Notchy/grindy shifting after engine and clutch change

5.0 Hatch

Established Member
Prior to doing an engine and clutch swap, my tr3650 shifted fine. After swapping the engine and installing a 03/04 cobra clutch, shifting is notchy and grinds a bit while normal driving. It gets better once things get warmed up. Is the clutch sticking or do I need some sort of adjustment? Clutch engagement feels pretty normal to me, about 3 inches from the floor.

Stock cable, stock quadrant and no firewall adjuster. I tried pulling up on the pedal to adjust but I don't think that did anything. Thoughts?

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
Was the clutch used or new? Clutch brand? I would have installed a new clutch quadrant and firewall adjuster. With the engine off, how is shifting through the gears? It could be a misadjusted clutch issue if shifting thru the gears is smoother with the engine off than while running. It sounds like at the present you cannot properly adjust the clutch engagement. It may be time for a new cable and/or adjustable quadrant.

hotcobra03

Established Member
I had issues with shifting,
after new cable install

I had to remove cable and lube it on inside with WD-40,

Night and day difference..

5.0 Hatch

Established Member
Thanks everyone. I'll change the quadrant and install a firewall adjuster and lube the cable all at the same time. I'm hesitant to change the cable since the aftermarket seems worse than the stock from what I read.

01yellercobra

Established Member
What fluid did you use? Usually if it smooths out when it warms up it's a fluid issue.

The other stuff is still a good idea even if changing the fluid improves it.

01yellercobra

Established Member
As weird as it sounds, I had good luck with Coastal brand ATF. I'm currently running Synchromesh. IMO a stock plastic quadrant should be able to handle a stock Cobra clutch. But to be honest it's been forever since I've had one.

You could always try lubing the cable first. That would probably be the easiest thing to try. Then move to the fluid. And finally the quadrant. At least that way you would know what the issue was if it suddenly gets better.

hotcobra03

Established Member
Glad to hear,

What type of quadrant did you choose. .

I did a single hook.
I noticed I can shift now with clutch not against the floor board.
Like just past 3/4 down ,

Users who are viewing this thread