NSR Cam Choices - Best Option

Catmonkey

I Void Warranties!
Established Member
Premium Member
It's a given, the more lift and duration the camshaft has, the higher up the rpm band both peak torque and horsepower occur. Bringing lobe centerlines and lobe separation angles into the mix just makes it more confusing.

What you gain up top you loose on the bottom. It's not necessarily an issue, but bear in mind it practically makes 6th gear useless with it's 0.5:1 ratio.

Streetpwr281

Established Member
It's a given, the more lift and duration the camshaft has, the higher up the rpm band both peak torque and horsepower occur. Bringing lobe centerlines and lobe separation angles into the mix just makes it more confusing.

What you gain up top you loose on the bottom. It's not necessarily an issue, but bear in mind it practically makes 6th gear useless with it's 0.5:1 ratio.

Agreed. Which is why I’m looking for all the various NSR can grind specs and performance data available (in 2013/2014 5.8L GT500) so I can choose wisely for my 100% streetcar. I definitely want the lopey idle sound and rwhp/rwtq gains but not with an exaggerated decline in driveability.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

gimmie11s

I Race Pontiacs
Established Member
Premium Member

x10.

Some of that big fat level torque curve (what makes these cars so enjoyable to many people) goes away with a cam change.

If you are after a particular HP number, you don't have a choice... you'll have to eventually move to larger cams.

If you are not after a huge HP number and simply want cams for the "sound", then you might walk away disappointed with the reduced drivability and a torque curve that has moved further up the RPM band--- not to mention you'll be into it for over $3k assuming a shop installs.

Streetpwr281

Established Member
x10.

Some of that big fat level torque curve (what makes these cars so enjoyable to many people) goes away with a cam change.

If you are after a particular HP number, you don't have a choice... you'll have to eventually move to larger cams.

If you are not after a huge HP number and simply want cams for the "sound", then you might walk away disappointed with the reduced drivability and a torque curve that has moved further up the RPM band--- not to mention you'll be into it for over $3k assuming a shop installs.

I’m looking for the right middle ground. Stock cams are designed for 13psi, 662hp, and other factory parameters. They cannot be ideal for my combo that will now have a Whipple 2.9 Gen 3 pushing ~ 18psi (pre-cams), 1 7/8” LTs, and targeted for 775rwhp - 800rwhp. L&M NSRs may be too aggressive in terms of duration for my intended street usage 2000rpms - 6500rpms range. That’s why I’m broadening my search to all options. Another reason for cam swap is to alleviate some peak boost in acheiving greater peak hp/tq on pump gas.

Streetpwr281

Established Member
x10.

I’m looking for the right middle ground. Stock cams are designed for 13psi, 662hp, and other factory parameters. They cannot be ideal for my combo that will now have a Whipple 2.9 Gen 3 pushing ~ 18psi (pre-cams), 1 7/8” LTs, and targeted for 775rwhp - 800rwhp. L&M NSRs may be too aggressive in terms of duration for my intended street usage 2000rpms - 6500rpms range. That’s why I’m broadening my search to all options. Another reason for cam swap is to alleviate some peak boost in acheiving greater peak hp/tq on pump gas.

Bearbo

Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
Double post and I two double what you are looking for. Waiting for the experts for more enlightenment. Good stuff so far.

Sielmo

Established Member
Agreed. Which is why I’m looking for all the various NSR can grind specs and performance data available (in 2013/2014 5.8L GT500) so I can choose wisely for my 100% streetcar. I definitely want the lopey idle sound and rwhp/rwtq gains but not with an exaggerated decline in driveability.

I have the JDM SS, required springs. Definitely changes the drivability zone... A bit hitchy below 1800rpm and combined with grabby clutch, makes driving in heavy traffic mode of a chore. Great power and not my daily driver but probably the best cams for daily drivers that require springs. With that said, NSRs are what I'd consider first if doing over.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

biminiLX

never stock
Established Member
Premium Member
I have the JDM SS, required springs. Definitely changes the drivability zone... A bit hitchy below 1800rpm and combined with grabby clutch, makes driving in heavy traffic mode of a chore. Great power and not my daily driver but probably the best cams for daily drivers that require springs. With that said, NSRs are what I'd consider first if doing over.

Do you run gears? These JDM cams prefer 3.73-4.10s.
-J

biminiLX

never stock
Established Member
Premium Member

The problem is the 5.8 is vast minority and only truly custom cams will give exact desires and even then it's tough without someone whose tested a bunch.
Without having rods but really every other upgrade possible, I'd recommend the mildest NSRs.
One guy did Lethal cams, which I believe are Bullet Racing Cams, and you might call Mark at Bullet and discuss.
Last make sure cams checked for runout. JDM runs batches only when Comp has select highest quality cores.
It's important especially with DOHC.
My custom turbo SBF cam is billet for a reason for a 1200-1500hp build.
Good luck!
-J

Streetpwr281

Established Member

Do you know the cam specs on those JDM SS cams? Though not NSR could provide a relevant data point for driveability.

Sielmo

Established Member
Do you know the cam specs on those JDM SS cams? Though not NSR could provide a relevant data point for driveability.

I did get the cam cards and I'll look. Despite doing all the installation myself, I'm not well versed at reading them.. Lol. More to follow...

Streetpwr281

Established Member
The problem is the 5.8 is vast minority and only truly custom cams will give exact desires and even then it's tough without someone whose tested a bunch.
Without having rods but really every other upgrade possible, I'd recommend the mildest NSRs.
One guy did Lethal cams, which I believe are Bullet Racing Cams, and you might call Mark at Bullet and discuss.
Last make sure cams checked for runout. JDM runs batches only when Comp has select highest quality cores.
It's important especially with DOHC.
My custom turbo SBF cam is billet for a reason for a 1200-1500hp build.
Good luck!
-J

I’ve got a message in w Lethal regarding their NSR cam which is a Bullet Racing grind. Peaked my interest as the 2014 GT500 customer example they provided made 774rwhp/874rwtq on pump 93 and a full bolt on pullied down TVS. Serious tq. Curious if they will divulge specs.

biminiLX

never stock
Established Member
Premium Member
Not sure JDM likes them posted. Their experience and expensive testing, private label specs. You can't order their specs from Comp only through JDM. They are big.
And Selma you'd like the 4.10s I cruise 6th no problem.
Drove to track ran 10.00@145 cruise control home.
-J

biminiLX

never stock
Established Member
Premium Member
I’ve got a message in w Lethal regarding their NSR cam which is a Bullet Racing grind. Peaked my interest as the 2014 GT500 customer example they provided made 774rwhp/874rwtq on pump 93 and a full bolt on pullied down TVS. Serious tq. Curious if they will divulge specs.

No offense but I don't buy that torque for a minute. I'll also say you don't want that much anyway, will never hook.
Look at my 965rwhp dyno, that's the torque curve you want I think mine was 830-840rwtq
-J

Streetpwr281

Established Member
The Cushman Cams are intriguing as they Slot in below the L&M specs and have a 115 LSA opposed to 116 LSA. Stg 2 is 233/240 @ .050” and Stg 3 is 238/245 @ .050” compared to 239/247 @ .050” of L&M. Wish I had the duration info @ .050” on our stock 2013-2014 cams to judge size relative to stock.

biminiLX

never stock
Established Member
Premium Member
Our stock cams are from '05-06 Ford GT, same cams and you can find them. Always tiny compared to aftermarket. I know catmonkey has custom grinds if talk to him.
I wanted max effort TVS so JDM was easy choice.
I should have the cam cards also; I'll tell you on PM but not post publicly in respect to JDM
-J

fearthesnake

Established Member
No offense but I don't buy that torque for a minute. I'll also say you don't want that much anyway, will never hook.
Look at my 965rwhp dyno, that's the torque curve you want I think mine was 830-840rwtq
-J
Agree. Personally I would call Bob Kurgan at Kurgan motorpsorts in Atlanta. He will work with you directly and make a specific cam to fit your application then tune it for you. One of the best around.

Users who are viewing this thread