOL). Everyone enjoy no matter which track you're headed too!

Now I better get back to waxing my vette (and no, I really don't think I want to know what you all are waxing out there:uh oh: :D :D )

ac427cobra

FULLTILTBOOGIERACING.COM
Super Moderator
Anita:

You will for sure see Fred and Ted there. Don't know who else?

Have fun. Be safe. Keep the shiny side shiny! :-D

1995COBRA-R

20 Year Member
Established Member
Premium Member

ac427cobra

FULLTILTBOOGIERACING.COM
Super Moderator
Doc:

I don't know about Watkins Glen but I did find some Road America C6R lap times from over on CC:

RoadAmerica17.gif

:read:

Clutchdumper

Established Member
Flying Fred said:
Man, these Z06 drivers will go to any lengths to slow down Mustang drivers!:poke:

Fred,

I hate when that happens! :-D

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FFnl6rB19mQ

Are you still coming down to ABCC this weekend? I have to coach my son's football team but will try to come Sat afternoon to show you, Bruce and whoever a few lines. I spoke to Mark Hasenberg and will contribute to NWShelby if my car is ready to run. The car is being fitted with a sequential transmission. I'll be there Friday and Sunday as well if it's ready!

Mike

ac427cobra

FULLTILTBOOGIERACING.COM
Super Moderator
Clutchdumper said:
Fred,

I hate when that happens! :-D

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FFnl6rB19mQ

Are you still coming down to ABCC this weekend? I have to coach my son's football team but will try to come Sat afternoon to show you, Bruce and whoever a few lines. I spoke to Mark Hasenberg and will contribute to NWShelby if my car is ready to run. The car is being fitted with a sequential transmission. I'll be there Friday and Sunday as well if it's ready!

Mike

Ha ha Mike! :-D I love that video. Did you film that? For once it was a Mustang holding up a Corvette! ;-) But then once I saw his ass end slide out and went off track, it was a downer! :cryying:

I'm sure the rest of the guys on the board have seen this one but in case you missed it here is a little action I ran into at the NASA event this past August at Road America:

Mustang/Z06 roll reversal

I don't think Fred will be making it down for the event. He has a motor issue right now. I won't be there either. Work is piling up in my shop and it needs some attention. :(

Good luck with your car. Do you ever use your street Z as a back-up?

:thumbsup: :coolman: :beer:

Clutchdumper

Established Member
ac427cobra said:
Ha ha Mike! :-D I love that video. Did you film that? For once it was a Mustang holding up a Corvette! ;-) But then once I saw his ass end slide out and went off track, it was a downer! :cryying:

I'm sure the rest of the guys on the board have seen this one but in case you missed it here is a little action I ran into at the NASA event this past August at Road America:

Mustang/Z06 roll reversal

I don't think Fred will be making it down for the event. He has a motor issue right now. I won't be there either. Work is piling up in my shop and it needs some attention. :(

Good luck with your car. Do you ever use your street Z as a back-up?

:thumbsup: :coolman: :beer:

Bruce,

Sorry to hear you guys can't make it. :(

I love your videos with narration, they truly are quite funny! Those were some great driving lines by the white vette, he only missed the apex by 10 feet a few times. You know that track well and a newbie will usually be watching his mirrors and not the track and overdrive his car and abilities.

BTW...why were you running in the beginners group? :lol:

I do drive the street Z06 on the track as well, I just don't prefer it anymore. The race car stays at the track so all I do is show up and drive. With the Z06I have to trailer it, change tires, etc...it's way more work.

For those of you that will be running full track...here's a video of Brian Kubinski (Pro World Challenge Driver) driving my car a few weeks ago with the old transmission. Some take South 1 a little tighter, but overall this is a good video to see the lines......of course replaces nothing like being out there. The car is a second off Trans-am times, and will be equal or faster with the new tranny and proper gearing..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0Khq7pbo-L0

Mike

Users who are viewing this thread