Official GT 5.0/Boss 302 UOA thread

UnleashedBeast

Engine Lubrication Guru
Established Member
Just curious because i havent seen this yet, what are your thoughts on oil and storage? I have typically changed oil near the end of the driving season (in mn) and put less than 500 miles on it before leaving it for the winter. It will sit from november to april and not get started or driven until april. Is it best to do it this way or is it preferred to change the oil out in the spring, or change it both in fall and spring. I have heard of it all different ways, but was interested in what an oil guru had to say about it. I always just drove it in the spring like i had 500 miles on the oil.

It's better to change the oil the day you store it, with little to no miles on it. When you bring the car out in the spring, take it for a long drive, at least an hour. This will condition the oil for use all season long.

*assuming you are using a lubricant that is suitable to change once a year*

UnleashedBeast

Engine Lubrication Guru
Established Member
1st post was updated with latest UOA submissions. Thanks to all who contributed.

Latest trend findings, Royal Purple base formulation is no longer a true synthetic, HPS & XPR do not hold their viscosity (shearing).

UnleashedBeast

Engine Lubrication Guru
Established Member
Thank you to everyone who has contributed. The spreadsheet in post #1 has been updated with all latest submitted samples.

Motorcraft 5W-50 is still shear shear shearing away.

Mark Hone

More oil questions

Hey Beast: Amsoil aside (I know it's a great oil), I read in this forum that Pennzoil "Ultra" (and Platinum?) is a good off the shelf oil. Is it a true synthetic like M1 EP (but not as shear happy). And is reg. M1 really well refined crude as opposed to true synthetic (like Amsoil SS)? Thanks. Mark

Last edited:

UnleashedBeast

Engine Lubrication Guru
Established Member
Hey Beast: Amsoil aside (I know it's a great oil), I read in this forum that Pennzoil "Ultra" (and Platinum?) is a good off the shelf oil. Is it a true synthetic like M1 EP (but not as shear happy). And is reg. M1 really well refined crude as opposed to true synthetic (like Amsoil SS)? Thanks. Mark

Pennzoil Ultra, it's a GTL (Gas To Liquid) process creating base oil from natural gas. It's ultra pure, no pun intended. NOACK Volatility rivals Amsoil Signature Series.

Great stuff, and the best you can buy off the shelf.

UnleashedBeast

Engine Lubrication Guru
Established Member
Thanks to everyone who has submitted their UOA recently. Two cars added a follow up analysis to create trends.

UOA chart in post #1 was updated.

ace72ace

Egi Actum
Established Member
I will have another crap test result from my Royal Purple 'base' synthetic in a few weeks. I'm seriously debating using the rest of my RP in one of my other vehicles and see if I can find some Penzoil Ultra... What retailers/chains are carrying it?

UnleashedBeast

Engine Lubrication Guru
Established Member
I will have another crap test result from my Royal Purple 'base' synthetic in a few weeks. I'm seriously debating using the rest of my RP in one of my other vehicles and see if I can find some Penzoil Ultra... What retailers/chains are carrying it?

I do know all Pep Boys in my city carry it.

ace72ace

Egi Actum
Established Member
Thanks, I'll check out my local Pep Boys. Do they carry 5qt jugs or is it qt bottles only? I only buy stuff at Pep Boys when it's on sale, they are usually pretty expensive compared to Wal-mart and other discount stores.

Stormtrooper5.0

Established Member
So getting ready for the heat of Texas on this oil change. 2011 GT with some nitrous. Daily driver. Drag strip every couple of weeks. Do you recommend the 10w-40?

apex32

5.slow
Established Member
I will be getting another test done soon after some track time. I'll be interested to see the results and will obviously share!

UnleashedBeast

Engine Lubrication Guru
Established Member
UOA chart updated in post #1. I also updated the recommendation list in post #31 due to concerns from serious closed course competitors.

Thanks to everyone who has provided samples. We need more from the Boss 302 community to show more trends.

UnleashedBeast

Engine Lubrication Guru
Established Member
Spreadsheet updated for Boss 302 engines in post #1 of this thread. 5W-50 formulations are still shearing monsters, while true synthetic 10W-40 formulations hold their virgin viscosity far better.

Two Boss owners have submitted more than one sample, creating trends to watch improvement. Need more samples for comparison. There are 3x more samples from the Coyote engine. I'd like more from the Roadrunner.

Users who are viewing this thread