Not quite the tick...what is it?

SicStang03

2SSSlow
Established Member
hmmmm. I just had my LFP H/E put on so my fluid judt got flushed. I am going to change the oil, fuel filter, and do that injector cleaning thingy..... I will keep everyone posted

ReVviNg HiGh

Rev it up!
Established Member
Even stock cars can get the tick. But the noise you guys are talking about is probably valvetrain noise. And if mine is the tick, its not getting worse so i can live with the faint noise. Try and find a TICK video. It will make you feel better about the faint ticking or valvetrain noise.

PWORLDSTANG

Bring 'Em Out
Established Member
I have this noise too. I noticed it after I got exhaust on the car. It definitely sounds like something valvetrain related. But I've also heard it on other Terminators, and this isn't the first thread where concerns on this noise have came up. I doubt it's anything serious.

PWORLDSTANG

Bring 'Em Out
Established Member
Come to think of it, I think it's actually just increased audible valvetrain noise due to a combination of bigger exhaust piping, and having no cats.

I didn't have this noise before I got exhaust. And I can hear it "echoe" through my exhaust pipes at times.

I'm not 100% sure of what it is, but that's my take on it from having the noise also.

REDFIREKNIGHT

SVT XENON GURU
Established Member
Well I am beign trained at Ford Fact to become a Ford Tech so I get access to the Fords tech service, workshop manual, wiring diagram ect. I put it my vin # and the concern on Fords OASIS because I have the same problem. And this is the bulletin Ford has for the TICK consern........

2003 MUSTANG COBRA: ENGINE - TICK NOISE FROM ENGINE - COBRA VEHICLES EQUIPPED WITH ENGINES BUILT BEFORE 11/1/2002 ONLY
SOME 2003 MUSTANG COBRA VEHICLES WITH ENGINES BUILT BEFORE 11/1/2002 MAY EXHIBIT AN UNUSUAL ENGINE TICK NOISE THAT IS PRESENT AT ALL TEMPERATURES DURING IDLE. THIS NOISE MAY BE DUE TO VALVE GUIDE WEAR IN THE LEFT BANK CYLINDER HEAD. GUIDE WEAR MANIFESTS ITSELF AS A TICK NOISE WHICH CAN BE HEARD AT THE REAR OF LH HEAD, THROUGH LH CATALYST, AT THE LH FRONT WHEEL WELL AND MAY NOT BE HEARD WITH THE HOOD OPEN. USE THE DIAGNOSTIC PROCEDURES LISTED IN THIS ARTICLE TO EVALUATE THE VEHICLE CONDITION AND REPLACE THE CYLINDER HEAD IF APPLICABLE.

I hope this helped.

Ocho Cinco
Established Member
Mine sounds the same... :pop: My guess these cars are NOISEY!!!! Im out of warranty. I dont have a headtick. I consider myself lucky. :) Does anyone know what the problem is? I thought it was a big exhaust leak, but after adding my full exhaust on, i turned it on and heard it inside of the shop. New exhaust on there.. all bold tightened.. cant be a leak that early.
Blue_03_SVT said:
So about a week ago i was sittin in the parking lot at work, about to shut off the car, and i could hear a tick...quiet, but a tick none the less, that hadnt been there before.:cuss: Got out, and near as i can tell it is loudest from about where the drivers side exhaust runs right behind the front tire.

Since then, anytime the car gets hot, i can hear it, and its slowly getting louder. Ive listened to the videos of "the tick" and its nowhere near that loud, but could it be the same thing? Still have warranty on the car, and would like to get it fixed if thats what it is. Any suggestions on other things to check first? It is very quiet when i first start it up, but when it gets hot ( and its been hot out here in SoCal lately) It actually gets loud enough to hear from about...5-6 feet away with the hood closed.

Last edited:

ReVviNg HiGh

Rev it up!
Established Member
REDFIREKNIGHT said:
Well I am beign trained at Ford Fact to become a Ford Tech so I get access to the Fords tech service, workshop manual, wiring diagram ect. I put it my vin # and the concern on Fords OASIS because I have the same problem. And this is the bulletin Ford has for the TICK consern........

2003 MUSTANG COBRA: ENGINE - TICK NOISE FROM ENGINE - COBRA VEHICLES EQUIPPED WITH ENGINES BUILT BEFORE 11/1/2002 ONLY
SOME 2003 MUSTANG COBRA VEHICLES WITH ENGINES BUILT BEFORE 11/1/2002 MAY EXHIBIT AN UNUSUAL ENGINE TICK NOISE THAT IS PRESENT AT ALL TEMPERATURES DURING IDLE. THIS NOISE MAY BE DUE TO VALVE GUIDE WEAR IN THE LEFT BANK CYLINDER HEAD. GUIDE WEAR MANIFESTS ITSELF AS A TICK NOISE WHICH CAN BE HEARD AT THE REAR OF LH HEAD, THROUGH LH CATALYST, AT THE LH FRONT WHEEL WELL AND MAY NOT BE HEARD WITH THE HOOD OPEN. USE THE DIAGNOSTIC PROCEDURES LISTED IN THIS ARTICLE TO EVALUATE THE VEHICLE CONDITION AND REPLACE THE CYLINDER HEAD IF APPLICABLE.

I hope this helped.

In that case it looks like i have a slight tick haha but it cant be heard if standing more then 3 feet from the car so as long as it stays quiet im happy.

SicStang03

2SSSlow
Established Member
redfirenight can you tell us the proper way to go through the diagnostic procedures to see if it is the elusive tick... My low tick is on the right side of the car behind the wheel... Not heard above the engine...

My Ford dealer wanted to charge me 100 just to look at it to see if it is... I was like NO THANKS

PWORLDSTANG

Bring 'Em Out
Established Member
REDFIREKNIGHT said:

I hope this helped.

Thanks for the info.

:beer:

vin1382

Established Member
my dads 98 cobra has the same noise, albeit not quite as loud as mine. i think mine is either an exhaust leak(off/x), or just loud valvetrain.

REDFIREKNIGHT

SVT XENON GURU
Established Member
Here is the procedure for the "Tick" concern, I hope this will help you.

ACTION:
Use the diagnostic procedures listed in this article to evaluate the vehicle condition and replace the cylinder head if applicable. Refer to the following Service Procedure for details.

SERVICE PROCEDURE

NOTE: THIS REPLACEMENT CYLINDER HEAD WILL NOT IMPROVE OR REDUCE PERFORMANCE.

In order to diagnose noise, the following items must be checked.

Verify noise by placing a stethoscope on the back of the left head near the exhaust ports.
Verify that the noise is heard in the left side exhaust system (left side wheel well or catalytic converter, from underneath the vehicle).
Try to isolate the noise by canceling the cylinders, by unplugging the injectors one at a time (start with #8 cylinder).
Verify that there are no exhaust manifold leaks.
Check to make sure that the camshaft spacers are in place. If not, install cam spacers and retest vehicle.
Check for proper cam sprocket bolt torque, retorque to spec
Check for spongy lash adjusters
Verify that the timing chain tensioner pin has been removed.
If the above diagnostics does not eliminate the noise while the cylinders are cancelled, and the engine was built prior to 11/1/2002, replace the left side cylinder head and cam assembly.

Good luck every one. Lets just hope its an exhaust leack and not nothing major.

mysticsvt

southernmustangandford
Established Member
Premium Member
Party Liquor Posse
Theres the basic three noises that our cars make that people get confused about. Injectors, head tick and then the bad one...usually 7 and 8 piston problem. Ive been through this and it was the bad one. It sounded like a ticking and was hoping it was the heads...and it was....the pistons hitting them. Sometimes it isnt that loud but it will get really bad. Noise was comming from the bottom end, not the top, as you can listen from the link. Now..Ford told me..that the heads were a horrible design and caused 7 and 8 to overheat, as if we didnt know this. They replace the motor with a redesigned 4v head in 05 and upgraded pistons. I doubt they will come out and tell people this as in a TSB or recall. But when your car develops this go talk to them-Shane
th_MVI_1152.gif

Last edited:

hotcobra03

Established Member
tick tick tick

mine has always sounded like a honda , lol..after adding long tube headers ,it seems louder,,checked all of my headerbolts for leakes,,after 190k i found it ,i have a crack in the middle of the 4 pipes coming together on the rightside header,,i used a stethescope to locate it:beer:

DaveHutch

Bullets and Cars n stuff
Established Member
mysticsvt said:
Theres the basic three noises that our cars make that people get confused about. Injectors, head tick and then the bad one...usually 7 and 8 piston problem. Ive been through this and it was the bad one. It sounded like a ticking and was hoping it was the heads...and it was....the pistons hitting them. Sometimes it isnt that loud but it will get really bad. Noise was comming from the bottom end, not the top, as you can listen from the link. Now..Ford told me..that the heads were a horrible design and caused 7 and 8 to overheat, as if we didnt know this. They replace the motor with a redesigned 4v head in 05 and upgraded pistons. I doubt they will come out and tell people this as in a TSB or recall. But when your car develops this go talk to them-Shane
th_MVI_1152.gif
wow wow wow......so your saying this is a bottom end tick? mine sounds JUST like that......but it has had the tick since 17 k( has 40k on it now).....and nothing catastrophic has ever happened.
i have no warranty.....but your saying this is acually a recall?

mysticsvt

southernmustangandford
Established Member
Premium Member
Party Liquor Posse
Its no recall..from what I gathered "Some People" at Ford said that the heads were a bad design. That Ford under warranty will replace the motor is indeed it is piston slap on the heads. Usually it is caused by 7 and 8 piston over heating. They tend to start wobbling in the cylinder from what they said. That is covered under warranty if it happens. I gather..that they wont come out and do a recall or even a TSB cause they would be out alot of money. But..IF this happens to you as it did to me and your under warranty get it taken care of at Ford. If your out of warranty...OUCH if this is the problem. Time to upgrade-Shane

DaveHutch

Bullets and Cars n stuff
Established Member
the guy i bought the car from said he would check and see how much longer the warranty was...and if i could get the extended warranty...does anyone know how to go about doing this?( hes not very helpful- always busy)

SicStang03

2SSSlow
Established Member
mysticsvt said:
Its no recall..from what I gathered "Some People" at Ford said that the heads were a bad design. That Ford under warranty will replace the motor is indeed it is piston slap on the heads. Usually it is caused by 7 and 8 piston over heating. They tend to start wobbling in the cylinder from what they said. That is covered under warranty if it happens. I gather..that they wont come out and do a recall or even a TSB cause they would be out alot of money. But..IF this happens to you as it did to me and your under warranty get it taken care of at Ford. If your out of warranty...OUCH if this is the problem. Time to upgrade-Shane

Don't they cut you a deal on the heads if you get the tick without warranty?? What was the price if anyone had to do it for both heads and labor??

JedWele

aka "boostfiend"
Established Member
I might also mention I heard a little noise when I first got mine was thinking it might be the head tick, turned out to be the TOB. It kinda sounded like a light tick , but when I pulled the clutch in it would go away.

Users who are viewing this thread