Oil change help

venams03

Established Member
Time for my first oil change.

I always do the basic maintenance on my vehicles if I can and I definitely don't want my local dealer working on my car.

So is there an easy place to safely jack the front end up with a floor jack to change the oil? I'm guessing that you can get to the oil filter fine once the front end is up in the air a bit?

I think I'm going to use the Motorcraft oil & filter for at least the first oil change. Don't want any issues if something crops up

6-Speed

Established Member
I drive mine up on budget ramps that I made with 2 x 10s. Just be careful not to drive over the end like I almost did while backing up on them last week. The filter is accessible, but it mounts inverted over a structural beam. When you loosen the filter oil pours down all over that structure. Last time I changed the oil, I used a sheet of Aluminum foil to divert the oil into the drip pan and wiped off any that dripped on the car. The good folks at Ford really torque down the OEM filter, so make sure you have a good oil filter wrench to remove it; I recommend a plier type filter wrench that you can use to get a firm grip on it with both hands. The OEM filter case was crushed in a few areas when I finally removed it. Since the filter is inverted, I fill it with oil before installing and always apply a bead of oil on the gasket. I fill with 6.5 quarts (includes oil added to filter) of Motorcraft 5W50 synthetic oil, however I might switch to the Roush brand of oil on my next change along with a Ford Racing filter.

Oil_Change.jpg

Last edited:

LEESTOYSTANG

Established Member
Invest in some drive up ramps... Changing the oil in this car is so easy. Just make sure you make a paper funnel so when the oil starts to come out of the oil filter it wont get caught up in the underside... I changed mine about 3 weeks ago with the Motorcraft and FRPP filter.. Just my $.02

me32

BEASTLY SHELBY GT500 TVS
Premium Member
I have heard of a few folks that have damaged their cars jacking from that point.

how is that, i didnt have any issuse with it. the only thing i can thing of might be a couple scatches from the jack if moved while still touching the car. but whatever works for can also help others

6-Speed

Established Member
how is that, i didnt have any issuse with it. the only thing i can thing of might be a couple scatches from the jack if moved while still touching the car. but whatever works for can also help others
Don't know all the details, but if I recall, that crossmember got bent due to the weight of the GT500. Someone over at Team Shelby posted some pictures. Might not happen to everyone, but there might be risks. I'll see if I can find the thread.

venams03

Established Member
I think I'm going to make my own stand like 6-speed did. Don't want to take a chance at crushing the K-member (ouch!)

Do any of the retail houses sell Motorcraft oil or am I stuck buying from the dealer?

Rob Nelson

Established Member
I've never had any issues jacking from the front cross member either. Just use a rag on top of the jack so the cross member doesn't get scratched up.

6-Speed

Established Member
Here is a link to the instructions I used to build the wood ramps. I made a light weight version leaving out the long base level. I wear mechanics gloves when handling them to avoid the splinters. They stack pretty well when you invert one and stack the opposite ends together.

Mustangworld - Build yourself some ramps !

Tarball

Established Member
I fill with 6.5 quarts (includes oil added to filter) of Motorcraft 5W50 synthetic oil, however I might switch to the Roush brand of oil on my next change along with a Ford Racing filter.

Why its just Valvoline with the Roush name put on it?

6-Speed

Established Member
Don't know all the details, but if I recall, that crossmember got bent due to the weight of the GT500. Someone over at Team Shelby posted some pictures. Might not happen to everyone, but there might be risks. I'll see if I can find the thread.
Searched through TS for a few hours and cannot find the old thread I was looking for. I found some advice and damage pictures from a car that was jacked up by the subframe end of the beams that meet up with the cross member (K-member). The subframe was bent where the beams bolted to them. Funny that the latest 2008 Shelby Annual shows a KR jacked up by those same ponts on page 56.

Last edited:

RSH427R

Established Member
I jacked mine there when I changed my springs. No issues but I wouldn't do it on a regular basis. Ramps for sure when it comes to oil changes. He asked where to jack the front end. :thumbsup:

Users who are viewing this thread