Offered 20k on trade?? WTH??

nduction03

Established Member
At the dealership today looking to get another ride. The highest bid (yes, some were lower than this) for my 03 Cobra, pure stock was 20k. How do you lose 14k in value in 12 months? I dont know whether to be shocked or just saddened.

Brad

Banned
Originally posted by nduction03
At the dealership today looking to get another ride. The highest bid (yes, some were lower than this) for my 03 Cobra, pure stock was 20k. How do you lose 14k in value in 12 months? I dont know whether to be shocked or just saddened.

If this your first new car? What do you expect them to do, lose money off you?

GoatDaddy

Hey Aaron, you better go rein them sheep in. A little harsh anal discipline straightens 'em right up.

I'm curious too what nduction would like to get out of it. Depreciation is a bitch, but that much?? Definitely get more selling privately.

nduction03

Established Member
Re: Re: Offered 20k on trade?? WTH??

Originally posted by Brad
If this your first new car? What do you expect them to do, lose money off you?

Ah grasshopper. Between my wife and I of 14 years, we have bought 10 new cars in that time. Yeah, I know a little about new cars and depreciation. Dont expect everyone on this board to be a kid.

The cars you expect to lose trmendous value are the hyundas, kia's, etc. Look at what a Dodge Stratus does off the lot....ouch. Now go look at a Honda Accord,,, Chevy or Ford full size pickup. Even the vette doesnt loose this much value. My original point was.....loosing just short of HALF of the value the first year is a little extreme.

99cobrablack

Non-premium'
Established Member
Most of the dealers in this area are offering dealer auction prices rather than looking at kelley blue book and nada. This is really true on 96-01 stuff . But alot of o3s are going the same way.

mswaim

Dark Side Poster
Established Member
Twenty Grand is a bit low for trade-in value, but not by much. The 2004 models are already on the lots, and some dealers are still trying to unload new 03's.

THE FLASH

"Mr. Sulu, Warp factor 3"
Established Member
With all the 0% finance rates being offered for 60 months or higher, it is not a used car market. 20K is a bit low. I got more than that for my 01 vert cobra I traded in for an 03. Someone told me to try Carmax, They will give what the market is going for. They will buy your car even if you dont buy one from them.

JC

Brad

Banned
Re: Re: Re: Offered 20k on trade?? WTH??

Ah grasshopper. Between my wife and I of 14 years, we have bought 10 new cars in that time. Yeah, I know a little about new cars and depreciation. Dont expect everyone on this board to be a kid.

The cars you expect to lose trmendous value are the hyundas, kia's, etc. Look at what a Dodge Stratus does off the lot....ouch. Now go look at a Honda Accord,,, Chevy or Ford full size pickup. Even the vette doesnt loose this much value. My original point was.....loosing just short of HALF of the value the first year is a little extreme.

Expect to lose alot of value on any mustang. 5k the second you drive it off the lot. This isnt some special edition collector car, its a cobra 13000 stong this model year, then 04's. Good work SVT, you over produced the freaking car by about 20,000

Good luck selling it. Private party is the way to go.

03DOHC

Established Member
Re: Re: Re: Offered 20k on trade?? WTH??

.....loosing just short of HALF of the value the first year is a little extreme.
Half? You paid ~40G's for your car? Sorry to hear that.

KBB rates mine at $28,980 for Blue Book Private Party Report.

And $26,175 for trade in value.

Dealer trade in will rape you anyway. They will make their money.

seunglee

Established Member
I am kinda wondering if I should get a new car. Wondering if its more worth it to keep my car or sacrifice and get a new car... but dont think i'll find anything better... you guys think I should trade my in for a 04 cobra? or even a 03? how much more should I have to pay???? Anyone interested in a saleen?

stangin

Established Member
Gees, 14,000 loss.. I should have waited a year before buying mine, I could have paid in the low 20,000 mark and had all the performance goodies already on it lol. Problem is I would have got one beat to death with my luck and the vibe and tick etc.. guess it worked out ok, had it for a year and I know I dont have the typical problems and the only one who beat on it was me.. or lack of beatings I should say!

Established Member
Guys, remember what the dealerships are doing to get rid of the unsold 03s... In Tampa they're going for under 28000. A friend of mine just got quoted 31000 for an 04 Vert. They don't care what the blue book trade value is. If they are having trouble selling still new cars for 28, they aren't going to buy a used one for 26, cause they won't be able to sell it for better than 24 or 25...

nduction03

Established Member
I was looking at the new Ford F150 4WD's. Nice. Anyway, my Cobra is 1 year old with 30k miles. Looks like I'll be driving it awhile longer, maybe drive my old pickup in to work a day or two a week to keep the miles off the snake.

IDAREU

Banned
Well now, you have very strong miles for a one year old car. I think if they offered 20 k with that kind of mileage then maybe you should take it. I know I would not be interested in buying a 03 with only 6,000 miles left on the warranty . But maybe you find someone who warranty is not important and want to mod the car.
Good luck.

Speedfreek

Established Member
depends on your market, I know here they sell very well, the most I've seen one bring at the auction was $24k with 7k miles on it.

03DOHC

Established Member
I was looking at the new Ford F150 4WD's. Nice. Anyway, my Cobra is 1 year old with 30k miles. Looks like I'll be driving it awhile longer, maybe drive my old pickup in to work a day or two a week to keep the miles off the snake.
You took the $ hit from your mileage.

Users who are viewing this thread