Not quite the tick...what is it?

spitin venom

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
Established Member
Mine does it when the car has been idleing for a long time. It will tick 2-3 times then nothing for a couple seconds then do it again. After a while it will just start ticking consistently. It doesn't sound as loud or like metal on metal like the video above. I have heard of a dozen different things it can be. I need help because even though it is not loud... It bothers me.

SVTGuenni

Established Member
Since last week I have the exact same noise as on the video. Mine comes from the bottom of the passager side though. Hard to hear when driving. Is is the loudest if you listen from behind the right front wheel.
Mine was built in 06/2002 so first I thought it was that tick but I couldn't find the source on top of the motor. I was assuming a broken rod bearing. Did anyone had this before? Now I am concerned about driving any longer cos I don't wanna create more damage.
For me things are a little more complicated since I live in Germany and Ford dealers don't know much about this motor. I am just happy to have some friends who have the same car (in the military as well as some locals).
Stateside warranty wouldn't cover my car anyway so I hope to get it fixed somehow for a reasonable price.

Thanks

suaveflooder

500 hp grocery getter
Established Member
Mine sounds the same way....I'm not worried about it to be honest...it's quiet, and it doesn't even do it all the time.....I'm out of warranty, so oh well, it's not like it can get fixed right now anyway. I'm just going to save and when the motor blows, I'll have some fun with it. For all I know this thing could last well over 100K

SVTGuenni

Established Member
suaveflooder said:
Mine sounds the same way....I'm not worried about it to be honest...it's quiet, and it doesn't even do it all the time.....I'm out of warranty, so oh well, it's not like it can get fixed right now anyway. I'm just going to save and when the motor blows, I'll have some fun with it. For all I know this thing could last well over 100K

Mine has only 20k on the clock.

suaveflooder

500 hp grocery getter
Established Member
And it makes that noise? huh. Well, mine has done it since about 30k, but the car still pulls hard, plugs looked perfect when I pulled them, and it won't be modified much more until I get out of school. I may just rip it apart when I do start modifying and putting a stronger bottem end in it and fixing whatever damage is done, if any. Like I said, it doesn't even do it all the time. Ironically, it stops on hot days....

Nicky Pass

...boom goes the dynamite
Established Member
That noise in the video is the "tick"....I've heard it in person...thats what it sounded like!

suaveflooder

500 hp grocery getter
Established Member
I was told that the tick was very loud and you could hear it at a distance...or even inside the car...and why does mine go away? It comes and goes with the weather.....

suaveflooder

500 hp grocery getter
Established Member
well....just checked it...no ticky today...so does that mean my head tick went away? I just don't think that's what it is.....

mysticsvt

southernmustangandford
Established Member
Premium Member
Party Liquor Posse
Nicky P 03 SVT said:
That noise in the video is the "tick"....I've heard it in person...thats what it sounded like!

I'm sure you were not talking about my video..cause "the tick" isnt 7 and 8 piston slamming into the heads-Shane

DaveHutch

Bullets and Cars n stuff
Established Member
mysticsvt said:
I'm sure you were not talking about my video..cause "the tick" isnt 7 and 8 piston slamming into the heads-Shane
how long did you drive with your pistons slamming into your heads? i wouldnt imagine much more than 20 miles???

mysticsvt

southernmustangandford
Established Member
Premium Member
Party Liquor Posse
DaveHutch said:
how long did you drive with your pistons slamming into your heads? i wouldnt imagine much more than 20 miles???

Actually..it wasnt that bad power wise. The motor was being replaced under warranty so I didnt care. I had to drive the car 3 hours to the SVT dealership plus a friend helping me out was down there. Had no power loss at all, but the noise was really bad and everyone was like WTF?-Shane

SicStang03

2SSSlow
Established Member
So what have you guys paid that got the heads replaced that didn't have a warranty anymore???

ReVviNg HiGh

Rev it up!
Established Member
Last edited:

ReVviNg HiGh

Rev it up!
Established Member
RealBadDude said:
actually they are all the head tick, it is just that some are worse then others.

I had a friend listen to mine. He had the head tick. He said mine sounds nothing like his.

ReVviNg HiGh

Rev it up!
Established Member
AMD[H]unter said:
So those last 2 videos posted are the head tick for real? I was worried I had it, but it seems that I don't.

All the videos i have heard are the tick. The two i posted on my car is a possible exhaust leak. I have some soot around the midpipe to manifold connection on the drivers side. I have to try and adjust the midpipe.

RealBadDude

Banned
ReVviNg HiGh said:
All the videos i have heard are the tick. The two i posted on my car is a possible exhaust leak. I have some soot around the midpipe to manifold connection on the drivers side. I have to try and adjust the midpipe.

i hope that is all it is. let us know.
the videos you showed that were not your car sounded more like a "knock" and not the tick.
also one of the videos sounded like it was from the drivers side, and as i am sure you know, the tick is on the passenger side head.

however there is an issue w/ the drivers side head over heating on high speed runs and causing noise.
i bet that is what that other car had. it certinaly wasn;t the "tick"

ReVviNg HiGh

Rev it up!
Established Member
The passenger side can also get the tick even though the drivers side is more prone. I have heard over 6-10 vids of "the tick" and all sound like the two vids i posted on others people cars. Also, my friend had the tick. He listened to mine and asked what noise are you talking about... So idk lol

Users who are viewing this thread