off duty deputy drives drunk and crashes into a house

thepizz

OP is a good person
Established Member
I understand that but can you see how the punishment doesn't fit the crime in this particular instance. Regular person can get a dui/dwi and keep their livelihood majority of times.

Just playing a devils advocate....

My cousin just got a DUI/DWI and subsequently lost his job. Having a license WAS a mandatory requirement for his job, even though he doesn't drive for a living. And in NJ, it is one of the 1st things listed as required when becoming a LEO. My uncle is State Corrections and is required to keep his license in good standing. Smaller towns/cities may let this slide, but in NJ we have 100 to 1 applicant to job ratio for LEOs. We have a standard, state issued test that over 40,000 take each time it is offered.

Last edited:

Snagged

Shenanigans!!!
Established Member
Well we are all only human and we all make mistakes. Just because he is a cop doesn't mean he is immune to that. Treat him like everyone else.

Driver500

Established Member
LEOs enjoy privileges as a result of their occupation. Consequently they are held to a higher standard. He should no longer be a cop.

ItsReal93

Established Member
I understand that but can you see how the punishment doesn't fit the crime in this particular instance. Regular person can get a dui/dwi and keep their livelihood majority of times.

Just playing a devils advocate....

My fiance drives a tanker for a living and if he got caught with a dwi he lose his job and most places wouldn't consider hiring him. This guys job also isn't like most job. A police officer especially shouldn't be able to have a dwi.

Plus I feel like crashing into a house is obviously worse than just getting pulled over for one.

Last edited:

Blk04Snake

Established Member
An officer was charge with DWI up here in Watertown, NY this week. It hasn't been a good week for NY law enforcement.

Just read that one in Massena NY got one within the past week or so as well. He hit a utility pole. A Village patrolman and the investigation was immediately turned over to the State Police. At least they're not trying to brush it under the carpet. I'm sure they would have tried if there wasn't an accident involved though.

motoman991

Banned
Just read that one in Massena NY got one within the past week or so as well. He hit a utility pole. A Village patrolman and the investigation was immediately turned over to the State Police. At least they're not trying to brush it under the carpet. I'm sure they would have tried if there wasn't an accident involved though.

They probably would try to hide it. Corruption is awesome.

ItsReal93

Established Member
Wonder if he's ever arrested anyone for a DUI/DWI before

I know he's pulled over quite a few people for dwi... What's funny is before he recently deleted his fb he had posts basically bashing people for drinking and driving...go figure.

svtcop

Pain Don't Hurt
Established Member
It shouldn't end well for him.

No excuse for it.

He can get an attorney and fight it like the rest of the schwaps that get ovi's. But when you crash into houses in your neighborhood and test nearly twice the limit...your goose is kinda cooked.

It's probable he violated numerous departmental policies that will find him looking for another career path. As long as the arresting officer's paperwork is squared away and his departmental internal investigation is done properly.

WireEater

Dumpster Baby
Established Member
Just goes to show that none of us are perfect but he needs to be treated as all other. His job is held at a higher level of responsibility when it comes to upholding these laws and should be dealt with appropriately.

Zinc03Cobra

Super Trooper
Established Member
yikes... some of the member reactions here surprise me. Unfortunate news for LE. It reflects poorly on all of us and takes an incredibly long time to get back to a "good reputation" with the public. No one is above the law. No one here was there to know 100% of the circumstances. Saying he should be fired shows your ignorance to "innocent until proven guilty." Gladly no one was hurt as a result of his intoxication. As for the "negotiating a corner" statement... You've obviously never written many traffic collision reports.

thepizz

OP is a good person
Established Member
yikes... some of the member reactions here surprise me. Unfortunate news for LE. It reflects poorly on all of us and takes an incredibly long time to get back to a "good reputation" with the public. No one is above the law. No one here was there to know 100% of the circumstances. Saying he should be fired shows your ignorance to "innocent until proven guilty." Gladly no one was hurt as a result of his intoxication. As for the "negotiating a corner" statement... You've obviously never written many traffic collision reports.

Isn't the guilt proven once he tested over the legal BAC level? Or did I miss something? :shrug: I thought cops protecting cops, no matter what, died in the '80s.

turnpike_cruise

4.10's FTMFW
Established Member

Easy there killer. We are entitled to our opinions. Even the LEO's on here are saying he is / should be screwed. It is not like anyone said hang him high. Just he should be brought to the same justice that eveyone else is. Maybe held to a higher standard since he is LE.

Orange Dreamer

Established Member
Plenty of others out there will lose their job due to a DUI/DWI why should he be any different?

He should lose his license and his job (since he is unable to drive now) and suffer any consequence any regular civilian would.

rubicon04

SVT Poster
Established Member

:dw: innocent untill proven guilty went out the window when he tested at .15 after he hit a house. I might even venture to say the corner came out victorious in the negotiations.

Once again here are the circumstances that matter.Im sure the community he was supposed to be upholding the law in does not care about the rest.

Officer hits house ..said Officer blows a .15 .the end.

Hopefully its goodbye career. I certainly believe in second chances but not when it comes to situations like this. It is 100% inexcusable

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread