off duty deputy drives drunk and crashes into a house

ItsReal93

Established Member
Erie County Sheriff Deputy Charged with DWI | wgrz.com

AKRON, NY-- An Erie County Sheriff Deputy has found himself on the wrong side of the law after he was charged with DWI this week.

The Sheriff's Department says a 911 call was received Monday just after 2am reporting a car had struck a house at the intersection of Mechanic Street and Buell Street in the Village of Akron.

Deputies say the car, driven by Daniel Harris, 25, of Akron, was traveling north on Mechanic Street, when Harris failed to negotiate a corner, going off of the side of the road and hit a house.

Harris was not seriously hurt. No one in the house was injured in the accident.

Deputies charged Harris with Driving While Intoxicated and Failure to Keep Right. His BAC level was .15%.

A spokesperson for the Sheriff's Department says Harris was off-duty and driving his own personal car.

Harris was released on traffic tickets, and has been scheduled to appear in the Village of Akron Court on February 22.

..this has caused quite a debate around here...just curious as to what everyone thinks...slap on the wrist because everyone makes mistakes, or be punished just like everyone else, get fired, etc.

STAMPEDE3

SAULS BROTHER
Super Moderator
Erie County Sheriff Deputy Charged with DWI | wgrz.com

AKRON, NY-- An Erie County Sheriff Deputy has found himself on the wrong side of the law after he was charged with DWI this week.

The Sheriff's Department says a 911 call was received Monday just after 2am reporting a car had struck a house at the intersection of Mechanic Street and Buell Street in the Village of Akron.

Deputies say the car, driven by Daniel Harris, 25, of Akron, was traveling north on Mechanic Street, when Harris failed to negotiate a corner, going off of the side of the road and hit a house.

Harris was not seriously hurt. No one in the house was injured in the accident.

Deputies charged Harris with Driving While Intoxicated and Failure to Keep Right. His BAC level was .15%.

A spokesperson for the Sheriff's Department says Harris was off-duty and driving his own personal car.

Harris was released on traffic tickets, and has been scheduled to appear in the Village of Akron Court on February 22.

..this has caused quite a debate around here...just curious as to what everyone thinks...slap on the wrist because everyone makes mistakes, or be punished just like everyone else, get fired, etc.

Punished just like everyone else.
But that doesn't say much considering there are people in the paper weekly with 4th offense DWI.

Blown_By_You

Richard Head
Established Member
My girlfriend's best friend did that a couple of years ago..

She's 26 and just got her 3rd DUI a few months ago..

If these asshole politicians are so adamant that marijuana be illegal, they should ban alcohol as well...

ford_racer

King of SVTP
Established Member
I like how they call it "negotiating a corner". What does the corner have to gain out of this bartering?

02fordsvt

Established Member
An officer was charge with DWI up here in Watertown, NY this week. It hasn't been a good week for NY law enforcement.

Instigator99

427 whaaaaat?
Established Member
IMO he should be severely punished to the full extent of the law, and then some disciplinary action from his job. He is a LEO, he is supposed to uphold and enforce the standard.

-Eric

ItsReal93

Established Member
Punished just like everyone else.
But that doesn't say much considering there are people in the paper weekly with 4th offense DWI.

I agree. There was someone around here a few yrs ago that somehow had almost 10. It's crazy!

If these asshole politicians are so adamant that marijuana be illegal, they should ban alcohol as well...

How does she still have a license? That's ridiculous. I agree with you on that, but I don't think the views on marijuana will change anytime soon...

Probably thought he was on the median.

wouldn't be surprised if an excuse like that is used.

I like how they call it "negotiating a corner". What does the corner have to gain out of this bartering?

I thought the same thing when I read that.

An officer was charge with DWI up here in Watertown, NY this week. It hasn't been a good week for NY law enforcement.

Hmmm...must be a new trend

IMO he should be severely punished to the full extent of the law, and then some disciplinary action from his job. He is a LEO, he is supposed to uphold and enforce the standard.

-Eric

I completely agree with this!

Blown_By_You

Richard Head
Established Member
I agree. There was someone around here a few yrs ago that somehow had almost 10. It's crazy!

How does she still have a license? That's ridiculous. I agree with you on that, but I don't think the views on marijuana will change anytime soon...

She doesn't.. She was driving around with a suspended because she never paid all her restitution, had no insurance, got hammered on Halloween, was offered multiple rides home, refused, drove and hit a parked trailer.. :nonono:

She's actually a really sweet girl, but is a bonified alcoholic.. She gets WASTED about 5 nights a week.. It's sad..

She goes to trial next month.. She will be doing some prison time for this one..

Even after she gets out, it won't change..

thepizz

OP is a good person
Established Member
Bottom line, the LEO should be fired. My brother is a LEO and it's in his contract as one of the grounds for dismissal.

ItsReal93

Established Member
She doesn't.. She was driving around with a suspended because she never paid all her restitution, had no insurance, got hammered on Halloween, was offered multiple rides home, refused, drove and hit a parked trailer.. :nonono:

She's actually a really sweet girl, but is a bonified alcoholic.. She gets WASTED about 5 nights a week.. It's sad..

She goes to trial next month.. She will be doing some prison time for this one..

Even after she gets out, it won't change..

Wow, that's pretty sad. I hope for her sake she has some kind of reality check and gets the help she needs.

Bottom line, the LEO should be fired. My brother is a LEO and it's in his contract as one of the grounds for dismissal.

I thought the same....getting pulled over for dwi is bad enough...smashing into a house just takes it to a whole different level....plus being a cop...and he's suspended with pay...what a lesson!

Last edited:

FoxFour

Peace,Love and Soul!
Established Member
Will he be punished to the full extent of the law? Not if the police union has anything to say about it.

Bad spelling courtesy of my HTC Thunderbolt.

Last edited:

Common

Established Member

I understand that but can you see how the punishment doesn't fit the crime in this particular instance. Regular person can get a dui/dwi and keep their livelihood majority of times.

Just playing a devils advocate....

Shokker88

Established Member

Easy there big guy. No need to punish those of us that know how to do it. The only thing I do wrong when I'm drunk is misjudge friend or foe in Modern Warfare. I might misjudge the location of the toilet bowl every now and then too.

Last edited:

canibus

Established Member
I understand that but can you see how the punishment doesn't fit the crime in this particular instance. Regular person can get a dui/dwi and keep their livelihood majority of times.

If he gets to keep his job, he should get on foot patrol.

astrodudepsu

1of72 Hater
Established Member

Might be a majority that could keep their "normal jobs", but there are a LOT of jobs where getting a DUI will oust you, any job with as much driving as a police officer should probably get cut. I know most people with CDL's would lose their driving based jobs with a DUI.

Not even mentioning the fact that cops also carry firearms.

Users who are viewing this thread