NSR Cam Choices - Best Option

Streetpwr281

Established Member
Strongly considering NSR cams when I swap my Gen 2 Whipple 2.9 for the new Gen 3 in Jan. L&M $1599 is the popular choice it seems but I’m seeing other options from Kurgan Racing (on VMP Site) $1400 and MMR has Comp Cam Stage 1 Cams $1199 also for stock springs. Anyone have experience positive or negative with these various options? Application is a 800rwhp goal 100% street use 13 GT500. Please share your thoughts/experiences. Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Beercules

Established Member
-Ask your tuner for their experience as well.
-Upgrade all the timing components while you're in there. Only want to dig into this once.
-www.maximummotorsports.com/Engine-Support-Beam-2005-2014-Mustang-P1505.aspx to hold engine up while dropping pan to get to oil pump gears.
-Slide the engine sideways to get the drivers side cam cover off.
-Do what you can to cover the k member holes near the motor mounts otherwise itll eat parts and tools.

Streetpwr281

Established Member
-Ask your tuner for their experience as well.
Upgrade all the timing components while you're in there.
-www.maximummotorsports.com/Engine-Support-Beam-2005-2014-Mustang-P1505.aspx to hold engine up while dropping pan to get to oil pump gears.
-Slide the engine sideways to get the drivers side cam cover off.
-Do what you can to cover the k member holes near the motor mounts otherwise itll eat parts and tools.

I’m having the install and tune completed locally at Coastal Dyno. My tuner has good things to say about his experience with the L&M NSR cams but has not utilized the other options to have an opinion.

Beercules

Established Member
Still, upgrade everything while you have the front cover off. Mmr is advertising the sprocket and oil pump gear kit. Get the better secondary chains/ billet sprockets. Upgrade the size of the primary guide pivot pins. Cut the first couple teeth on the primary ratcheting tensionerd so a 2 step or something doesn't lock it at too tight a setting.

Beercules

Established Member
As for the cams themselves, i have the l&m nsr. They are noisy headturners that people seem to like. My GF doesn't like the new smell of gas at idle. It didn't drop highway mileage much. At 6000' elevation i think they're almost too much, they don't 'come on' until a bit above 2100 rpm so i had to change the way i take off from stop lights. Haven't heard about the other 2.

Streetpwr281

Established Member
Still, upgrade everything while you have the front cover off. Mmr is advertising the sprocket and oil pump gear kit. Get the better secondary chains/ billet sprockets. Upgrade the size of the primary guide pivot pins. Cut the first couple teeth on the primary ratcheting tensionerd so a 2 step or something doesn't lock it at too tight a setting.

I’ve had the billet OPGs and Crank gear upgraded already. HD Secondary chains sounds like a no brainer for ~$250. I’ll never use a 2-step or competitively drag race this car so I think that may be enough.

Streetpwr281

Established Member
As for the cams themselves, i have the l&m nsr. They are noisy headturners that people seem to like. My GF doesn't like the new smell of gas at idle. It didn't drop highway mileage much. At 6000' elevation i think they're almost too much, they don't 'come on' until a bit above 2100 rpm so i had to change the way i take off from stop lights. Haven't heard about the other 2.

What kind of gain did you see from the L&M cams over stock? You say they “come on” at 2100rpms you saying they start making some initial power there or they buck/lug below during normal driving?

Streetpwr281

Established Member

We need to aggregate all the specs on these various NSR cams to establish which are more or less aggressive and their respective powerband ranges so owners can intelligently decide which are best for their specific combo and primary usage (Street or Strip). Also, which were specifically spec’d for the 5.8 in our 2013-2014’s.

07 Black Beauty

Established Member
I'm very Interested in this as well. I'm looking to do cams in the next year, I'm leaning towards the L&M NSR but would like to make an educated purchase.

KENS96M6

Established Member
Not to hijack the thread but could you provide more details on the tensioner modification. Thanks

Streetpwr281

Established Member
L&M NSR: $1520
- .460" Max Lift Intake, [email protected]" Duration; .460" Max Lift Exhaust, [email protected]" Duration

Cushman Motorsports Stg 2 NSR: $1079
.450"/.450" lift, 233/240 .050" duration, 115 LSA

Cushman Motorsports Stg 3 NSR: $1079
.450"/.450" lift, 238/245 .050" duration, 115 LSA

MMR Comp Cams Stg 1 NSR: $1199
Specs???

Lethal Performance Bullet NSR Cam: $1269
Specs???

BPS Bullet NSR Cams: $1299
Specs???

Kurgan Racing NSR: $1429
Specs???

Last edited:

Beercules

Established Member
Don't remember power gains, sorry. I've done a few other things since then. They do raise the power band. I can floor it and have no power until 2100, then it will push you into the seat, kinda like turbo lag... but I'm also at 6100' where the air is very thin. (I use a 75 shot to bring myself down to sea level).
I'm using the low vacuum bypass, ive tried modifying it for a 2nd sensing hose for vacuum, I'm even using an external spring to close it quicker... I've come to the conclusion it's just the cams and thin air.

What kind of gain did you see from the L&M cams over stock? You say they “come on” at 2100rpms you saying they start making some initial power there or they buck/lug below during normal driving?

Beercules

Established Member
Last edited:

Streetpwr281

Established Member

Streetpwr281

Established Member
Don't remember power gains, sorry. I've done a few other things since then. They do raise the power band. I can floor it and have no power until 2100, then it will push you into the seat, kinda like turbo lag... but I'm also at 6100' where the air is very thin. (I use a 75 shot to bring myself down to sea level).
I'm using the low vacuum bypass, ive tried modifying it for a 2nd sensing hose for vacuum, I'm even using an external spring to close it quicker... I've come to the conclusion it's just the cams and thin air.

A bit concerning but as stated the 6000’ elevation likely not a fair comparison for me in FL. Hmmm

Users who are viewing this thread