Official UOA thread with oil poll

What oil are you currently using in your Shelby 5.4L?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

stkjock

Corn Powered 900 HP!
Established Member
Troy - with the 10w40 did you notice the valve train was nosier? especially when cooler temps were around?

UnleashedBeast

Engine Lubrication Guru
Established Member
Just make sure that Beast remembers if you have the old cast block or the new aluminum block:poke:

Keep posting beast. Love the info!

I know by the year model if it's iron or aluminum block...unless it's a custom swap.

Thanks for the words of support. I really enjoy giving back to the community that I love. There are select people on Team Shelby that do not appreciate my input and believe that MC 5W-50 is the best lubricant to use in their Shelby.

Troy - with the 10w40 did you notice the valve train was nosier? especially when cooler temps were around?

No, it was quieter with Amsoil 10W-40 through the winter months than it was with Motorcraft 5W-50. MC 5W-50 actually has the specs of 20W-50 until it shears.

Last edited:

Boss Hoss 540

Just changed my Amsoil AMO and put in a fresh change for the fall LOL! It is hard and I know it is a waste of money but I sleep better still changing the Cobra oil every 4k. Will tell you that the tranny shifts smoother after going to Amsoil ATF.

UnleashedBeast

Engine Lubrication Guru
Established Member
Just changed my Amsoil AMO and put in a fresh change for the fall LOL! It is hard and I know it is a waste of money but I sleep better still changing the Cobra oil every 4k. Will tell you that the tranny shifts smoother after going to Amsoil ATF.

Enjoy the change, and the better UOA reports if you choose to test your oil. I love the way my transmission feels with Amsoil ATF. Friends ask me how I shift my car so fast....I tell them I have help. ;-)

Thanks for your support on Team Shelby...those guys wouldn't accept the truth if it hit them in the face.

jcthorne

Established Member
I run the Rotella T6 Syn 5W40 in the Shelby now. Have used it in many modular motors including a 4.6 32v supercharged, several 4.6s a 6.8v10 in a motorhome, stationary gen sets, a Harley and even a diesel pickup.

One thing that strikes me from the analysis reports and discourse above is the comparison to 'Regular Rotella T 5W40"

There is no such critter.

There is Rotella T5 15W40 which is a conventional lubricant. and Rotella T6 Synthetic 5W40. Note the diffrenece in viscosity indexes.

The prior labeling from a few years ago labeled them as Rotella T and Rotella T Synthetic. Still, there is no conventional Rotella 5W40.

UnleashedBeast

Engine Lubrication Guru
Established Member
Post #1 updated with new Red Line 5W-50 sample with 4,035 miles (line #9). Thanks for the sample Eric.

269b26d4.jpg

Iron is moderate considering this is an aluminum block. I would have expected half this much, but this doesn't indicate an issue just yet. We will wait to see how the next UOA looks with Amsoil 10W-40 before we throw up the red flags.

Lead is where I am concerned since you informed me that no leaded race fuel, or no fuel additive of any type was used in the tank. This is where we need to keep a close eye on with the next sample.

Silicon is in the normal range for only the second fill of oil to be in the sump. The lubricant is leaching silicon from the sealers used during assembly.

TBN looks far better in this sample than the previous sample from your wife's fill of Red Line 5W-50. This is more of what I would expect to see, not the sub 3.0 TBN from her sample with only 2,100 miles.

Oxidation should be ignored. Esters tend to give a false reading when you don't have a virgin sample to compare the used sample too. The machine must be calibrated for the proper base stock.

Viscosity sheared a bit, but not nearly as much as Motorcraft 5W-50. Although, I think we have already proven that the Shelby engine doesn't like 50 grade lubricants as well as some people believe is required to protect this engine.

Overall...don't worry just yet about your current sample. Maybe this is Red Line cleaning out initial wear metals from the previous factory fill. If that is the case....it's doing you a favor. Let's re-evaluate on the next UOA.

Last edited:

gr8snkbite

Established Member
got my blackstone results...now how the heck do you attach stuff to a post....:DOH:

UnleashedBeast

Engine Lubrication Guru
Established Member
Post #1 was updated with a new Motorcraft 5W-50 sample provided by gr8snkbite. Thank you Keith for contributing to the cause, and for paying the extra for TBN.

af5ded66.jpg

Wear Metals: This is typical of a new engine, no warning signs here. Your next sample will improve in this area as the engine breaks in. This is only the second fill of oil in the engine, so no worries here.

Silicon: Since this is only the second fill in this engine, silicon is naturally high. It's the engine lubricant leaching silicon from the sealers used in the assembly process.

Viscosity: The lubricant sheared to a very light 40 grade, almost a heavy 30 grade. This is normal for Motorcraft 5W-50.

TBN: This is showing us that Ford was right to say this is a 7,500 mile lubricant. It may go longer, but they kept the recommendation safe. Under 1.0 is considered low, but you still had active additive left in the lubricant. This is in line with other MC samples in the chart.

All is looking normal with your sample, sleep with ease.

NuclearPower

Established Member
Beast! Just order my Amsoil stuff (oil, oil filter, air filter). Plan on doing this weekend and sending off another MC sample. What I can't believe is that I was worried about it arriving ontime to do the oil change when I wanted...boy was I wrong. I ordered it on Monday and it was at the house by Wednesday at lunch!:rolling:WTF! Damn that's fast! Love it. Everything looks just as you have said, solid quality, robust design, etc.:pepper:
THANKS

UnleashedBeast

Engine Lubrication Guru
Established Member
That's the beauty of having warehouses across America and Canada. Your order should arrive in 2 days or less...with the exception of Alaska.

Get it all poured in, and let me know how you like it. Give me your honest feedback. Thanks for sending in another sample. You are helping the GT500 community and learning more about your car at the same time.

Users who are viewing this thread