OEM Goodyear tires on the 13 GT500

krman68

Established Member
What everyone's thoughts on the Goodyears that came with the car?

I took delivery in early Nov. Found that there was very little grip with these tires when they hadn't been warmed up. No traction on cold dry pavement. The ass end came out a few times at low speeds and thank god no cars were on the road.

I ended up picking a set of 12 Boss 302 Laguna wheels and put Pirelli ScottoZeros on and found much much better traction. No issues since then.....now my concern - will I have this problem once the weather warms up in spring? Or can I expect this BS then too? If so, I'm gonna ditch them for other summer rubber with better traction.

Chris!

Former Ford Dealer
Established Member
There are countless threads on the good years. They suck. Go with a michelin pilot sport or a nitto invo

Duncan4169

SVT Poster
Established Member
I find them good in warm weather but they are shitty in cold. Mich PSS are the best replacement in my opinion

Poppacapp

Established Member
I went with Nitto 555r drag radials on mine. Work great. Yeah.. replace every 10k miles.. and be careful in rain when they wear down... but the traction....is.....addicting.... :)

hognutz

Established Member
the road noise and cold grip on the good years suck. the cornering and warmer temp grip is ok.

Invo's have good strait line grip but they are not speed rated very high and will exibit sidewall flex at the limit. they work fine if you don't push the car there in the corners though. invo's are noticable worse than the goodyears in the turns.

I would look at the Michelin super sport's or the nt05 if they have the right sizes. the NT05 corner nicer than the invo's but the cold grip is is a bit less.

all of these tires will struggle a bit in cold temps at at this HP level most any dot tire will struggle.

DR are a good option if you don't have to deal with rain.

Poppacapp

Established Member
What size and stock rims?

I have the SVTPP with 20x9.5 OEM rears.. I went with 305/35-20 555r's and they fit fine... slight bulge but not bad.
The difference is AMAZING.. 1st and 2nd will spin on launch and hard 2nd shift on street at full 30+psi. But 2nd gear stomp hold decent, and 3rd and 4th hold good. I have "barked" the tires in 3rd and 4th... and this is in 50 degree weather and colder... I assume hotter days spring/summer they will grip 100% better. The caveat is the decreased tread life, and being careful in the rain when they get worn down.. have replacement set ready to go. As far as new condition as mine are now(less than 1000 miles on them) they ride like any other street tire, and perform flawlessly in the rain so far. They can be bought for around $315.00 each or so. Here are some pics I took the day I had them installed:

2012-12-05_16-54-02_348.jpg

2012-12-05_16-49-48_112.jpg

2012-12-05_16-48-55_606.jpg

2012-12-05_16-48-32_141.jpg

2012-12-05_16-49-17_724.jpg

On the lift during my MGW Shifter install

2012-12-11_13-30-20_889.jpg

2012-12-11_13-30-09_393.jpg

Last edited:

NametoShowOther

Established Member
on my 2011 - the goodyears have been fantastic on the road course but brutal in day to day driving. I live in houston and still it is not hot enough for the tires on most days. It is fun being the neighborhood alarm clock with "warming" the tires getting onto the on ramp on most days - until you realized you have worn out the tires just waking up the neighborhood!

I have installed Michelin Pilot SS and huge improvement on day to day driving. Not had them on the road course but can not imagine I will be unhappy

13COBRA

Resident Ford Dealer
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
What everyone's thoughts on the Goodyears that came with the car?

I took delivery in early Nov. Found that there was very little grip with these tires when they hadn't been warmed up. No traction on cold dry pavement. The ass end came out a few times at low speeds and thank god no cars were on the road.

I ended up picking a set of 12 Boss 302 Laguna wheels and put Pirelli ScottoZeros on and found much much better traction. No issues since then.....now my concern - will I have this problem once the weather warms up in spring? Or can I expect this BS then too? If so, I'm gonna ditch them for other summer rubber with better traction.

Pictures, please!

specizripn

Established Member
They are very sticky when fully warmed up, so you can burn them up at track days in the spring, but other than that they are useless.

Willie2

Established Member
Premium Member
I still have the oem goodyears on front. Will probably go invos or reg 555 up front when they wear down

Poppacapp, in the rear, are these taller than stock? would a 305/30 get rid of some of the bulge you describe? (assuming there is such a size)

Willie2

Established Member
Premium Member
I found an online calculator and found the following:

285/35 (stock): 27.85 inches tall
305/35 (yours): 28.40 inches tall
305/30 maybe: 27.20 inches tall

so stock is right between the two. I'm worried the 305/30's may be to "rubber-bandish"

krman68

Established Member
Thanks for the advise I will definitely change. Pix will come with the '12 Boss wheels I need to get some good weather and sun for pix

Poppacapp

Established Member
Poppacapp, in the rear, are these taller than stock? would a 305/30 get rid of some of the bulge you describe? (assuming there is such a size)

I didn't really measure the height.. I assume there is not much difference to worry about. Not sure if a 30 would decrease the bulge.. I have heard the nittos are narrow for the size they list. In comparison, the Toyo R888 305 would probably not work good on my 9.5" rim. I would think 30's would be too short of a sidewall.

That DOES remind me I need to pull my Garmin out and GPS verify my speedo. If I need to I'll fix it with the SCT.. but i don't think its off

Users who are viewing this thread