odd tire wear

Blue'03SVT

Established Member
While changing out my wheels and tires today, I noticed some very odd wear on the front tires. There were dips in the tread in a regular recurring pattern on the inside of each tire. Each dip was approximately 3 inches long. I have never seen something like this, but I know something isn't right for this wear. Any idea what could cause this?

Blue'03SVT

Established Member
I didn't see any leaking from them, and shouldn't suspect any with just over 35K miles, right? I just went and did a "jounce" check, and they are both very tight as well.

BTW, these were on BBS RS-GT wheels 18x8.5 wheels with 245/40 Good Year Eagle F1 tires on the front.

getTwisted

I Remember My First Beer.
Established Member
I ran some cheap off brand tires on my DD and noticed wear like this. Purchased a more expensive brand and the problem was solved.

Blue'03SVT

Established Member
I just crossed 35k miles. From what I see in the receipts, these wheels and tires were on the car for just over 10k miles--Good Year Eagle F1 tires--not cheap at all when looking at replacement prices today! I'll have to check the ball joints and wheel bearings layer this week. Would either of these items cause the described wear?

Blue'03SVT

Established Member
Yep, that's why they look like--on the inside edge of the tread. So this can be caused by many things according to the reading. Off balance wheels, worn shocks, wheel bearings, bushings, ball joints, etc. I do remember when backing it out of the driveway this weekend with the wheels turned all of the way to the left, it felt like something was binding, and then I heard a pop sound. I chalked it up to slipping on dirt or something--could this be a sign of one particular worn part?

Users who are viewing this thread