Not the worst thing that could have happened, but pretty damn close.

NetworkingGuru

Established Member
Warning, Long.

CLIFF NOTES:

Semi vs. Cobra. Wasn't even close. Cobra is probably totalled. I am fine, actually walked away without a scratch. Just lucky I guess :shrug: :cryying:

FULL THING:

I was driving down to my brother's (in Florida) to get the clutch pulled in order to send to Spec for warranty investigation (long story in and of itself). I was making good time (covered 450 miles in 5 hours :eek: ) with no problems at all. Was in a construction zone on I-95 right around St. Augustine, and it begin raining lightly. I slowed to 65 or so (limit was 60) due to the rain, even though the car felt fine, no slipping at all. I was passing about the 45th semi when from out of no where, the rearend COMPLETELY looses traction and slides to my right. Even though I know better, I wasn't really thinking, and eased on the brakes, which, of course, sent the nose of the car to the right and the rear to the left MUCH more dramatically. I watched in horror as the nose went under the Semi truck's trailer, and then a loud BANG and all kinds of flashes and smoke and debris shot from the front as the semi appeared to run over the front of the car. This sent the car careening the other direction, at least until the back of the semi trailer hit the back of the car, which caused my rear windows to explode, sent a HUGE push forward and slammed the nose of the car directly into a guardrail at about 60 MPH. When this happened, the jolt was phenomenal, everything went explosively white all of the sudden, and my airbags (both of them) exploded. I was wearing my seatbelt, so they didn't really hit me, just shocked me. At this point, I just pulled my hands in and put them over my face and waited to die. The car stopped shortly there after, and even though I didn't want to, I immediately looked over to my left (my driver's side door was facing oncoming traffic) and thried to see the car that was going to kill me. Luckily, amazingly, that car was a Ford Explorer that, despite the fact that he was following too closely, managed to stop well short of hitting me. Even better, everyone behind him also managed to stop. I unbuckled my seatbelt and ran to the median. The cars went around, except for the trucker who I hit, who stopped a bit up the road (unharmed but hopping mad), and the one behind him, who stopped to make sure I was OK. The trucker took charge and began waving people on and setting up cones. THis is good, because I was in no condition, I was stunned, and sick, at the same time. I amanaged to keep control of my bodily functions, but I wanted to puke when I saw my car. Everything that existed in front of the front wheels is now gone. Not damaged, not broken.....disentegrated. The aforementioned windows are gone. The trunk popped open and cracked, the roof warped, the passenger side rear quarterpanel is destroyed, the rear bumper is mangled. Amazingly though, the wheels and tires are perfect, and the car still rolls. The frame appears bent, but the tow truck driver thinks it isn't bent bad enough to be totalled. I will have to wait for insurance to tell me. Maybe. This brings up another issue, due to a dispute with the insurance company, which I don't know if I can comment on yet, I may not be covered for the accident. That's right, I may have to pay out of my own pocket. The damage appears to be at LEAST 15K worth, and I don't know that I can get it fixed without insurance, but we will have to see. One thing about this before someone accuses me of driving without insurance, according to my wife and the agent she spoke to, we HAD insurance. But now, they are disputing what we were told, and are launching an investigation as to what we were told. That's all I can say, but I thought I was covered.

Anyway, no one was hurt, and the only damage was to my car and the guardrail. The semi didn't have a scratch. At least that is good.

Anyhow, I was stranded in St. Augustine for a day until my wife could come get me. Just got home tonight. The car is still there, or I would have pictures. Sorry.

Sorry for the long windedness, I think I will go puke now.

beabout

Established Member
Glad to hear you are not seriously injured. Shame about the cobra though

B03Cobra

SVT G0D
Established Member
DUDE All thats important is that you and everyone else is ok! It's just a car....Things can be replaced. So glad you are ok!

flyn high again

You are getting sleepy...
Established Member
Oh, man, Brian!

I'm really sorry to read this. You are lucky to be alive. Semis squish things. I hope it works out ok with the insurance co. Remember the car is just a car. :eek:

Juiced-03

Established Member
I know how you feel man,,,even though everyone says it's just a car and can be replaced, it's still your baby!!! I hope insurance takes care of it for you but honestly I wouldnt want to fix a car like this with that much damage. Glad you made it out ok, I cant believe you are hear able to type! I probably would have jumped off a cliff by now.

PhillyCobra

Established Member
Guru,

Glad you're OK!! These cars are built pretty solid.

Wonder whether you had hydroplaning?? Rear end is light, perhaps tread worn down, ? type of rear tire, actually need a lot of power to go 65 in the rain.

Please be careful out there guys!!!

Terminator

Established Member
MAN! that must of scared the BJesus out of you
I'm REALLY happy that your ok
Now go pray to the porcelin God

lethal

Established Member
Your life.... you need to write all this shit down. Glad your ok physically... just make it through the mental part as best you can.

When your all set, we'll coach you into buying another Cobra (with a warranty!) with the insurance check.

Your alive, theres a purpose in that.

John

hj16

Established Member
Jesus Christ!!!

She's gone man. I was rear-ended in my GT by a Caravan doing 50 when I was stopped and it was totaled. I can only imagine what your Cobra looks like.

Glad you're okay Bro

fr03cobra

Established Member
St. Augustine is right down the street from me here in jacksonville fl. Sorry to hear about the accident and I'm glad to here your alright. Keep us updated.

esqeddy

VENUMUS
Established Member
WOW. Thank you for sharing. Let us all share our concern for your safety. You are really lucky you weren't hurt or killed. The car can and will be replaced....you can't be replaced.

Zinc03Cobra

Super Trooper
Established Member
damn, glad you made it out without a scratch. that is the most important of all. Babies can be replaced by bigger/better and faster babies, fear not. best of luck to you.

lifter213

Established Member
That's horrible...glad to hear your ok though. The car can be fixed or replaced.

NetworkingGuru

Established Member
Thanks guys. For those that asked, the rears were Nitto 555R drag radials, which have been surprisingly good in MUCH worse rain than this.I don't know what happened, I passed several trucks in this rain with NO sign of slipping. There was no warning. It just happened. About the only thing I can think of is that I hit a pudde at the same time that the backwash off of the Semi hit me. Nothing else makes any sense. I know what the car feels like when the rears are about to hydroplane, this was MUCH worse and MUCH quicker.

God, I miss the car already.

If they don;t fix it, I don't know that I'll be able to get another one. The ins. check (if I get it) will most likely JUST cover the loan (I was upside down going in and I've had it for 1 year and 25K miles). I just lost my steady job for 4 years, and am now technically working for myself, though I do get a steady paycheck.And my credit is not the best (long story, had a business go under years ago). If they total it, I'll most likely be driving a Honda or something :(

itsrlong

Established Member
Glad you are ok!!! I was at Rockingham when your clutch gave out. I was the blonde guy in the red '99 Cobra... I was there with all the '03 Cobras from the Hickory area... You were talking to Silver03Snake. We didn't officially meet. I live in Hickory and am also a network engineer. Drop me a line sometime. We can discuss Cobras and/or networks... [email protected]

NetworkingGuru

Established Member
Originally posted by itsrlong
Glad you are ok!!! I was at Rockingham when your clutch gave out. I was the blonde guy in the red '99 Cobra... I was there with all the '03 Cobras from the Hickory area... You were talking to Silver03Snake. We didn't officially meet. I live in Hickory and am also a network engineer. Drop me a line sometime. We can discuss Cobras and/or networks... [email protected]

Hey man, thanks so much for the support. I think we did talk about your car, the S/C 99? Sweet car man. I'll give you a yell sometime for sure :beer:

Users who are viewing this thread