Note about battery group sizing

stkjock

Corn Powered 900 HP!
Established Member
So due to a combination of factors, weather, travel and family commitments, I had not driven the Shelby in maybe 7-8 weeks or so. Get so me time today and decent weather, decided to take a cruise, jump in the Mistress and....... Yup click, click, click. Battery El Morte

Jump on the iPad to find a battery, see listings with "battery group size", I don't ever recall seeing that before. Quick look, seems the groups listed for the Stang are all about a 1/8" similar. Order the battery, go down to Pep Boys, pick it up, go to drop it in and the ****er doesnt fit. It's too long to fit the tray. I had no issues when I replaced my 06s battery a few years back, so grabbed a hammer, chisel and Dremel, broke out the little triangle tabs on one end of the tray and boom dropped right it.

The hold down had just enough room to fit in and the bolt went in on a small angle to fit. But she was in.

Fired up the car on the second crank and the motor roared to life.

Took he for a drive, I forgot how fast she is..... I kicked myself for waiting so long to drive her again......

Moral of the story.... Drive you car, or be sure to have a tender (yes I'm a dumb ass for not having one) AND make sure you get the right Group Size if you are replacing your battery.

stkjock

Corn Powered 900 HP!
Established Member
Here's another thought I had and after looking on line some and talking to a few guys in the business that I respect, I've come to this conclusion.

When one has a big ass blower (4.0L Whipple in my case) having a higher CCA rated battery as a upgrade, makes a lot of sense, it will help the starter motor get that big ass blower spinning along with the motor to start up.

The new battery is a 700cca rating vs. 590 stock. When I started the car up, it seemed to turn over better than it ever had before, just a thought that the added drag of the bigger blower makes it a good idea to up the CCA.

Last edited:

RIO RED SNAKE

4:10's = The Suck
Established Member
All good info, mine has an interstate battery in it and I trust those with my life, but yea seems these cars need battery tenders, ,my uncles Ford GT needs them too

Robert M

800 HORSE FUN!!
Established Member
It is amazing how that little flashing "Theft" light on the dash, and other electronics will zap a battery within a month or so.

R

stkjock

Corn Powered 900 HP!
Established Member
It is amazing how that little flashing "Theft" light on the dash, and other electronics will zap a battery within a month or so.

R

Well the car did sit for 7 weeks or so and many sub freezing days. Also was the OEM battery, so 6 years old, or so.

Robert M

800 HORSE FUN!!
Established Member
Well the car did sit for 7 weeks or so and many sub freezing days. Also was the OEM battery, so 6 years old, or so.

It still does not take long (in comparision to the old cars), for a battery to drain on these newer cars. There is much that stays energized, even when the key is off.

But yes, you got a good long life out of that battery. The longest I have gotten out of an OEM assy. line Motorcraft battery was 13 years in a 1995 Cobra R, it was battery tendered regularly since new whenever the car was in the garage. I just sold that correct Motorcraft BX-58C battery core to a 1995 Cobra R owner for $150 plus shipping last year. :thumbsup:

R

Last edited:

me32

BEASTLY SHELBY GT500 TVS
Premium Member
Yes the stock battery for the gt500 dont hold enough juice. Also do u have pics pf the new battery installed?

SoCalHarley

SC32VGT
Established Member
Sears Platinum is an Odyssey AGM. You should look into this technology if the car sits for a long time and still needs big cranking power.

stkjock

Corn Powered 900 HP!
Established Member
Yes the stock battery for the gt500 dont hold enough juice. Also do u have pics pf the new battery installed?

I didn't bother taking any pics. I can get one in if you wanted, nothing special to see, just sitting in the tray, no OEM blanket on it.

Users who are viewing this thread